Oil recommendations 0w40

And technology assures us of what? A "better" engine???? There are a lot of engines that truly are high-tech and wonderful. Some of them are very reliable. Others, not so much. The BMX 4.4L for example ... The Hot Vee engines seem great, until they start to fail, cost an arm/leg to fix, and make troubleshooting very difficult.

I'm not saying high-tech engines are all bad; that's clearly not true. But high-tech does not assure anything other than it's different from the lower-tech alternatives. High-tech does not have sole ownership of high-power, nor high-reliablility; those can be found with lesser-tech choices.

If you need a powerful engine in a power-dense package, then you're pretty much have to rely on some form of forced induction to get you there, or ultra-high rpm. Both of those are going to have a fairly robust tech package to support the requirements. But that choice of power in a limited space package also brings challenges that are likely to compromise it's reliability.

So if power density is the primary goal, tech can help get you there. But not without compromises elsewhere. If you desire other things over power density (say reliability and/or cost containment), then tech often ain't the right choice.
Nothing, but it has different requirements. My point is that a lot of hp does not mean anything when it comes to oil requirements.
Still would go any BMW N63 over Chrysler product.

The original SRT oil was M1 0w-40 (a Euro oil).

They want the SRT oil changed every 6 months (which is nuts).

The SRT Hellcat engine uses a supercharger with its own oiling system (the engine oil isn't heated by the blower), where, let's say we consider the OP's engine, he indicated a twin turbo, which of course are lubricated by engine oil, so it is exposed to more heat there. The SRT oil isn't called for in any application with a pair of hairdryers and it's not part of the Chrysler spec.

The Porsche Cayenne Turbo (which, IIRC, the OP owns) is 500 to 570HP (Turbo S) depending on the year (2008+) from a 4.8L V8; 104 to 119HP/L.

The standard Hellcat at 707HP is 114HP/L, the Redeye 128.

The current Cayenne Turbo is a 4.0L V8 producing 541HP (135HP/L) while the Turbo GT extracts 631HP from the same 4.0L V8; 158HP/L.

So one must consider that Porsche is always pushing the envelope on power density and their approval process (which is extensive) reflects that, including testing that is turbo specific, and also simulated lapping of the Nurburgring.

I'd have no hesitation using an A40 lube in an SRT application (and in fact I do), but I wouldn't use the SRT oil in an A40 application.
Don't know if I'm on point here but talking tech and power density, what about the M-139 AMG engine, roughly 190 HP/litre right off the production line. My personal favorite.

Maybe just use Super Tech full synthetic 5w40 euro on sale for $17.47 at Walmart right now.

Okay I've just had my oil troll moment for this year.:sneaky:

Back to the original topic, watch Canadian Tire and Walmart for sales on oil.

When the Hellcat came out it was the highest HP production engine in the world. ;).
Not even close with its 707 HP when it came out in 2015, that title belongs to the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse with its 1200 HP 16 cylinder with 4 turbo's. It is a production car with a production engine. So are these, the price of entry is higher but that is relative.
2015 Lamborghini Veneno 740 HP
2015 Ferrari F12berlinetta 731 HP
2010 Aston Martin One-77 750 HP
2012 Gumpert Apollo Enraged 769 HP
And others.

Don't know if I'm on point here but talking tech and power density, what about the M-139 AMG engine, roughly 190 HP/litre right off the production line. My personal favorite.

On the M139 (AMG A45/45S) Mercedes allows for:

MB 229.51, 229.52, 229.61, 229.71

That includes 5W-40 (MB 229.51). ;)

Not even close with its 707 HP when it came out in 2015, that title belongs to the Bugatti Veyron Grand Sport Vitesse with its 1200 HP 16 cylinder with 4 turbo's. It is a production car with a production engine. So are these, the price of entry is higher but that is relative.
2015 Lamborghini Veneno 740 HP
2015 Ferrari F12berlinetta 731 HP
2010 Aston Martin One-77 750 HP
2012 Gumpert Apollo Enraged 769 HP
And others.
Trav, I said production engine as in a production vehicle. Here is the definition of production vehicle. The rest is semantics. If that doesn’t work then just post the prices of the cars. I’m not going to post the definition of mass produced. Everyone should be able to figure that out.

35AC1227-B9F6-4686-AF4C-C0B7EEA20ACC.png

Last edited:
Trav, I said production engine as in a production vehicle. Here is the definition of production vehicle. The rest is semantics. If that doesn’t work then just post the prices of the cars. I’m not going to post the definition of mass produced. Everyone should be able to figure that out.

View attachment 92047
That is Wikipedia. I can change definition in no time there.
Extracting 707hp From 6.2ltr supercharged engine is really not anything special. It is popular bcs. it is cheap. That is it.

If the posters want to discuss the merits of Muscle cars vs European sports cars, man up and start a new thread. :coffee:
I didn't start this by calling your car a sewing machine b/c you got pissed at the convo, I simply stated that the power density numbers on large American naturally-aspirated V8s has never been that impressive to me considering the displacements involved...always been a "duh?" to me. Man up? Really?

Last edited:
I didn't start this by calling your car a sewing machine b/c you got pissed at the convo, I simply stated that the power density numbers on large American naturally-aspirated V8s has never been that impressive to me considering the displacements involved...always been a "duh?" to me. Man up? Really?
Hmm. Mongo V-8’s ? Tsk,Tsk. Moving on. ;)

Back