Pick one car if you had to made it last the rest of your life.

'68 to '72 Datsun 510 if I didn't have to drive in some snow.

Otherwise, c1999 Nissan Maxima.
The 510 certainly has robust running gear (and but for the wagon) has nice semi-trailing arm independent rear suspension... but I suspect you'd agree that body construction is on the cheap side. I'm not talking the obvious rust preventive methods... but simply that it's extremely light duty, flimsy. I had a '71 2 dr...

67 Healey 3000.
They were great machines. I had two, and wracked up miles on both. Super reliable if you understand them and know how they work. Easy to keep running well. Anyway, my 1963 triple carb BT7. I was running V-rated Semperits on those wheels. I had Koni shocks on all four corners, which was rare at the time. I was 20 - 21 when I owned this car. Lots of fun times and exciting adventures back then. That Healey was up and over Tioga Pass a couple of times. I trusted it 100%.

Scott

IMG_3405.jpeg

Last edited:
Well I have had my Cougar since 1969 after buying it from my father. Under my care for 56 years which is 80% of my lifetime. So a likely candidate. It is also a twofer sice it is also from the 60s. If not then I would choose a 1988-1992 Mazda 626 Hatchback LX.

Cougar_MtSoledad_1974_001.jpg

Last edited:
I love this question and have thought of this often myself.
1995 or 2005 Toyota Camry LE 4 cyl. So easy to live with.
I had a 95 Camry that Three Mile Island’d itself on me… replaced it with a Dodge Caliber.

I’d probably go for a 2003 Dodge Durango with the 4.7. Why the 4.7? There’s tons of them out there, and it’s a relatively straight forward swap to a 5.7 HEMI, of which there are a millions floating around. It also helps that I know their trouble spots and how to fix them.

'86 CHEVROLET Nova ( Corolla ) 1.6 Ltr. 4 door liftback . 3 speed or manual .
2nd place :
1981 (or 82 ?) Plymouth Champ 2 door hatchback : 1.6 Ltr. with twin stick . 4 speed manual coupled with lever for E ( Economy ) or P ( Power ) mode . Lowers gear ratio . Great for high amount of snow or hills . Very easy to maintain .

IMG_3703.JPG
IMG_3702.JPG
IMG_3700.JPG
IMG_3697.JPG

Last edited:
Interesting that they (Plymouth) had no problem with saying it was made in Japan by Mitsubishi. Very little badge engineering going on then.

Back