OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that one. It only has 2 flaws: power windows and Lean-Burn system. Otherwise, it's pretty much the setup I prefer.

I used the Riv for this "short" week of driving. Plenty of power, but the Caddy drives way better.

Lean burn? I thought only honda's had that feature,or is it a Honda you are referring to?

Nope, though it may be similar. In the late 70's, Chrysler adopted a fuel and ignition system called "Lean Burn" for all their vehicles by 78-79. Some 77's had it as well. Initially, it was not reliable and there was a mad rush by dealers and owners to remove it and install the 73-76 electronic ignition system instead. The system was greatly improved by the 80's and used on the last RWD Chryslers until decade's end.

Putting the computer on top of the engine did little good for the system.
wink.gif

Last edited:
Went out today and checked the oil in both the Riv and caddy. Riv level didn't move much during the 3 days I used it for work the previous week. Still holding at just under 1/2 qt low on stick.
Caddy now at 3/4 qt low with 700 miles on QSGB 5w-30. Will look again next weekend. Will be adding 10w-40 as it uses it. Next change will likely be thicker still. Really enjoying how this one drives, should've bought one years ago.:) The only complaint really would be that you have to floor it for any passing power on the highway. I try to just time my lane changes to be able to maintain the same speed instead.

@ 900 miles on Caddy's oil, added 1 qt ST 5w-30

Update on injured employee: He is now back at work on moderately restricted duty and seems to be able to make a good recovery. Only one finger is a joint shorter at a passing glance.

added 1/2qt to Riv @ 2100 miles on oil bringing total to 3 quarts. It didn't really need it, but it had room and I didn't feel like putting the bottle back in the garage.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
I will have to check out that uoa, any news on when you will get this 08' avenger? Keep us posted!

adam

Unfortunately, the relative involved with that is not the most timely of people. In other words, it could take months to a year for this to materialize.

I bought that one from the grandson of the original owner. It has 11k miles on it and runs near perfect. It stays in the garage next to the '66 Newport and I believe it got about 20 miles on it last year. I torched a few unsuspecting people on Rt 315 who were expecting to get around "Grandpa".
wink.gif

LOL, I have 3 cousins like that. I see you have a 66' 300, how is that car running or is it a backup duty car?

adam

I'm trying an additive in the Caddy this time around: Bar's Leaks "One Seal" and we'll see what it does. I'm sticking with the thin oil for now as it was only changed a couple weeks ago(1300 miles) and it was below zero last night at work. No surprise as it was all of 2 deg.F when I got there.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I bought that one from the grandson of the original owner. It has 11k miles on it and runs near perfect. It stays in the garage next to the '66 Newport and I believe it got about 20 miles on it last year. I torched a few unsuspecting people on Rt 315 who were expecting to get around "Grandpa". ;)
LOL, I have 3 cousins like that. I see you have a 66' 300, how is that car running or is it a backup duty car?

adam

Just think how well it must have ran on Regular (not unleaded) fuel?

My 2 '66 Chryslers still pack plenty of punch and are quite nimble for a car that size. My '70, on the other hand, is more like a leviathan until you get it to above 40mph.

BTW: I do remember getting asked "Regular or Unleaded?".

Last edited:
A good friend of mine has a 1971 Chevelle SS with a 350 stroker motor. He said when the leaded fuel was taken off the market, it just doesnt pack the same punch anymore. And now we have this Ethanol fortified [censored] fuel too? My millage is horrible on this junk. Pretty stupid when you think about how they want more fuel millage outta vehicles, But then put in Ethanol that reduces it???? I dont get it.

Last edited:
The manual for my '62 Buick calls for 92.5 octane at the minimum.
smile.gif
As you can probably tell, I do not have the lower compression pedestrian engine.
wink.gif

On a side note: You can buy the tetraethyl lead separately and it would only add a couple cents to each gallon. Thing is, I don't know how much to use or how effective it would be in today's ethanol blended fuels.

now @ 1400 miles on caddy, still on track to be adding a qt this weekend. The stop-leak junk I tried says may take up to 300 miles to work, so I won't pass judgement yet.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan, keep us informed. Have you drove the rivera much?

Last used it for about 6-8 miles of errands last weekend and about 300 miles total in the last month. The only way that one goes back to regular use is if the Caddy breaks and I'm waiting for parts or better weather to fix it. It would probably take about 8-10 seconds to build oil pressure in these temps.

Now @1600 miles on Caddy, added 2nd qt of ST 5w-30. I have one more of those left and I'll give it that long before adding 10w-40 to start thickening it up. That should carry through to somewhat warmer temps as well.
I did start the Riv today and it took around 10 seconds to build oil PSI. Ran it for about 10 minutes at various engine speeds other than idle. Did notice a stumble or miss at just a little throttle that went away at higher speeds. I don't believe it was anything serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back