Oil choice based on: Miami 2nd hottest city (avg high) in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you plan on keeping this vehicle for more than 15 years?

Either way 5w-20 will work just fine. You are not going to have any issues.

Again, when was the last time there was an oil related issue that a forum member on here had that the engine stopped running because of said oil? If so what was used, how long, what interval of changes, what filter?

Average high is meaningless as mentioned.

You want actual temperatures.

That is like saying death valley temps are similar to miami because they are similar averages.

Look at the chart. What is the coldest temps you will see? What is the hottest temps you will see? Pick the viscosity . I am not the brightest light on the string but it is not that hard. 5 pages.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Average high is meaningless as mentioned.

You want actual temperatures.

That is like saying death valley temps are similar to miami because they are similar averages.

Which is why i included the graph showing 61 days over 90f per year. But either way, the manual shows 5W-30 as a recommendation so there is zero issue with performance and warranty if i go that route.

Thanks to everyone who shared an opinion. Much appreciated.

We have basically the same engine (2.4L non - turbo) ... I am happy to see you are now considering to go up to 5W30 . I am running the new Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 SN Plus Dexos 1 Gen 2 which is perfect for our GDI engines ! It's on the thinner side of 30 weight oils so the engine responds well (not sluggish) plus it has a low NOACK so it doesn't burn off and has the add pack ideal for timing chain engines (our 2.4L GDI) . Run it for 4,500 ~ 5,000 mile OCI's (or if you prefer get an oil analysis) and I believe you will be very happy ... As for oil filters I use the Fram Ultra XG9688 (good for 20K miles) and run it for 2 ~ 3 OCI's before changing or you could just stay with the Kia / Hyundai OEM oil filter.

Originally Posted By: wemay

Point taken.

Wemay, you don't want to see what Shell recommends for our mates downunder..... Or maybe you should.... I wonder if the picture of a bucket for the A5/B5 5W30 is a subtle hint to the oil consumption one would experience with that choice
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: nap

Point taken.

Wemay, I wonder if the picture of a bucket for the A5/B5 5W30 is a subtle hint to the oil consumption one would experience with that choice
crackmeup2.gif

Now THAT is really funny!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

...and it doesn't have to be A5, d1G2 could easily substitute in. Would that be a pail?

...and it doesn't have to be A5, d1G2 could easily substitute in. Would that be a pail?

Yes, a pail. But this starts to be concerning, I checked Castrol too and if you go for the regular Magnatec A5/B5, they also suggest to buy it by the pail
crackmeup2.gif

Congratulations on your new ride. Glad you figured out the motor oil dichotomy. Enjoy your new means of transportation with your horseless carriage. Didn't realize that choosing an oil could be so contentious. But, i'm here to learn.

Miami's temperature is not as hot as other areas far north of you. I know some in Florida think it is but not close.
Anyway, yes it is humid for sure.

I have no idea why anyone, except far north would use a lighter oil then 5/30 but that is me.
In my 5/20 Dodge truck I use all year long 5/30.
In my 0/20 or 5/20 Madza Skyactive engine I use 5/30 too.

Ok, now will make you all cringe, I always use conventional oil and change every 5000 miles or so.

I live in the midlands of South Carolina, not as humid as Florida but our average daily temperatures exceed Miami for the months of June, July and August.

I have researched this topic over time, normally dont bother commenting, 5/30 oil is the oil to use, again, unless you live in a 0 degree F area.
Anything under 5/30 is for automotive and truck manufactures to increase by fractions, fuel economy for government purposes.

With all that said, the engines are fine with oil thinner then 5/30, its the engine design, not the oil that makes engines last longer.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nap

Point taken.

Wemay, I wonder if the picture of a bucket for the A5/B5 5W30 is a subtle hint to the oil consumption one would experience with that choice
crackmeup2.gif

Now THAT is really funny!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

You guys ! .....first it's called a "drum" not a pail or bucket. Second the Professional series is only sold in bulk to workshops & garages so that's the smallest size they make.

That HX7 10W-40 A3/B4 semi-synthetic is sold everywhere over here, it's on sale at $20 for 5L right now, which is as good as it gets in Oz. People run it in everything. A few years a go if you went to a shop and asked for an "oil change" you would most likely get some flavour (Magnatec, Durablend, HX7, etc) of 10W-40 (SN & A3/B4) semi-synthetic, be it Ford, GM, Honda or Bently. I'll let you know when all the cars fail and we start riding kangaroos again.

But to be honest, if I lived in North America, I would just run PP / M1 / Edge / SynPower 5W30 in everything and be done with it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SR5

But to be honest, if I lived in North America, I would just run PP / M1 / Edge / SynPower 5W30 in everything and be done with it.

thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: SR5

thumbsup2.gif

Took 6 pages, but eventually we got to the correct answer!

Called KIA Motors America customer service (technical support) for thier take. Here's what the gentleman shared with me...

"Your Sportage 2.4L is required to use API SM and/or ILSAC GF-4 or above. ACEA A5 is an extended drain specification and KIA's normal schedule is 7500 for the 2.4L, or 3750 for severe service. The A5 consideration is targeted at European ownership (same thing Hyundai told me concerning the 2.4). Living in Miami Florida does not relegate you to use a viscosity thicker than what's on the filler cap "5W-20", but that is the consumer's choice based on the allowable viscosity in the Owner's Manual. Synthetic is not required or discouraged.

Miami isn't that hit, unlike AZ and California deserts. I had to go to a wedding last week in Coral Gables and it was very humid.

I haven't been in Miami for over 8 years and I noticed lots of construction downtown and East of the airport.

When I'm in Miami I like to go to La Caretta near Anthony Abraham Chevrolet on 8th street.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back