***Official Member Picture Thread***

It was a bit more subtle than that.

The fuel gauge system was inoperative, so the airplane was “drip sticked”, meaning, each tank was measured from below using a float on a stick, and the scale from that was translated into fuel weight using the Boeing 767-200 service manual.

The weight on the chart in that manual provided by Boeing was in lbs.

But the Canadian mechanics used metric, so they naturally assumed weight was in KG.

They serviced the plane up to the required weight, not realizing that the number was lbs, not KG.

The plane had just under half the required fuel. With no “gas gauge” that worked.

The Captain did a brilliant job gliding a 767 to Gimli.
Yes, that rings true - thanks, Astro14.

Just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly, the refilling techs determined, based on float level, that the tanks contained x weight of fuel. That weight was actually pounds, but was assumed to be kg. Therefore, there was only about 45% of the amount of fuel that there was thought to be. (1 kg ~ 2.2 lbs, and 1 lb ~ 0 45 kg.)

On that basis, it was either decided that the tanks had enough fuel for the next leg, or, if the tanks were topped up, the amount of fuel added was inadequate, correct?

As is so often the case, there were the two errors in series that led to the near-disaster - the broken fuel gauge, and the assumption about the units of measurement. Strange, since Canada had gone fully metric less than 5 years before.

Do you know what, if any, changes were made to the refuelling protocol as a result?

As I recall, part of the problem was that Air Canada was using both metric and Imperial at the time. The airplane had flown once, successfully, that day with the drip stick fuel calculation being done correctly by the folks servicing it.

They went to an all metric system and 767 were no longer allowed to fly with inoperative fuel quantity measuring systems.

The weight on the chart in that manual provided by Boeing was in lbs.

But the Canadian mechanics used metric, so they naturally assumed weight was in KG.

An apparently the mechanic didn't read well enough to see what printed manual units the measure was in, sounds like a noob mistake.

Here ya go! This was around 1982, at the drag races at Gimli. (Aviation buffs will know about the Gimli Glider, a year later.) I'm just the same except with much shorter and greyer hair, lots of wrinkles facial wisdom lines, and an extra 35 lbs of lean rippling muscle fat. I drove a '68 Impala at this time, so had to pose with Fast Freddie.

View attachment 45817

Here's a newer one, of me and my bride after our Valentine's Day bike ride:

View attachment 45819
Just listened to a podcast that had a episode about the Gimli Glider. That’s a wild story.

My first ride of 2021 - on my 42nd birthday. Great day.
My beautiful bride of 11 years and I playing in the snow.
ride.jpg
snow.jpg

A rare photo of me not in a graphic T-shirt/hoodie (Christmas photo with wife and kids, they’re so cute 🥰), me playing around with hair one afternoon reliving my high school emo days, me with the pup on neuter day, and me waiting patiently for my wife to decide what needs stored under the house lol... that COVID neck beard though 😂
59FF5A9D-0204-4C73-BDED-FB9DD5D69284.jpeg
87E3CD31-95CA-400F-B892-7633D092E348.jpeg
A76F71AA-306E-4265-966C-1E41003DB931.jpeg
267153F1-E81E-4181-BCE5-86FDF3529B8F.jpeg

Back