OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: shell_user
You could possibly try the QS DEFY in 10W30 or 10w40 couldnt ya? I would try that if you can find it out your way.

In the Buick, yes and may use it next time. I used my mother's car as a guinea pig with that oil and will see the results in Spring. (1978 LTD)
The caddy has a 307 which should be the roller lifter version and specifies thin oils. Even the manual for my '85 olds with same engine said to avoid 10w-40 in that motor.
The caddy has enough power to do what I need, but really can't afford any more sluggishness than it has. Keeping that in mind, I'm taking a different approach to this one. I'm going to gradually scale up till I find something just thick enough to do the job to my satisfaction. 5W-30 is the recommended grade for this car with 10w-30 as 2nd and straight 30w as 3rd choice. I've yet to see Defy in a 5w-30 thus far. price on that stuff is right inline with T5 in this area.
Update: Just got a case of Bosch filters for the caddy at a great deal.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Now @ 3100 miles on oil, I topped off with 1/2 qt of 30w to make it an even 4qts added counting the "stp". I'll check again in 2 weeks.
Replaced 3 light bulbs that died- 1 t-signal, 2 marker lights.

Last edited:
In looking through a cross-reference, those Bosch 3423 filters I got are also listed for my '77 Buick. Strangely, they don't show up for my '62 Buick which uses the same filter (PH-25) as my '77. The only differences I can see are can diameter and the outer diameter of the gasket is a bit smaller, maybe 1/16 inch. I'll have to check the mounting surface "footprint" on a used filter from these cars against one of the Bosch filter next time I change one.
While the '77 is a semi-horizontal mount, the '62 is a vertical mount and its' location allows lots of [censored]/water to collect on top of the can leading to filter rust on top. The smaller bosch can may not have this problem on the '62.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
You could possibly try the QS DEFY in 10W30 or 10w40 couldnt ya? I would try that if you can find it out your way.

In the Buick, yes and may use it next time. I used my mother's car as a guinea pig with that oil and will see the results in Spring. (1978 LTD)
The caddy has a 307 which should be the roller lifter version and specifies thin oils. Even the manual for my '85 olds with same engine said to avoid 10w-40 in that motor.
The caddy has enough power to do what I need, but really can't afford any more sluggishness than it has. Keeping that in mind, I'm taking a different approach to this one. I'm going to gradually scale up till I find something just thick enough to do the job to my satisfaction. 5W-30 is the recommended grade for this car with 10w-30 as 2nd and straight 30w as 3rd choice. I've yet to see Defy in a 5w-30 thus far. price on that stuff is right inline with T5 in this area.
smile.gif

Maybe advance the timing 2 degree`s or so?

Originally Posted By: lexus114

smile.gif

No defy in the 5w-30 flavour? I'm sure I've seen it at wal-mart but iirc it's SJ rated if that matters.

Maybe advance the timing 2 degree`s or so?

Might have to give that a whirl. I was considering a Pertronix Flamethrower setup like I used on my '85 previously.

Might have to give that a whirl. I was considering a Pertronix Flamethrower setup like I used on my '85 previously.

Or an MSD unit.

Yep. leakage/loss was never higher on that car than when using MS5k. I still had 2 jugs left over from it that I'm running through this Caddy. Of note, just added 5th quart at 3700 miles on this fill. Definitely going thicker for next run and will use the QSGB 5w-30 after this "cleaning" cycle.
I see you noted that when using the MS5K it leaks more. Interesting

If you were close to Boiling Springs I would give ya some Rotella T5 10W30 that my brother gave me this afternoon.

adam

I have some T5 (3 jugs), but if it doesn't stay in the car long, then its powers are wasted. I've got a few different things here due to sales and leftovers. I'll come up with a winning combo in terms of $/miles.

I'll be trying some of my "free" XHD30w in it during warmer weather for sure.
wink.gif
I'll be at 4k on this stuff by month's end. By my calculations, it will have used 6-7 qts by the 5k mark and be a qt low at that time. My last major drives for the month are another 200 mile round trip and a run to the doctor's office(about 90 miles). depending on the weather over New year's weekend, I might just change it then and do a UOA to see if there isn't any other issues like fuel dillution.
Even something like adding 10w-40 or 20w-50 as it leaks is being considered...

Last edited:
Picked up some Purolater Classics supposedly for my '62 Buick today. Looks like the '77 will get them instead as they are 1 inch too long to use on my '62.
frown.gif

Of note: that particular filter seems to be out of stock in almost all brands, even Fram for the last few years. I never find more than 2 at any store and they're always "old". That's one of the reasons I've been using the Pronto filters on that car.

12 non-grippy Frams left, 1 grippy Fram, 10 PZ-2's, 4 prontos, and 4 older STP's. Mileage is never a concern with that car so I use just about anything that will fit it. Purolator doesn't clear my exhaust or steering, so they'll go on the '77 which has room and I just won't buy anymore of them. That's a pretty good stash and I'm looking into extending my drain intervals to more than one year as long as the filters don't rust on top. That's an issue with this model unless driven daily.
Prontos can be found at least once a month so running out isn't a real issue unless I decide not to use those anymore.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back