OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supposedly, I'm being given a 2008 Dodge Avenger 4dr sedan w/93k miles on it. A relative of mine gets a new company car (all Mopars) every 4-5 years and thought they would give me one as what I typically drive is considered "junk" to them. This relative is a bit on the "uppity" side, but does mean well.
All I know about it so far is that it's black and has an extra set of Blizzak tires.
I have to admit I'm quite intimidated by these "future cars" as I lose the freedom of being able to fix it myself. I also can't afford to pay someone else to do it at this time. Right now, it runs good and I'll accept it for what it is.

added 6th qt to Caddy @ 3900 miles and tightened 2 fan belts as I was getting an intermittent squeal.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I have to admit I'm quite intimidated by these "future cars" as I lose the freedom of being able to fix it myself.

don't be! i have less of a skill set than you do and i can fix them. most everything is the same, except the obdII set up. and you can get that read at autozone for free! not to mention the new world engine in the new avengers is a solid motor.

You wont know how to act now homeboy! You wont have to add any oil in between oil changes now!
grin.gif

Last edited:
I think that this Avenger would be great on your long commute.
This car is nobody's dream car, but it should deliver good fuel economy, reliability and low oil consumption as you'll use it.
The Avenger should also be a revelation in road manners as compared to the Granada or even the Caddy or the Riv.
Get those Blizzaks mounted and you'll be grinning like a fool on your first drive in the snow. We had a set on one of the Accords and they really are good in treacherous conditions.
WRT working on it, it's a car and you're obviously a talented and resourceful mechanic, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.
Most of what it'll need you already know how to do.
This could be the car you'll drive until you retire, with little need for constant mechanical attention.
This could also be the end of this very entertaining thread, in which so many of us rooted for you and the Granada.

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I have to admit I'm quite intimidated by these "future cars" as I lose the freedom of being able to fix it myself.

don't be! i have less of a skill set than you do and i can fix them. most everything is the same, except the obdII set up. and you can get that read at autozone for free! not to mention the new world engine in the new avengers is a solid motor.

I know that some basic repairs and maintenance items will be possible, but it's the "roadside repairs" and ability to do them that have always gotten me where I want to go. In the car as well as in life.
That said, the car should be in good shape. My relative isn't known for abusing things and had it dealer serviced until now. There was a problem with the intake or head around 30k ago that was fixed and hasn't resurfaced. The biggest problem I forsee will be the sandblasting underneath from all his highway driving through PA and MD.

@111,600 changed oil and filter on Caddy. Put in QSGB 5w-30 and AC filter. I just got fed up with it. At that rate of loss, I should be able to look under car while running and see oil hit the ground, were it all leakage. Hopefully, this stuff stays in grade longer. I did take a sample and dumped the rest into my furnace. It's nice just being able to lie on the snow and reach under the car to change oil.
smile.gif
Consumption of the MS5k drastically went up around 2-2.5k. Original rate when oil was new was around 1qt/1500-2000 miles.
I'm still going to be running this one a while as it takes time to get titles and things. Also it runs so smooth I couldn't tell it was running today.

Last edited:
It should be a long time before the Avenger will need roadside repairs.
I know you'll be proactive on PM, so this car should give you another four years with few problems.
If you're driving 20K each year, then the vehicle will only be around 170K when you retire.
That is well within the mileage a modern car can run without major repair.
Also, the type of driving you're doing is very easy on every mechanical part of the car.

Also because I drive slow, at least that's what I'm told.
wink.gif

When I was first starting out, there were repairs I wasn't sure of, didn't have tools for, or just couldn't afford to buy parts. There was, however, a small garage run by an older mechanic who would do repairs for me on credit. I learned more from watching this guy work than in my 2 years of schooling. In time, he trusted me enough that I could use the bay if he wasn't busy for just $5 and borrow any tool I wanted as long as it didn't leave the property.
Nowadays, I have a good friend up the road who does only the newer cars and I'd like to think he'd share some secrets with me.(it'd only be fair since I help him with the older cars when one shows up)

As of now, I'm only waiting on some long overdue estate checks to slide into semi-retirement. This whole running the floor and being responsible for every breath taken by my crew is more than I can do for much longer. I don't recharge as fast as I used to.

Last edited:
While I didn't go anywhere today on account of being sick, I did start the caddy and clear the snow. I have to say I was quite impressed at how easily it started today and how fast it cranked over. This is my first ever use of 5w-30 in anything besides the snowthrower ever. It also seemed to warm up faster, but that could just be me.

Kind of a sidebar here but also to say thanks for your posts, which are interesting to follow. We're similar enough in age (61) so I can relate to some of your older cars quite a bit.

