PCV

Status
Not open for further replies.
In most cases PCV valves are not that expensive and should be replaced regularly, IMHO. I replace them at 60K intervals or when they don't rattle anymore. They are probably the most important thing that lets blowby gases out of the engine and prevents sludge. It's also worth checking the rubber hoses and grommets in the PCV system, and also the breather hose (usually connected to your air filter and going to the engine somewhere.) to make sure the rubber is still flexible and tight. If this stuff isn't working properly don't be surprised if your engine sludges up, regardless of what oil you're using. It probably costs about as much as the average oil change for most cars and makes a big difference!

The last two used vehicles that I've purchased had PCV problems when I bought them... and in fact this has become a lesson to me. I will never buy another used car without checking out the PCV. Each of these cars had oil being sucked up into the intake because of the PCV problem.

It might be a simple indicator of the care and maintenance a used car has seen. Usually they're easy to pull out and inspect.

For those newer ones that aren't easily replaced or aren't serviceable, I sure hope the engineering work has gone in to making sure they never fail!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back