Oil for 2008 Chev 5.3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I have narrowed my choices down to PP and Val. SP in the 5W30 grade. The price of amsoil is ridiculous and therefore I am trying to decide between the two listed above. The truck has just under 10 000km and has been running Valvoline conventional since the 1000km mark.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I am stuck! Thanks.

Amsoil is not ridiculous if you use it for extended OCI which it does very well.

If you want to change at 6K miles or less then use Pennzoil Platinum or Yellow Bottle Dino.

No votes for Synpower? Interesting.

In my mind, $15.99 is ridiculous for a quart of oil, sorry!

$15.99 is a price that no-one pays... I buy mine from Amsoil.com with a preferred customer membership (very cheap) and pay less than $10!

If you are near Mississauga, Ontario then you can pick it up from their warehouse and pay even less... This is what I do!

I guess I've got some more research to do. I would rather use a widely available oil though.

It doesn't really matter to me what you use as you are the one that has to be happy with your decision, but Amsoil is widely available and you can find a representative in your area that will be more than willing to sell it to you at a great price and take care of your needs. It's great stuff and I have used many brands in the past and this is the only one that seems to perform the best in my applications.

Failing all that, Pennzoil Platinum would be the best next option IMO.

All right, settle down - for your information I have used Amsoil before and didn't feel it was worth the cost, that's all.

Not angry... I just am trying to dispel the myth of the cost and that it's not widely available is all. It may not be for you and that's fine... Works great for me and returns very good UOA's.

For me an Amsoil Change with filter costs me around $65 and I can run it for 16,000 KM (3 times longer than the normal recommended change)

So $65 / 3 = $21.67

Where can you get great synthetic protection that lasts this long, along with excellent filtration using an Amsoil filter @ 15 microns for this price?

That's all I'm saying....

I have used both Pennzoil Plat. & Valvoline Synpower in my '05 Silverado with the 5.3 V8. I used the Synpower the last 2 oil changes, WM had 5.5qt jugs for $18 at the time I bought it, but I'm going to go back to Pennzoil on the next oil change. My truck seemed to get better fuel milage & run smoother with PP, in my opinion, so I'm switching back on the next change. I hope that this helps you.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
$15.99 is a price that no-one pays... I buy mine from Amsoil.com with a preferred customer membership (very cheap) and pay less than $10!

If you are near Mississauga, Ontario then you can pick it up from their warehouse and pay even less... This is what I do!

crazy2.gif
Unfair practice. I have to order mine Monday morning and wait until Tuesday evening for UPS to deliver it.
LOL.gif

For the original poster, if you are going to run an over the counter 30 grade you can use M1 5W-30 TSUV, PP 10W-30, or Valvoline Synpower 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

crazy2.gif
Unfair practice. I have to order mine Monday morning and wait until Tuesday evening for UPS to deliver it.
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
That's funny!

I visit my friends in Kentucky every year, maybe I could bring you a yearly supply each time I come and then you would have a very cost effective solution!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: FrankN4

crazy2.gif
LOL.gif

LOL.gif
That's funny!

I visit my friends in Kentucky every year, maybe I could bring you a yearly supply each time I come and then you would have a very cost effective solution!
grin2.gif

banana2.gif
happy2.gif
What is the exchange rate? Maybe I could get it for you even cheaper
thumbsup2.gif

There is a good UOA over in the UOA section for a 5.3 run with PP for over 9K miles. It did very good. Can't go wrong with either though but I would lean towards the PP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back