OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
it should be alot tighter than the granada.

i always loved the sound of the rocket olds motors. had a 71 olds w/ a 350 in the late 80's

I've now put roughly 300 miles on the caddy this week. On the surface, it seems to use the same amount of gas as the Riv. Too early to tell as the tank wasn't full at the start+the old gas factor. Whoever owned this car initially used Kendall syn-blend according to maint records.
The manual states 5w-30 as the preferred grade for this one, but 10w-30 is still mentioned as well.

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
I've now put roughly 300 miles on the caddy this week. On the surface, it seems to use the same amount of gas as the Riv. Too early to tell as the tank wasn't full at the start+the old gas factor. Whoever owned this car initially used Kendall syn-blend according to maint records.
The manual states 5w-30 as the preferred grade for this one, but 10w-30 is still mentioned as well.

So what are you going to run in it?

Probably 10w-30 and 5w-30 from the local low price 3- ST, MS5k, QSGB. Currently using a jug of 10w-30 MS5k leftover from the Granada. This is a roller motor, so zddp shouldn't be an issue and the thinner oil should do well in it.

Now at 500 miles on caddy, checked oil and levels are good. Only problem has been an occasional stall when engine fully warmed and stopping to back up. Starts right back up easily. The goo that the previous oil turned into hasn't fully mixed into the new oil as it looks streaky on the stick. That should clear up by next change.

Kendall is a good oil - even if it was neglected for a bit, it should clean up nicely with modern 10W and 5W-30. I doubt it really sludged up.

What came out seemed very "sooty" and very difficult to get off of my hands when draining.
Either way, it seems to be running very well and I'm taking it for emissions and safety stickers tomorrow. By the end of this week, I'll have a more realistic idea of fuel use as well.
I've actually been pondering using T5 in this one since it's usually fairly priced around here.

Last edited:
T5 would be an awesome choice for this engine. As for the 'sootiness' of the oil, I'd say this is a good thing - soot and dirt suspended in the oil means its doing it's job.

If the oil become 'chunky' and 'slimy' or 'sticky', that's when its not so good....can you see in the fill hole to see how dirty it is?

Nope. This one has the "Oldsmobile oil fill tube" on the top of the timing cover. Nothing to really see there.
I have one more jug of MS5k 10w-30 left over from the Granada that I'll use within next 2 changes. I'm likely to pick up a jug of 5w-30 for the winter fill.
T5 is actually cheaper and easier to find than regular Rotella 10w-30 around here.
Over 700 miles and no oil loss yet. So far, the Caddy saves about $10 a week in gas and $4 a week in oil. Win-win thus far.

Picked up 2 of Advance Auto's $16.99 QSGB oil change specials w/ driveworks filters for the Caddy and some nice reversible Gearwrenches. Rotated the tires around today as the rear ones were one size smaller than the fronts.

Riviera now @ 99,996 miles. Added 2nd qt of 10w-30 to the fill at around 1.7k on oil. As it gets low, I'm thinning down the 20w-50 during the winter. Used it for work last night and developed a coolant leak around the thermostat housing. After taking it apart this morning, I found the hose nipple on the water neck to be rusted through. I still had one left in the basement from a previous car, so I installed it with a new 195 stat.

Caddy is still fine and needed its' first qt. of oil added around 1.6k.

That one (Riv) is still getting used once every other week or so for work and getting used for all my local trips to keep it running and ready if I need it again. It'll need new wiper arms, PS pump, and tires to be regular daily car again reliably. I'll do these things in Spring. It also leaks too much oil currently.
The main strength I bought this car for was the large supply of engine related parts I still had for that engine.
That water neck had been hanging on a hook in the basement since 2005.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: shell_user
I forgot to ask you; how is the injured co worker? Still praying he makes out ok.

Adam

Last I checked, he's still on the roster. I talked to a friend of his who said he is doing well, but still has to be very careful of infections to the grafts.

Today, I changed the diff oil in the Caddy. I spent about a half hour tap-tap-tapping with a chisel to spin out the frozen fill plug and then pumped the presumed factory fill out with my drill-pump. I couldn't find any spare plugs handy, so I welded a pipe plug upside down into the stripped square drive hole, then welded a 7/8 ball joint nut to that after threading it down. It should be near bullet-proof. Car is at 108.9k miles and oil used was Service Pro 80w-90 GL5.
I also re-checked my work on the Riv's thermostat and it is holding up fine. In re-examining the failed water neck, I found it had rusted from the outside. Looks like moisture got in in that small area of hose between the end and the clamp and ate it away. I put a small amount on engine oil on this area to hopefully avoid this happening again.

yes, I did on its' first day of registered use @ 107.7k miles. It is now around 1200 miles into that change with one quart added. This one's a leaker too, but goes more than twice as far per quart. Nearly 3 weeks whereas the Riv got one each week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back