Non-directional performance winter tires 205/65-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
Originally Posted By: SubLGT
Re: directional vs non-directional. When Continental introduced the new WinterContact SI (in 2015), they had this to say:

"…………..Why directional? According to Continental Key Account Manager Ryan Bradshaw, the asymmetrical tread pattern proved superior in Continental’s testing for the Extreme Winter Contact, but consumer and dealer perception was that asymmetrical tires were associated with all-season tires, as opposed to winter tires. In short, explained Mr. Bradshaw, the tire was sometimes ignored in the marketplace simply due to the unfamiliar pattern of its tread. Continental thus engineered the more familiar directional design into the WinterContact Si in response………….."

http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/winter-tire-review-continental-wintercontact-si/

He sounds like a marketing person.

The consumer and dealer perception is that the legendary status of the ExtremeContact DWS, does not require consumers and dealers to push the EWS. Their perception is, DWS stands for Dry, wet, & SNOW, and thus an actual snow tire is not needed.

The North American general perception is all-season is more than sufficient for snow & ice, unless you're in the mountain states where Subaru's and Audi's are the norm (then more of them would be using snow tires in addition to having AWD).

look at the comments when Continental tries to inform the public.
https://youtu.be/clSC7APitaQ

Next to Pick up truck, Subaru's are most often in a ditch or rear ending some other car here in Colorado Springs in the winter (keep in mind largest Subaru dealer by volume is in Colorado Springs in NA, so they are everywhere).
Problem regardless is it Northeast, Northwest, Rockies, Chicago, MN is that snow tires have serious advantage in braking. Yet, everyone is still more afraid of being stuck.
I work in complex to which from one side of town you can only come climbing 300 yard 6% incline. It is a mess every winter, because somehow people in Colorado Springs get surprise by snow. Anyway, my co-worker has to navigate that and she is seriously bad driver and seriously afraid. So every winter you have cars stuck going up, and cars slamming other cars going down. So last winter she gets subaru. All happy, and tells me first that she got new car since I was telling her to get snow tires. I said: fine, you will come to work, but how you will go down? She is how you mean? I said you need to stop at that intersection. Her answer: oh well, it wills top as long as I am not stuck. So human psychology, they are more afraid of being stuck and alive then not being able to brake.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Re: directional vs non-directional. When Continental introduced the new WinterContact SI (in 2015), they had this to say:

"…………..Why directional? According to Continental Key Account Manager Ryan Bradshaw, the asymmetrical tread pattern proved superior in Continental’s testing for the Extreme Winter Contact, but consumer and dealer perception was that asymmetrical tires were associated with all-season tires, as opposed to winter tires. In short, explained Mr. Bradshaw, the tire was sometimes ignored in the marketplace simply due to the unfamiliar pattern of its tread. Continental thus engineered the more familiar directional design into the WinterContact Si in response………….."

http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/winter-tire-review-continental-wintercontact-si/

The consumer and dealer perception is that the legendary status of the ExtremeContact DWS, does not require consumers and dealers to push the EWS. Their perception is, DWS stands for Dry, wet, & SNOW, and thus an actual snow tire is not needed.

The North American general perception is all-season is more than sufficient for snow & ice, unless you're in the mountain states where Subaru's and Audi's are the norm (then more of them would be using snow tires in addition to having AWD).

Next to Pick up truck, Subaru's are most often in a ditch or rear ending some other car here in Colorado Springs in the winter (keep in mind largest Subaru dealer by volume is in Colorado Springs in NA, so they are everywhere).
Problem regardless is it Northeast, Northwest, Rockies, Chicago, MN is that snow tires have serious advantage in braking. Yet, everyone is still more afraid of being stuck.
I work in complex to which from one side of town you can only come climbing 300 yard 6% incline. It is a mess every winter, because somehow people in Colorado Springs get surprise by snow. Anyway, my co-worker has to navigate that and she is seriously bad driver and seriously afraid. So every winter you have cars stuck going up, and cars slamming other cars going down. So last winter she gets subaru. All happy, and tells me first that she got new car since I was telling her to get snow tires. I said: fine, you will come to work, but how you will go down? She is how you mean? I said you need to stop at that intersection. Her answer: oh well, it wills top as long as I am not stuck. So human psychology, they are more afraid of being stuck and alive then not being able to brake.

6% hill is nothing. in my development, I have a choice of a 10% or 13% hill to get to the main road to choose from. Going down, even with snow tires, it's still a pants-wetting experience. Even back when I had Nokian Hakka RSI, they struggled to provide braking grip. That's when I had to chain up to safely maintain control down those hills.

The bright side is, I never have to worry about flooding.

...The consumer and dealer perception is that the legendary status of the ExtremeContact DWS, does not require consumers and dealers to push the EWS. Their perception is, DWS stands for Dry, wet, & SNOW, and thus an actual snow tire is not needed.

The most entertaining, and scary comment to the youtube video was: I have all wheel drive, all season tires. Can't even get them to slip on ice, I've tried. There is no way that commenter tested his vehicle on real ice.

Now I really wish my experience with Conti wasn't so terrible! Had problems with at least a couple sets of their tires (ContiExtremeContact and General Altimax XP), early cracking, sidewall bubble in the General (60-series, not low-profile at all), can't hold air. And yes, I know the Altimax RT43 is popular on BITOG, and people seem to like the DWS.

If Continental's quality was a little better, the TS810 would be my top choice.

...The consumer and dealer perception is that the legendary status of the ExtremeContact DWS, does not require consumers and dealers to push the EWS. Their perception is, DWS stands for Dry, wet, & SNOW, and thus an actual snow tire is not needed.

The most entertaining, and scary comment to the youtube video was: I have all wheel drive, all season tires. Can't even get them to slip on ice, I've tried. There is no way that commenter tested his vehicle on real ice.

Maybe he was on ice so cold and such a cold day, that a thin layer of water could not form. Yes, there is a sweet spot for ice to be slippery.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
I don't think it will, since the Ventus Prime2 is a summer tire. Not really sold here except in the sizes uses as OE on Mercedes cars originally equipped with them. A grand touring summer tire, made in Hungary.

Oh good grief. The information I have then is very spotty at best. I guess I'll have to look at the Hankook website directly or something. As an aside, I've driven a couple blocks in the winter on summer tires, and they were okay on ice, with caution. On the snow, oh boy.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

6% hill is nothing. in my development, I have a choice of a 10% or 13% hill to get to the main road to choose from. Going down, even with snow tires, it's still a pants-wetting experience. Even back when I had Nokian Hakka RSI, they struggled to provide braking grip. That's when I had to chain up to safely maintain control down those hills.

The bright side is, I never have to worry about flooding.

I am talking about major three lane street in one direction, not development.

UPDATE

I have decided not to get separate winter tires since my car has too much rust, so I won't be keeping the car for too long (no more than 6 months)

My tire choice will likely be the Falken Ziex ZE950, but I'm also considering the Vredestein Quatrac 5 if I can get them (they're in and out of stock)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back