Your experience with MS5K is the same as mine. I have a '91 Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan. I replaced every seal and gasket except the head gaskets. It had been leaking a quart every 200-250 miles simply due to age and some poor original designs.

Got the MS5K on one of those special deals for like $10 for a 5 qt jug + cheap filter (which I gave away). After all that work, MS5K was using a quart every 1000 miles. I thought what the....? Several years ago oil use was a quart in 2500-3500, which is about what I expected.

Reading your posts prompted me dump it and replace it with PYB in the same 5-30 grade. In 400 miles it hasn't moved on the dipstick. I'm sure some engines do fine with it, but not this one. Your posts made me feel less crazy
grin.gif

Glad you are getting another car. Keep us posted on the usage with the QSGB. I got some QSGB at k mart when it was on sale a while ago. How much snow did ya get in Northeast pa? I drove thru about 12" in Somerset on my way home on Dec 26th

GA is also my original "home state". Formerly of Conyers, in good old Rockdale County GA.
MS5k has done a great job of cleaning engines for me, but it just doesn't stay in them for me. I think it's best left to 21st century designs. The last of the 3rd jug I had has been dumped into my furnace and I'm just moving forward. I was fine with the consumption rate when oil was "new", but I strongly feel that shear did it in and took it to an intolerable rate. I expect that from the '77 Riv as I can watch it leak sometimes, but not this Caddy. Glad I could help.
smile.gif

I'm also "paying it forward" as I have a younger guy, about 26, who comes down here whenever he knows I'm in the shop to learn about fixing older cars. He still hasn't got the drum brake thing down yet, then again, his father doesn't either.
wink.gif
He worked with me for 2 years at my last job and I'm now working on getting him in at my current one. Either to work for me or as my replacement if health doesn't hold out. I will try and hang on to get him started right.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: eagle23
Kind of a sidebar here but also to say thanks for your posts, which are interesting to follow. We're similar enough in age (61) so I can relate to some of your older cars quite a bit.

Your experience with MS5K is the same as mine. I have a '91 Ranger with the 3.0 Vulcan. I replaced every seal and gasket except the head gaskets. It had been leaking a quart every 200-250 miles simply due to age and some poor original designs.

Got the MS5K on one of those special deals for like $10 for a 5 qt jug + cheap filter (which I gave away). After all that work, MS5K was using a quart every 1000 miles. I thought what the....? Several years ago oil use was a quart in 2500-3500, which is about what I expected.

Reading your posts prompted me dump it and replace it with PYB in the same 5-30 grade. In 400 miles it hasn't moved on the dipstick. I'm sure some engines do fine with it, but not this one. Your posts made me feel less crazy
grin.gif

I have about 8 inches on the roofs of the outdoors portion of the fleet with no sign of it melting anytime soon. Possibly more coming on Wednesday? I had someone come and plow my snow hills out of the way so I'd have room to deal with more if /when it comes. I was really sick all this week so the snow gave me lots of trouble. Every 20 minutes of working took over 2 hours of rest to get up again. Doing that oil change seemed all I could do that day, but it had to be done. The next 2 weeks I only get 1-day weekends, which will take quite a toll.
frown.gif

I'm not even going to try digging out the Riv, though I did go and start it and run it for about 10 minutes today.

Originally Posted By: shell_user
Glad you are getting another car. Keep us posted on the usage with the QSGB. I got some QSGB at k mart when it was on sale a while ago. How much snow did ya get in Northeast pa? I drove thru about 12" in Somerset on my way home on Dec 26th

Last edited:
It'll still be some time before I get this "new" car as I must wait for my relative to get a title for it from his company and then transfer it to me. Winter here will likely be over then. I'll also have to spend some time in practice as I'm used to cars that I can see the ends of all 4 corners on. My previous experiences with smaller rounded off cars was not pretty. It's safe to say that I'd fail the driver's test in a modern car, but still ace it in my traditional models. I'll approach it as a new challenge and hopefully, it saves enough $ to offset the insurance. I look at it as a learning experience with nothing to lose.
smile.gif

Glad you are optimistic and keep us posted on the "fleet". Get better and stay warm and safe when working in this winter we're having.

ADAM

Today, I used just about all available energy to change the heater core on my mother's '78 LTD. Being sick sucks.
frown.gif
I shouldn't have done it, but it would've taken me possibly a month to find the time again and I knew I had another 2 days to finish resting. I'm headed back to bed again soon.
frown.gif

Mission accomplished so I'll rest easy.
smile.gif

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on that one. It only has 2 flaws: power windows and Lean-Burn system. Otherwise, it's pretty much the setup I prefer.

I used the Riv for this "short" week of driving. Plenty of power, but the Caddy drives way better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back