Pick one car if you had to made it last the rest of your life.

Interesting that they (Plymouth) had no problem with saying it was made in Japan by Mitsubishi. Very little badge engineering going on then.
I think it was a way to latch onto one of the few good things the Chrysler Corporation had to offer in those days. They'd probably sell fewer of them if they hadn't mentioned they were from Japan! I also remember a commercial they had, which probably came a few years earlier: 🎶"Take the Mitsubishi bridge, from Japan!"
🎶

I thought about an early S10 - I had an '83 that was super simple to work on and that was as tough as an old boot.
I had an '83 and changing the rear main seal was a real chore, took two days I think? lots of winching on the motor to get out far enough enough to do the job.

Doors only closed to the first click. I don't think it was the hinges being work, rather it was the cab settling. I mean, there was nothing left behind the front wheel wheels, big old holes for ventilation. I filed the latch pins, got the doors to close for day... following day, no more closing fully.

Wasn't a bad truck though, just would have been better if half of it hadn't returned to Mother Earth.

I think it was a way to latch onto one of the few good things the Chrysler Corporation had to offer in those days. They'd probably sell fewer of them if they hadn't mentioned they were from Japan! I also remember a commercial they had, which probably came a few years earlier: 🎶"Take the Mitsubishi bridge, from Japan!"
🎶
I almost bought a new Champ in 1980, but the only ones the local dealers had were automatics. I still ended up with a Mitsubishi- a 1979 Arrow 2.6 GT.

A 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0 V6. 🙂 or a Nissan truck or body on frame SUV with the 4.0 V6. I have more experience with Nissan in general having owned a Pathfinder, Frontier, and currently Xterra. But also a 13’ Tacoma. Overall I’d probably choose a Tacoma.

A 2nd gen Tacoma with the 4.0 V6. 🙂 or a Nissan truck or body on frame SUV with the 4.0 V6. I have more experience with Nissan in general having owned a Pathfinder, Frontier, and currently Xterra. But also a 13’ Tacoma. Overall I’d probably choose a Tacoma.
At least the engine will outlast the frame with a 2nd gen Tacoma :)

1993 Chevy S10 Ext Cab 4.3 V6 , manual transmission.
My first new vehicle was a dark green 1993 S-10 single cab short bed 4x4 with the 4.3L/4L60E transmission. I loved that truck but it did need a new transmission right after the warranty expired. Luckily GM paid for it since I had all of the transmission and fluid changes done at the dealer. It also needed valve seals during the warranty period.

After having kids, I had to upgrade to the 1998 ext-cab full-size Silverado 4x4 that I bought new and still own today.

I think if only one car it needs to be physically large, powerful, and a chick magnet.

Naturally this means Tahoe High Country 6.2 with some flavor of air or magnetic ride capability.

I already have mine. Simplicity for a Grand Caravan as it's a SE. Parts are plentiful and cheap. Love that I can put used modules with little effort. Bought in 18 at 3k and at 34k. Keep maintenance up and it will last. I know you said over 100k however there alot out there over 200k.

Here's a mental game for us to play... What one car (make, model and year range) would you choose if you could never replace it. You can repair it or rebuild it if you can find parts for it, but you can't replace it.

To make it interesting, let's say it will start with 100k miles on it, isn't a diesel pickup, and demerit points if you choose a Toyota Camry or Corolla.
Has to have 100k on it and it's my last ride-ever?
2022 Cadillac Escalade.

The one I'm driving now: 2014 E63 AMG-S Wagon. Gray on gray. 600ish HP, 1.1g in corners... 0-60 in 3.2 and about a 192 top speed. All with a full day of Costco shopping in the back.
Only change might be to go with a 2016 as it has auto folding mirrors and I think that's it?

E63S.jpg

Back