Oil for 2022 Gladiator with 3rd Gen 3.0L EcoDiesel

I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. It is a learning experience for me.

So there is no confusion, I purchased the Triax Euro LX oil (not "VX") 5w-40 as that was the one Triax recommended since it supposedly meets the Chrysler MS-12991 standard. And it was apparently mislabeled as med-SAPS oil on the product datasheet...which apparently they are correcting on their website this week (it must be high-SAPS to meet the standards it claims which is good info pointed out by Overkill & EDYVW of which I wasn't aware).

I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback. It is a learning experience for me.

So there is no confusion, I purchased the Triax Euro LX oil (not "VX") 5w-40 as that was the one Triax recommended since it supposedly meets the Chrysler MS-12991 standard. And it was apparently mislabeled as med-SAPS oil on the product datasheet...which apparently they are correcting on their website this week (it must be high-SAPS to meet the standards it claims which is good info pointed out by Overkill & EDYVW of which I wasn't aware).
Supposedly mislabeled as are the other things that are mislabeled.

Why you’d trust them with the rest I’m not sure.

Supposedly mislabeled as are the other things that are mislabeled.

Why you’d trust them with the rest I’m not sure.

kschachn, I read their website and ordered the oil before posting here...which triggered all the negative posts to make me suspect. There may be history of previous discussions here but I recently joined and wasn't aware of those discussions.

Attached is the updated product data sheet for Euro LX that Triax says will be posted on their website this week.
9E1498A7-DB8F-4081-93B9-2A8DE2E19C7D.jpeg

Last edited:
But what is the end game using that over one that is actually approved for your vehicle? I don’t think cost savings. I don’t think performance advantage since there is no actual evidence of such.

If it’s just to be different I get it. But that doesn’t always mean better or equal.

But what is the end game using that over one that is actually approved for your vehicle? I don’t think cost savings. I don’t think performance advantage since there is no actual evidence of such.

If it’s just to be different I get it. But that doesn’t always mean better or equal.
MattPersman, I ordered this oil before I received feedback that the specs were misleading. Since I have it on-hand, I'm sending off a VOA of this oil today. If it comes back as expected and looks safe, I'll likely use it for my first oil change (bought the Gladiator with 19K miles on it so not the first oil change on the vehicle). If I use it, I'll likely pull a sample at 5k miles to see how it is performing and make an OCI decision based on the results in the report.

The misleading part of the specs that is easily identifiable is the "mid-SAPS' label on the original PDS. I didn't understand it is impossible to be a mid-SAPS oil and meet the other specs they claimed. After emailing Triax, they sent me the updated PDS I posted above and stated they would be updating their website with this PDS. As of today (Wed morning) they haven't yet updated the PDS on their website.

If the new specs are accurate (who knows), then it may be a good oil for the EcoDiesel. The rating for 100C viscosity, pour point, and TBN look good. Is the HTHS spec good compared to other oils? (I found no rating to compare HTHS on the PDS of PPE, QSE, and Castrol Euro). In an email, Triax states their SA=1.12.

I have looked at several UOAs for PPE and QSE and it appears their 100C viscosity breaks down to 30W class in 5k - 6k miles. Not sure I want to run those oils over 6K miles and that's one reason I was looking for a better oil and found the Triax Euro LX (TELX). Since it was located in Texas (USA), I trusted their advertising and PDS when I placed the order.

If the TELX doesn't pan out, I would still like to find an oil I can trust to last the OEM recommended 10K OCIs (if possible). I don't think I trust PPE or QSE to do this based on the drop in viscosity at 5K - 6K miles on UOAs. I've looked at one UOA of Castrol Edge Euro 5w-40 at 10K miles and it looked decent so I would lean that way at the moment.

Last edited:
I have looked at several UOAs for PPE and QSE and it appears their 100C viscosity breaks down to 30W class in 5k - 6k miles. Not sure I want to run those oils over 6K miles and that's one reason I was looking for a better oil and found the Triax Euro LX (TELX). Since it was located in Texas (USA), I trusted their advertising and PDS when I placed the order.
If those viscosity deviations are due to fuel dilution (which the vast majority are) then the oil choice will have no bearing on that. Add to the mix that most UOA on here are Blackstone and they cannot distinguish between fuel dilution and mechanical shear.

Also this is highly dependent on the specific engine and operating conditions which may or may not apply to your particular situation.

Most commercial oils today utilize high quality VM and mechanical shear is not the monster most people imagine.

Hard to believe they recommend gasoline engine oils for a diesel. Doesn’t make sense. The earlier generations requirements were upgraded to diesel 5-40 or 15-40.
In Europe there are very few oils that could be considered only for petrol or diesel engines.

The only ones you can find are for diesel only and meant for commercial vehicles but you usually have to buy them from a specific retailer, normally trade only.

The same VM Motori engine is used in the Maserati Ghibli

These are the specs of the Motul X-Cess 5w40 which compares well with the oil you have chosen and Motul is a good product.

The only VM Motori engine I know of that had significant bottom end problems was the 2.5 VM as fitted to the TX4 London Taxi, the Jeep Cherokee, the LDV Maxus vans and the Grand Voyager.

IMG_3527.jpeg

Last edited:
In Europe there are very few oils that could be considered only for petrol or diesel engines.

The only ones you can find are for diesel only and meant for commercial vehicles but you usually have to buy them from a specific retailer, normally trade only.

The same VM Motori engine is used in the Maserati Ghibli

These are the specs of the Motul X-Cess 5w40 which compares well with the oil you have chosen and Motul is a good product.

The only VM Motori engine I know of that had significant bottom end problems was the 2.5 VM as fitted to the TX4 London Taxi, the Jeep Cherokee, the LDV Maxus vans and the Grand Voyager.

View attachment 206658

Looking at the Motul Gen 2 the MS 12991 spec is listed.

Back