Pennzoil ultra 10w30 good for extreme winter cold?

Hi all I have some Pennzoil ultra synthetic I bought on clearance at autozone,2013. Got 2 bottles 5w30, 3 10w30. 4.5 quart sump.wanna use them this coming oil change. I seen thier data sheets... Minus 49 F pour point!. That's the 10w30. Temps here january,Feb lows 9-13 degrees F. Uve read of others,who some only,had engine lock up with Mobil one ep 10w30. At minus 13 F. I learned years ago,using dino 5w30 in this,caused problems at 13 degrees outside. You could hear the posting mooo noise,took seconds for that oil too pump n.lubricate. Quaker state dino.or car wouldn't turn over.90,stop early 2000s. Think 10w30 Ultra will be fine?

Simple answer, YES!
However, what vehicle/engine are you going to use it in?
And I didn't understand your last sentence; ["Quaker state dino.or car wouldn't turn over.90,stop early 2000s. Think 10w30 Ultra will be fine?"]

It should work, although if you get a cold snap bringing temps down lower than you stated. IMO you'd be better suited with a 5W30. Living on Long Island I would not use your mix during the winter, even though many members here might say it's fine. Save it for the spring would be my suggestion, and sleep well this winter.

When I lived in Winnipeg - those were the HIGHS! 😎
Did you ever fish North of Winnipeg? Some of the greatest (and easiest) freshwater fishing in the world is north of the 60th parallel in Manitoba. Fishing season is often just three weeks in the late spring when the ice finally melts, and three weeks in the early fall. Summer fishing can be a struggle, as the weeds on the lakes in northern Manitoba grow crazy thick n heavy in the summer, where many of the ample fish live.

Hi all I have some Pennzoil ultra synthetic I bought on clearance at autozone,2013. Got 2 bottles 5w30, 3 10w30. 4.5 quart sump.wanna use them this coming oil change. I seen thier data sheets... Minus 49 F pour point!. That's the 10w30. Temps here january,Feb lows 9-13 degrees F. Uve read of others,who some only,had engine lock up with Mobil one ep 10w30. At minus 13 F. I learned years ago,using dino 5w30 in this,caused problems at 13 degrees outside. You could hear the posting mooo noise,took seconds for that oil too pump n.lubricate. Quaker state dino.or car wouldn't turn over.90,stop early 2000s. Think 10w30 Ultra will be fine?
Let me get this straight, using a mix of 10w30 [-49 pour point] and 5w30 at temps down to 9F?
No brainer, of course it's good.
In the 60s,70s and 80's 10w30 was the #1 oil, and North America, north of Tennessee, did not come to a stop in the winter

Can't think of any car made the last 20 years that spec'd 10W30, so unless this is an older model, why not use the recommended oil now and save the 10W30 for spring? Will it cause problems? Not likely, but if you get a cold snap, the engine might be slow to turn over and if the battery is weak, might not start.

Reactions: FZ1
Did you ever fish North of Winnipeg? Some of the greatest (and easiest) freshwater fishing in the world is north of the 60th parallel in Manitoba. Fishing season is often just three weeks in the late spring when the ice finally melts, and three weeks in the early fall. Summer fishing can be a struggle, as the weeds on the lakes in northern Manitoba grow crazy thick n heavy in the summer, where many of the ample fish live.
I learned to fish (and sail) on Lake of the Woods, on the US - Canada border, east southeast of Winnipeg. Wonderful part of the world.

The answer is no. Per your title an oil with a 10W winter rating is not appropriate for extreme winter cold.

And it doesn’t matter what the base stocks are, the rating is a performance specification and if the oil exceeds the requirements for that specification then it must be labeled with the superior rating. If you had a failure of any oil with a 5W rating at 13 degrees then there was either an existing problem with the engine or defective oil. Even an oil with a 20W rating will pump at that temperature. An oil with a 5W winter rating is guaranteed to be pumpable down to a temperature of about -30 regardless of the base stock composition.

Also pour point is not an accurate metric for cranking and pumpability of the oil. You can have an oil with a very low pour point yet fail the requirements for a specific winter rating as you see here. It doesn’t mean it’s a bad oil but it does illustrate why pour point is an inferior metric for cold weather performance. Forget the data sheet and read what’s printed on the front of the container.

Last edited:
Back on topic - this is 9+ year old oil, right? Bought on clearance in 2013?

Probably had been sitting on the shelf for a year or two before that, so, I’m not sure I would use it at all.

I think I’d recycle it and buy new…

Can't think of any car made the last 20 years that spec'd 10W30, so unless this is an older model, why not use the recommended oil now and save the 10W30 for spring? Will it cause problems? Not likely, but if you get a cold snap, the engine might be slow to turn over and if the battery is weak, might not start.
Actually the 2006 Chrysler 300 i had spec'd 10w30 and 89 octane gas true odd ball !

Use both bottles of 5w-30 and 2.5 quarts of 10w-30 and you are good to go. 10W-30 itself is good down to zero degrees. Use the left over half quart of 10w-30 for make up or your next change when it gets warmer.

At 13F you could run all sorts of thick oils, 15W40 starts to make my tractor starter work a bit in 10F to15F compared to 5W40, but it still starts right up... With 10w30 synthetic I would think you are fine down to around -10 to -20F in 99% of cars.
The only time I've ever heard a car engine oil pump groan was in -42f with bulk "5W30" and it sounded not good for 10 seconds and then you could hear the power steering pump complaining over the engine, and then 30 seconds later, it all sounded pretty normal and that engine went happily running to the wreckers 14 years later...

this is 9+ year old oil, right? Bought on clearance in 2013?

Probably had been sitting on the shelf for a year or two before that, so, I’m not sure I would use it at all.
Because? It's been in the ground millions of years, what's a few years on the shelf after being refined and processed into sealed bottles going to hurt? Does it have an expiration date on it?

Because? It's been in the ground millions of years, what's a few years on the shelf after being refined and processed into sealed bottles going to hurt? Does it have an expiration date on it?
Some of the oil, the important part, the additive package, wasn’t in the ground for millions of years. That part, those additives, have a shelf life. So, yes, it does, actually, have an expiration date.

What does Pennzoil say about it?

Five years.

This oil is ten years old.

Also says after 5 years additives may drop out of solution. So all you have to do is shake your bottles every few years? And that's from a 15 year old old post. Hasn't the recommendations been updated? I see no expiration date on my M1 jugs.

Back