Pick one car if you had to made it last the rest of your life.

Only in the SW-those rust like CRAZY here, especially the frames! Looks great for 25+ years old, though.
Only has about 220k; pretty much never seen the inside of a garage. I never check the oil; just service it. Sucks the gas, though. I keep plugging the stone chip cracks in the windshield; 5 or more so far...

Still get offers outta the blue but she ain't for sale. My cowboy friends tell me, "Ya ain't ---- if ya ain't got a truck." And an SUV is not a truck... Threre's no other PU on the block; which is good because it comes back with a full tank. Sometimes with a warsh!

Last edited:
I have some questions about this game: 1. Why does it matter that the car starts with 100,000 miles already on the clock, and 2. Does the game guarantee one everything required to keep the car running, or is the idea to choose something that is so reliable and rebuildable, that the costs of keeping it on the road at, say, 1.2 million miles, are bearable.

Depending on the above, my choice would be either a current Honda Accord, optioned up, or a current Porsche 911, Manual, Coupe, base model.

Lastly, I need to call out the responder who specified a 1993 Chevy S-10, Manual. I assume that the choice is based on what is currently in the driveway, but holy smokes it is a wack choice.

Probably a 2008 or so Corolla with the 1ZZ-FE engine. Extremely easy to work on if need be and many examples around here with extremely high miles. The 08' I had was extremely reliable and easy to work on.

Also the same vintage of Pontiac Vibe. I had one of these and it just ran forever with oil changes and that's it.

Finally, a 2012-15 Scion XB. I currently own a 2012 and does not burn oil, is very easy to work on and gets very good mileage. It can haul small trailer and I have loaded the back with 2x4s, 2x8's, big screen tvs, you name it. Very handy car to have.

Coming from a 94 Honda Accord LX which was mostly bulletproof aside for some bad engineering choices on certain maintanence items. For example captive rotor mountings, bad oil filter location, I would have kept that vehicle to this day.

For now i would go with a Yaris perferably the 3 door hatchbacks if you can find them for a good price and maint history.

Reason why i went with a 2012 yaris sedan was more on the power and drive train side and availability at the time. The 3 doors were hard to find. The 1NZFE does not give up over many years of mostly 80-90% highway spirited driving makes probably makes me want to keep this car for the remainder of my life or grandfather it down to family. Car feels like a speedy gokart when going above 80mph which i do often on my daily 100 mile commute.

Maintence side its a DIY mechanics wet dream. Everything is almost self servicable to brakes, body and engine. Havent done any major repairs other than replacing alternator belt, flush brake fluids, transmisson fluid, air filters, and motor oil.

My Toyota Tercel if parts availability isn't factored. Its already difficult to find some items and in 10 years it'll be even worse.

Lexus gs 400.
Any year.
Our 2013 GS350 F Sport. Great car; just got new booties; Michelin Pilot Sports.
1710197614888.jpg

My old 2005 5.3 Chevy Avalanche Z66 with 247,000 miles. The most utilitarian vehicle and best riding truck I’ve ever owned. My wife drives it more often than not and leaves her ES 350 in the garage.

IMG_1290.jpeg

This is a tough one, but I'm going to go with a late '70's K5 Blazer. In a Mad Max scenario, it would be easy enough to fab parts for, and its big enough to live in.

60's Beetles are also a great choice. As would be an old Jeep. Matter of fact, I might change my pick to a Willys.... they only have like 6 moving parts...
I have some questions about this game: 1. Why does it matter that the car starts with 100,000 miles already on the clock, and 2. Does the game guarantee one everything required to keep the car running, or is the idea to choose something that is so reliable and rebuildable, that the costs of keeping it on the road at, say, 1.2 million miles, are bearable.

Depending on the above, my choice would be either a current Honda Accord, optioned up, or a current Porsche 911, Manual, Coupe, base model.

Lastly, I need to call out the responder who specified a 1993 Chevy S-10, Manual. I assume that the choice is based on what is currently in the driveway, but holy smokes it is a wack choice.
I thought about an early S10 - I had an '83 that was super simple to work on and that was as tough as an old boot.

Here's a mental game for us to play... What one car (make, model and year range) would you choose if you could never replace it. You can repair it or rebuild it if you can find parts for it, but you can't replace it.
So.... I would choose a vehicle with a LONG production run. Say a 2019 Pro4X Nissan Frontier or a 3rd generation Ford Ranger. ...but you know I would pick a Camry Hybrid.

Datsun B-210, 4 speed. Why not? So slow it had to redline for every shift, poor brakes and just overall ugly.
But like some kind of nasty insect it couldn't be killed. Believe me I tried. I think if cared for it could last forever.

Back