Non-directional performance winter tires 205/65-15

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: edyvw
I would avoid all four brands.
Get Continental, Bridgestone, Michelin....

Honestly, I'd rather have the cheap brands than Conti. I never have any luck with their tires. Cooper is quite popular on here.

And the premium brands don't make the kinds of tires I'm looking for, in my size.

Pirelli seems to make the Snowcontrol Serie 3 in this size, but it's directional. Made in Romania or Turkey.

But is Pirelli really better than Kumho/Hankook/Falken/Cooper?

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
Pirelli seems to make the Snowcontrol Serie 3 in this size, but it's directional. Made in Romania or Turkey.

Absolutely it is better.
Hankook W300 was the worse winter tire I ever owned, and I owned probably 20+ models of winter tires.

Originally Posted By: SR20DE
Hard to find one that's directional. I love the Tire Rack's winter tire comparo, especially the video. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=193

Not hard at all. From your link:

The Yokohama IceGuard IG52c, Michelin Xice Xi3, & Blizzak WS-80 are directional.

that's 3 out of 4 in that test (the Dunlop's are assymetric)

Add in the General Altimax Arctic. That's another popular tire that happens to be directional.... if you search on Tirerack, for the OP's size.... Winterforce are also directional, as well as Goodyear UltraGrip Winter & Dunlop SP LT60.... 7 out of 8 tires are directional.

Absolutely it is better.
Hankook W300 was the worse winter tire I ever owned, and I owned probably 20+ models of winter tires.

The W300, never had issues with them, in multiple snowstorms. Lateral grip in the slush... not that good, but it was my fault for driving a little fast as I was behind schedule going to the airport. Nonetheless, the W300 is a non-issue, as several years ago, it was been replaced by the iCept Evo (and it's going on its second generation now)

Originally Posted By: UG_Passat

Absolutely it is better.

The W300, never had issues with them, in multiple snowstorms. Lateral grip in the slush... not that good, but it was my fault for driving a little fast as I was behind schedule going to the airport. Nonetheless, the W300 is a non-issue, as several years ago, it was been replaced by the iCept Evo (and it's going on its second generation now)

Well they are OK, depending how you look at it. I had them in Europe, and with Kumho, and some other god knows what brands (Chinese, Taiwanese, etc) Hankook is at the bottom of food chain when it comes to snow tires. W300 compare to Good Year Ultra Grip 6 at that time and Continental TS810 is not worth a penny. It is that big difference. I think you still can dig out test results on ADAC.de and difference is like night and day between Hankook n one side and Continetal, Dunlop, Good Year on another.

the above dialog between edy and UG goes to show that the most important thing about winter tires is that you have them. Even if the W300 was the worst winter tire you had (edyvw), it's a non-issue because they still performed well in snow (UG_P), and the newer W310 I'm considering is better than the W300.

the above dialog between edy and UG goes to show that the most important thing about winter tires is that you have them. Even if the W300 was the worst winter tire you had (edyvw), it's a non-issue because they still performed well in snow (UG_P), and the newer W310 I'm considering is better than the W300.

Worst snow tire is better then best all season tire during winter. It is simple as that.

Originally Posted By: Jetronic
205/65R15 isn't realy a performance category, it'll be hard to find performance winters in that size

by today's standards, you're correct. But, about a little over a decade ago, it was a performance category.

also happens to be a minus-2 for 215/50r17

205/65R15 isn't realy a performance category, it'll be hard to find performance winters in that size

I found six
smile.gif

The four I mentioned in my OP, plus the Nexen Winguard Snow'G and Pirelli Snowcontrol 3

Plus, those "all weather" tires are almost performance winter tires (Nokian WRG3, Toyo Celsius, Vredestein Quatrac 5, etc)

I couldn't find any wit a V-rating, only H-rated which would be run of the mill here...

I'm using Michelin Crossclimate in 205/50VR17 as my performance winter tyre. It's perfect for my use, last year we had 10 days of snow but the main roads got cleared after day 1, the smaller roads on day 2.

I had been considering cooper weathermaster snow in the same size, but I simply don't get enough snow here.

I couldn't find any wit a V-rating, only H-rated which would be run of the mill here...

As an aside, I was looking to try the Hankook in your signature on my G37 just now, but none were available close by!

They're not so good in the wet. The sidewalls are really stiff which makes for good turn in on dry roads but does the wet traction no favours I think. No issues at all with standing water or aquaplaning though. They also don't seem to wear, but I don't recall the treadwear rating on these. The Ventus Prime 3 are likely a better bet in the wet, if the EU tyre label is to be believed.

Noise is never absent, even on the best of road surfaces, but it seems it never gets to the same extremes on bad surfaces that my Pirelli P7 got either. But the pirellis could be absolutely quiet on smooth roads (those were 225/45R17).

I got the tyres free, and got 3 more which are half used. I'll switch them out before the weather turns colder for the crossclimates.

This is going to sound weird, but the best winter tires I ever had were the original Goodyear Aquatreds, the ones that looked like two narrow tires mounted side-by-side on the same rim, with a deep groove in between.

Had them on an '82 VW Rabbit diesel, and that thing would chew through snow-covered roads like a Jeep. Never had a "proper" winter tire that performed as well as those old Aquatreds.

I'm using Michelin Crossclimate in 205/50VR17 as my performance winter tyre. It's perfect for my use, last year we had 10 days of snow but the main roads got cleared after day 1, the smaller roads on day 2.

I had been considering cooper weathermaster snow in the same size, but I simply don't get enough snow here.

H is sufficient for a performance winter
smile.gif

Please keep us updated on how the CrossClimate is, how long they last, etc. Too bad Michelin doesn't sell it in the US. It's interesting to see how the new European all-season tires are different than the all-weather tires sold here. The only all-season tires common to both sides of the ocean are the Nokian WRG3 and Vredestein Quatrac line. The Hankook Optimo 4S and Kumho Solus HA31 are only sold in Canada, not the USA.

Originally Posted By: Evili
This is going to sound weird, but the best winter tires I ever had were the original Goodyear Aquatreds, the ones that looked like two narrow tires mounted side-by-side on the same rim, with a deep groove in between.

Had them on an '82 VW Rabbit diesel, and that thing would chew through snow-covered roads like a Jeep. Never had a "proper" winter tire that performed as well as those old Aquatreds.

These, right?

aquatred-case-17-638.jpg

I can see why they'd be good in snow. Like you said, they're like two narrow tires mounted side-by-side, so it helps press down on the road better. Especially on a car as light as an old Rabbit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back