Oil choice based on: Miami 2nd hottest city (avg high) in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
To make things easy, why not Pennzoil Platinum 5w30? It has plenty of certifications. Easy to get and a good price to boot.

^^^^^^^

Great call PimTac.

That would be a good call. Or Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5w30.

Out of warranty I'd run a straight 30 grade... April through October. Wolf's Head would be one I'd go with possibly.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry too much about oil selection. Just run what the manufacturer recommends. Oils today will tackle the job.

Originally Posted By: bbhero
^^^^^^^

Great call PimTac.

That would be a good call. Or Valvoline Advanced full synthetic 5w30.

Out of warranty I'd run a straight 30 grade... April through October. Wolf's Head would be one I'd go with possibly.

Yep, the Valvoline would also be a good oil to run.

Originally Posted By: PimTac
To make things easy, why not Pennzoil Platinum 5w30? It has plenty of certifications. Easy to get and a good price to boot.

Those are the current choices...Mobil1 and Pennzoil Plat, 5W-30.
Each having A5/B5 cert

A5/B5 is that totally needed??

Nothing wrong with that. It's a very good specification. But I may be wrong here but Dexos gen 2 may well be real close to the equivalent.

I am not giving you a hard time here. And I do seriously mean that. But I find it funny about you saying use whatever and yet you have a "Cadillac" oil like Signature Series 0w30 in your vehicle. Nothing wrong with that at all. That's a great choice.

And your answer was right on has well.

Originally Posted By: Artem
Based on the chart, I vote 20w50 for Miami year round protection.

Of course you would.

I think you have your answer.5w30 would be the best fit. If you want the A5/B5 a few of the majors have it. You could even go with Amsoil OE or XL 5w30 they also are A5/B5

Originally Posted By: wemay

According to that table, anything from xW-20 to xW-50 can be used in hot weather - they all go upto 120 deg F. The difference is on the cold end of the use application. Apparently, KIA doesn't believe in CAFE.
grin2.gif

I'd use at least a full synthetic 5W-30 in Florida.

Base your oil choice on the highest daytime and lowest night time temperatures, not on the annual average which is a very different criteria. For example Phoenix, which is higher up your list at No1, will probably have greater extremes of both, making the oil choice possibly different than your climate.

In your case the annual highs range from about 91 to 98F. Annual lows are in the range of 30 to 48F. We can't predict the weather beyond a few weeks so choose based on the potential extremes.

That puts you in the easy 10W-30 range assuming all you are interested in is starting viscosity (but probably are not limiting yourself to that I would assume). In any case that is the least expensive viscosity oil you can buy so we can remove ambient temperatures from your choice equation altogether. Even a 20W~ oil is well within the cold start temperature range.

Just an addition to the previous post regarding using average temperatures.

Phoenix with your chart says about 3F hotter actually ranges from 120F down to 20F. So a very different weather situation even though by the averages it might seem similar to Miami overall.

Originally Posted By: CR94
Originally Posted By: ka9mnx
I was running the original 5w-20 Mobil1 in my rebuilt 1958 Ford 300ci inline in the summer when I lived in Phoenix in 1980! ...
Was that a typo? The 300 in³ (and closely related 240 in³) I6 Ford engines came out with the 1965 model year. There was a 223 OHV I6 introduced about '54 to replace their earlier flat-head.

Good catch CR94! Yea it was a 232. Three on the tree and electric overdrive...

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
Base your oil choice on the highest daytime and lowest night time temperatures, not on the annual average which is a very different criteria.
+1
...... throughout expected duration of use, if I may add.

Buy a quart of each weight and make a frankenbrew. Run that blend for 200k miles the swear by it.
smile.gif

Wait for a good sale/rebate on 5w30 or 10w30 and load up about 4 to 5 oil changes worth and rest easy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back