Ok, everyone - IYO, what' the best 5w-30 oil, &why

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just reread my post and i guess i should have reworded that a little, oh well, have a laugh on me.

Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
29 views and only 1 reply so far....assumption: everyone has a favorite oil, and few know why! lol...(myself included, that's why i'm posing the question)

+1 Favorite oil, yes. Facts behind the choice, seldom.

I have run YB Pennzoil most of the time since I quit using Valvoline after Ashland chemical threw me out on my ear. Hey, I grew up in Pennsylvania.

instead of just best, why not post your vehicle, mileage, habits, etc and then ask bitog

at least these weekly "best" questions would be more interesting and possibly useful

Really having a love affair with Mobil Clean 5000 in my 00 Saturn with 105K. Why?

The car has always used about 6 ounces of oil per 3,000 miles. Since I have started using up my MC 5000 stash over the past few oil changes, my most recent one showed no oil use at all!

Castrol Edge because it is one of the thinnest / Fast flowing 5w-30s, out there, Edge has one of the longest change intervals, and posesses a righteous add pack. Besides I need my BP stock to go up!!!

Originally Posted By: RTBandit
Castrol Edge because it is one of the thinnest / Fast flowing 5w-30s, out there, Edge has one of the longest change intervals, and posesses a righteous add pack. Besides I need my BP stock to go up!!!

I just bought 5 quarts and I'll be using it for my next oil change. Seems like a great cold climate oil
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe

I just bought 5 quarts and I'll be using it for my next oil change. Seems like a great cold climate oil
thumbsup2.gif

'

Just picked up 5 quarts today. With the Advanced Auto new 10 buck coupon, coupled with a Castrol 15 buck rebate on 5 quarts, I got Edge 5w-30 for just 1.40 per quart!
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

I have subzero weather plans for this oil in my Saturn.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

thumbsup2.gif

'

Just picked up 5 quarts today. With the Advanced Auto new 10 buck coupon, coupled with a Castrol 15 buck rebate on 5 quarts, I got Edge 5w-30 for just 1.40 per quart!
banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Same here, I used the same AAP deal. I'm just debating what oil filter to use with it... I keep going back and forth between a Fram Extended Guard or a Napa Gold... decisions decisions...
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Saturn_Fan

thumbsup2.gif

'

banana2.gif
banana2.gif

Same here, I used the same AAP deal. I'm just debating what oil filter to use with it... I keep going back and forth between a Fram Extended Guard or a Napa Gold... decisions decisions...
grin2.gif

I have always liked the Napa Gold (Wix) filter and is what I used exclusively for a lot of miles before I hit the motherlode one day at a Farm and Fleet and purchased a lifetime supply of Mobil 1 EP filters for 4.50 a piece.
grin2.gif
beer3.gif

FWIW, I would use a Fram extended guard as well and not lose any sleep over it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
if that is the case, why do we have an oil forum? (not meant to be rude)
Seems like what your running is working well for you. Did you want to save some $$ or just go a million miles on the engine? I can save you some $$ on the way to 300K, but cant get you to a million miles. Go to the manufacturer sites and look for big money off coupons. Mobil just had rebates and Pennzoil has one now. STock up on on sale stuff, just dont get overzealous :)

Even if the engine did go for 1,000,000, I'm not sure the rest of a domestic truck would, except maybe in rare situatons.

If I was the OP, I'd use a good quality syn that was easily available (ie, M1, PP, GC) and change it according to the OLM. I would not use a boutique syn that was difficult to obtain and/or expensive because the engine does not require it and you will not see a return on investment as measured in tangibly longer engine life.

And change your other fluids also, coolant, transmission, rearend, brake, with high quality replacements.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ] instead of just best, why not post your vehicle, mileage, habits, etc and then ask bitog

at least these weekly "best" questions would be more interesting and possibly useful

I did...taken from earlier in this post, I wrote:

2002 Silverado 5.3
Driven on mostly flat, mild hills,
combo of city and highway,
driven daily,
pulling trailer of about 3500 lbs 95 percent of it's miles, probably 80-100 miles a day,
almost non-existant (very few) short trips (I live far from everything)
engine burns no oil whatsoever even in 10k (+) M1 OCIS
No leaks,
used year round, Tennessee climate

if that is the case, why do we have an oil forum? (not meant to be rude)
Seems like what your running is working well for you. Did you want to save some $$ or just go a million miles on the engine? I can save you some $$ on the way to 300K, but cant get you to a million miles. Go to the manufacturer sites and look for big money off coupons. Mobil just had rebates and Pennzoil has one now. STock up on on sale stuff, just dont get overzealous :)

Save $? Well, that's always nice of course. I'm not opposed to paying the $6/quart or whatever I've been paying for the Mobil 1 regular formula 5w30 that I've been using, but if there's a better oil out there for roughly the same price, I'm game. Cheaper would be a bonus, but the main goal is preventing an overhaul for as long as possible...planning to keep it as long as I possibly can. Runs great so far, with 136k, hoping for 250k or more.

