2008 Hyundai Elantra Oil Choice.

Hello just got a Used 2008 Elantra. Will be doing an oil change. The manual recommends 5w20 or 5w30 they even had a 10w30 on the chart but was not recommended for best fuel economy. This car has less that 60,000 miles on it. I will be running synthetic. Is it wise to consider a 0w 20 or 30 weight for this engine. I was considering Valvoline,Quaker-state and even Super tech. any suggestions on a oil grade or brand would be helpful.
Hyundai engines are not picky about oil viscosity and will run just fine on any (temperature appropriate) grade, synthetic or conventional, but will sound a lot less like a half empty Pringles can with a 30 or 40 grade. 0w is just fine as well but probably not necessary unless you're driving it through Canada or Alaska in the dead of winter.

I run 5W20 M1 synthetic in my 09, and change out the 4.23 qts every 4500-5K miles, engine seems very happy on it. it does not burn a drop at 114K, but Its not as smooth as a 4 cyl honda,(even when new) from what i gather, the engine is very durable, and capable of 300+K with decent maintenance.

The 11-16s elantras have the "issues"

Back