Ok, everyone - IYO, what' the best 5w-30 oil, &why

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
29 views and only 1 reply so far....assumption: everyone has a favorite oil, and few know why! lol...(myself included, that's why i'm posing the question)

Actually that's a compliment to the BITOG guys. Maybe they are learning finally!!

Your trick word is actually "best". Best for what????????

Best for, reducing wear and keeping the engine clean (which I would have guessed would have been implied), vehicle is a 5.3 chevrolet truck, hauling a trailer constantly, used in Tennessee climate year round

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Like everyone (more or less) said, you need to qualify the question.

(suggested things that may alter the answer)

Suppose the engine consumes 3 quarts every 10 minutes?

Suppose it only travels 5000 miles a year in a 4 season climate?

Suppose it goes 25k/year and consumes nothing?

Suppose it only travels up one side of a 8% grade fully loaded and engine brakes down the other side ..only to repeat the same process on the return trip day after day?

Red Line may suit some of those conditions that I mentioned above, but I doubt anyone would use it for many of them. Synthetics would probably be pushed out of a few of them.

You've given us no way to determine value in usage ..which equates to "most sensible" ..which tends to mean "best for your situation".

Ok...got it.

I'll rephrase.
2002 Silverado 5.3
Driven on mostly flat, mild hills,
combo of city and highway,
driven daily,
pulling trailer of about 3500 lbs 95 percent of it's miles, probably 80-100 miles a day,
almost non-existant (very few) short trips (I live far from everything)
engine burns no oil whatsoever even in 10k (+) M1 OCIS
No leaks,
used year round, Tennessee climate

wait wait i almost forgot---it's dark grey in color lol

Last edited:
ok...ok (lol) I rephrased the question to include more detail...should have done that to begin with...I'm new here, so haven't learned who I'm dealing with yet...if you want specifics, be specific right? No problem. I appreciate the info guys!

You're going to find that everyone will say there's no best oil. I disagree. If you look above, you'll see a few of us that recommend Redline.

Actually we have no real proof Redline will be better at "reducing wear and keeping the engine clean" than some other oils. Those guys think that, but they have no proof.

I will say that any top tier oil will keep your engine VERY clean. Reducing wear? Now really.....

I would suspect there are a million different opinions out there on this, but I'm hoping to derive factual info from the question

lol.

Actually we have no real proof Redline will be better at "reducing wear and keeping the engine clean" than some other oils. Those guys think that, but they have no proof.

I will say that any top tier oil will keep your engine VERY clean. Reducing wear? Now really.....

We know through teardowns in the racing world that Redline is far superior to most oils. How that translates to street engines is somewhat of a guess but not entirely. Wear starts from the moment you turn the key, why would you not believe that some oils are better than others at reducing wear in street engines.

Imagine you have two oils, both of them in a race engine. One engine lasts 10,000 miles, the other 50,000 miles. Can you honestly say you wouldn't be swayed to run the oil that let the engine last 50,000 miles?

Pablo, this isn't just directed to you but it seems like the fad at BITOG lately has been to disregard this question with the standard answer of "there is no best oil". While I agree there is no best oil for every engine in every circumstance, I can't see where Redline gives up anything in any category to any other oil yet I can see where it excels in many categories agains many other oils.

'On paper' I think Amsoil ASL 5W-30 looks like a great oil:

-solid 10.8 cst viscosity;
-add-pack with moly, boron, and over-based calcium;
-a 12.2 TBN, but SM additive levels at the same time;
-good cold-weather values;
-solid PAO basestock, most likely enhanced with some esters.

Seems to cover ALL bases at once.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

We know through teardowns in the racing world that Redline is far superior to most oils. How that translates to street engines is somewhat of a guess but not entirely. Wear starts from the moment you turn the key, why would you not believe that some oils are better than others at reducing wear in street engines.

Imagine you have two oils, both of them in a race engine. One engine lasts 10,000 miles, the other 50,000 miles. Can you honestly say you wouldn't be swayed to run the oil that let the engine last 50,000 miles?

Pablo, this isn't just directed to you but it seems like the fad at BITOG lately has been to disregard this question with the standard answer of "there is no best oil". While I agree there is no best oil for every engine in every circumstance, I can't see where Redline gives up anything in any category to any other oil yet I can see where it excels in many categories agains many other oils.

Fads, on BITOG? NEVER!
45.gif

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

I'm not criticizing Redline. It is a great motor oil.

Still we have no proof. Oh, I BELIEVE you (you did make up the 10K v 50K thing), but you can NOT scientifically, unequivocally make it the TRUTH and an absolute FACT at this very moment.

And there are some better (best?) oils for his application. I could tell you M1 Diesel 5W-40 would show the same cleanliness and the same amount of wear in this application as Redline, but it would only be my opinion.

if that is the case, why do we have an oil forum? (not meant to be rude)
Seems like what your running is working well for you. Did you want to save some $$ or just go a million miles on the engine? I can save you some $$ on the way to 300K, but cant get you to a million miles. Go to the manufacturer sites and look for big money off coupons. Mobil just had rebates and Pennzoil has one now. STock up on on sale stuff, just dont get overzealous :)

where do you get hucks oil for 39 cents? ill be switching to that if it is sm rated. I love my PP but for 39 cents/qt, ill leave it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back