A million? That would be even better, but I won't even count on getting close to half that lol...

By the way, that reminds me, has anyone else noticed that most of the million mile stories you hear were done on dino oil and 3k changes...very few I've found on synthetic. I use synthetic, but I'm wondering now...

[/quote]

Even if the engine did go for 1,000,000, I'm not sure the rest of a domestic truck would, except maybe in rare situatons.

you may have touched a nerve lol...

I know several folks with Chevrolet trucks with 400k plus on original engine, and transmission. Yeah, that's not a million, but it's impressive. Also, the guy in Wisconsin that was all over the news with his 93 or whatever it was, with a million miles, using pennzoil dino and 3k OCIs...he did go through several transmissions, radiators, water pumps, etc...and there are several documented cases where Chevrolet delivery vans went a million miles on the original engine as well, some of the same 93 era, some of the newer body style, but I'm not certain what was replaced.

I'm not sure what you were implying with that one...I agree, it would be very rare for the (any) truck to make a million miles on the engine anyway, but as far as "not sure the rest of a domestic truck would"...I agree with that as well, several things would have to certainly be replaced along the way, i.e., water pumps, alternators, even tranny, but to say that, implies that an "import truck" would not have these issues if it were to go to a million on the engine? It wouldn't need a tranny, or the like? I'm not sure what you're saying by that, if you could clarify

Last edited:
[/quote]If I was the OP, I'd use a good quality syn that was easily available (ie, M1, PP, GC) and change it according to the OLM. I would not use a boutique syn that was difficult to obtain and/or expensive because the engine does not require it and you will not see a return on investment as measured in tangibly longer engine life.

And change your other fluids also, coolant, transmission, rearend, brake, with high quality replacements. [/quote]

That's reasonable and helpful...that's what I'm leaning toward as well, with the over the counter oils...oil change has typically been "I need to do it while I have 30 minutes, before somthing else comes up", etc, and the shipping cost is just money down the drain...If none of those will add significant useful life as compared to an over the counter oil, I won't bother with them, for those same reasons.
Thanks for the reminder...I do need to change the tranny fluid and brake fluid, the rear end fluid was done a while back but it may be time again

Originally Posted By: tig1
I like Hucks re-re-re- refined 39cents a qt.oil.
"Best" is meaningless.

You are correct. There is no best, but several that are equal. Ams, M1 PP etc. Since your engine is nothing special as far as a problem engine all of these will work well.

What does PP stand for in your above sentence? I've seen PP mentioned on here a lot and always thought it meant Penzoil Platinum.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN
I can't see where Redline gives up anything in any category to any other oil yet I can see where it excels in many categories agains't many other oils.

+1
Amsoil ASL would be a close second.

For most of the applications I service "all Toyota's except for one Buick" Redline 5W30 is bar none the absolute best choice for them if tiny almost non-exhistant wear numbers and engine cleanliness is your goal! The Amsoil S3K HD 5W30 would be it's equal I think. In other applications especially GM and other Domestic applications I think the Amsoil S3K HD 5W30 is the overall best 5W30 as it's chemistry tends to play more nicely with them then the Redline 5W30!

If it has to be an over the counter oil that is stocked at places like Walmart and Autozone etc....THen I would go with M1 5W30. While their seems to be plenty of others like PP 5W30 that can produce equal or better wear numbers their tbn retension seems to be sadly lacking when compared to M1 which is why I did not mention any of M1's competitors. In my book any synthetic that can not last for a long while is not much of an advatage over dino oils!

It has been so long since I have even looked at dino 5W30's that I am almost clueless the ones I recall as good have more then likely changed. For instance the Havoline 5w30 prior to Equilon(sp) no longer makeing Havoline used to be some really good stuff. Like wise Chevron Supreme used to be a top notch product but that was so long ago I have no idea now if these two are still stand outs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back