OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since it looks like it will take a quart every 3-4 weeks, should be no problem with 5k+ I think. I had 2 5-qt jugs left over and am using the 2nd one for top-offs. That stuff did a great job in cleaning out the Granada's engine, so one good run should be great for this car.
There's a blue-green 2dr Rambler in Duryea for sale from time to time. It also shows up at some local shows too. I always preferred the looks of the '58 Rambler myself.

Yeah, I like a lot of the 50's era cars myself, even the Plymouth Fury's and the Chrysler letter series as in C, D and etc

Glad the MS5K is a good cleaning oil and you are having success with it. Any more info on the injured worker? Sorry to nag about that, just wondering and prayin for him.

adam

Originally Posted By: shell_user

Glad the MS5K is a good cleaning oil and you are having success with it. Any more info on the injured worker? Sorry to nag about that, just wondering and prayin for him.

adam

Miguel is getting better but still on the "No Duty" roster. I was talking to the guy who used to give him a ride to work and he says that "rehab" will be painful. They've used skin from his gut area to replace missing parts on his hand.
I personally, haven't seen him since that night.

I was up wally-world to get some anti-freeze and grab some Type-F for my Chryslers. Picked up some Delo 15w-40 for $12/gal for them as well.
Also grabbed a MS5k 5w-30 5qt jug for future caddy use, a 5qt QSDefy 10w-30 SL jug for unknown future use yet, and a ST 10w-30 5qt jug for top-off use in my leakers.
I noticed that now the jugs are the Warren-style and the Mobil-looking ones are gone. Also noted that all the ST 5w-30 and 10w-30 is sold out. I got the last 10w-30. That kind of tells me what most around here are using anyways.

Also stopped by Kmart to get some keys made and picked up a set of the C-man universal pass-through sockets w/handle. Only gripe about these is that all the sizes are painted on, no stamping or engraving. Also noted their oil prices bite.

Last edited:
My sisters had a Volare 4dr as a college car.
It was a '78, IIRC and had a 318.
It was slow, uneconomical, had a tiny trunk and interior for its external dimensions and had neither a good ride nor good handling.
All in all, it made the '76 Nova Concours that my dad drove for a year feel sporty, fast and luxurious.
Chevy stole the greenhouse profile from the concurent five series, although after driving a '76 530i, I came to really understand what made the mid-market German cars so desirable.
I liked the 530i so much that I actually looked for a decent used one as a fun weekend car.
It's probably better that I bought an MGB instead (I've always liked ragtops), since while the MGB always needed some type of fixing, it was really easy and cheap to work on, which would not have been the case with a 530i.
Still, my dad took the Volare in on trade dirt cheap, and it was a very clean low mileage car.
It served its purpose, and the girls couldn't kill it.

Taking the Caddy on a 200-mile round trip tomorrow for the holiday. I think it'll do just fine.
smile.gif

Hi again SS1970CHRYSLER, hope you have a great trip and travel safe. I got a few of the MS 5K 5qt jugs here in Punxsutawney wal mart last night for $12'ish so couldnt beat it. They didnt have qs or pyb in the grade my car takes. Keep us posted and let us know how the trip in the caddy went.

adam

Returned safely from my trip to the Philly area last night. Mileage on the pike was exceptional, compared to my usual runs. I'd guess mostly due to the steep grades on I-81. Did add 2nd qt of oil after I got back and refueled. Now @ 1900 miles on oil.
Some of the loss I'd attribute to "shear" as my previous runs of this oil always read on the low viscosity side when tested. The QSGB I'll be switching to in the future should hold up better. 1000 miles per quart is far better than the Riviera, but not where I want to be.

Glad you made it home from your trip to Philly. So you think the MS5K sheared some or leaked some? Keep us posted and thank you very much for starting this thread, as I look forward to hearing your adventures.

I'd be tempted to add a quart of MMO or a pint of Seafaom as one top-off, to see if it cleans and frees the rings.

Another thing I'd try is a vacumn-line water de-carb or Seafoaming...either of these could shock-clean the rings and reduce consumption.

Possibly worth a try......

I really just don't trust those additives, at least not ones that go in that direction. If I did something like that, it would be a top-off before changing on the last run home from work.
My tentative plan is to run this fill of MS5k until all 5 qts of the 2nd jug are used and I get a quart low from there. After that, I'll be in "chilly" weather and use the MS5k 5w-30 jug I have. Might also just change the filter at 5k and run through into the 3rd jug(5w-30) to get through winter. I can use even my free straight-grade 30w in the summer

Now @ 2300 miles on caddy, added 3rd qt, so this stuff is definitely going faster as it shears or thins from use. I don't really see any evidence of burning off or smell anything. I'm thinking rear seal on this one as well. Still motoring along just fine otherwise.
smile.gif

I'd bought that since it was on sale and it may stay in grade better. In the warmer weather, my straight grade 30w will be just fine, but finding a multi-grade 30 for the winters is key. Currently in stash: MS5k 5w-30, Pronto 5w-30, QSGB 5w-30, ST 10w-30, QSGB 10w-30, T5 10w-30.
I might just skip over the remaining jug of MS5k and just use it for top-offs or in my snowthrower since I know what the results will be in the car. Only 2 qts left from 2nd jug now. The rate of loss increasing is what leads me to thinking about shear.

A fill of the T5 would be my next move.

Even in the winter it will allow good starts, and the thickness and reduced volatility will maybe help....

For now, @2700 miles on oil, I've added a STP knockoff. That should bring the viscosity back up for the remainder of this OCI.
I ran my "primitive" oil-burning check last night and saw no evidence of any. What you do is get someone behind you on a clear night while off the gas on a downhill grade. Then you step on it and watch the mirror for clouds.
wink.gif
AOK
I'm going to watch closely what this now thicker oil does and move upwards gradually. If consumption/leakage continues, I'll run through the 3rd jug. If it cuts down a lot, QSGB is next. Got to use the 5w-30 somewhere...

On Friday morning, the wiper motor on Caddy died, so a slow drive home was in order. Was able to get a new one by next day, so had to use the Riv for Friday night's driving. Haven't used it in a week, so I timed the oil light on start-up. It took 8 seconds for the light to go off. When driven every day, it takes less than 4 seconds. Moving forward, 10w-40 will be the oil of choice in that one when "new" oil is used.
I emptied the MS5k and ST 5w-30 jugs into quart bottles for restocking my shelf of top-off oils. I really hate wasting that much oil as I'm not even getting my secondary furnace use from it. I'm also pondering using 10w-40 as my top-off in the caddy to combat shear as it leaks down in the future.

You could possibly try the QS DEFY in 10W30 or 10w40 couldnt ya? I would try that if you can find it out your way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back