Nissan NV oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just bought a new 2016 Nissan NV Passenger 3500 with the 5.6 V8. I live in south Louisiana, drive a little less than 15k miles/yr, and do a fair amount of towing (5000 - 7000 lbs). I would like to keep the change interval between 5000 - 7500 miles and purchase from Walmart or Amazon. Nissan recommends 5W30. Thanks.

I suggested a Fram Ultra but I see you're towing a bunch which I missed
So WallyWorld Ultra and depends on the $$$$ Mobil 1, QSUD, Magnatec is SS in 5w30.....
PP........ Napa FS if in the area is cheap too as noted

So did your Nissan stealer just tell you to go to Wallymart and buy any old 5w30 ??

I think not, unless they were full of the festive spirit. So perhaps you should read the new cars guarantee and warranty terms lube section. Then make sure your return for the free first service and then use a fully approved oil, like wot Mobil and Casteroil make.
They do use 0 and 5w20 oils in the far East, although I'm not sure what Nissan US Inc say in their owners handbook.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UltrafanUK
So did your Nissan stealer just tell you to go to Wallymart and buy any old 5w30 ??

I think not, unless they were full of the festive spirit. So perhaps you should read the new cars guarantee and warranty terms lube section. Then make sure your return for the free first service and use a fully approved Nissan oil.
They do use 0 and 5w20 oils in the far East, although I'm not sure what Nissan US Inc say in their owners handbook.

Any old Wal-Mart 5W-30 will meet API SN, which is what he needs.

My choice would be an Orange Can Of Delight and VWB every 5k.

Or an Ultra and Ultra for 10k+

His vehicle will call for any SN or newer 5w-30, not even a GF-5 lubricant. He can grab any SN/GF-5, including SuperTech from Walmart, or an A5/B5 like Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30, or an E6, E7, E9 SN 5w-30, or even a dexos2/SN 5w-30. The list of lubricants that meet Nissan's specification (no proprietary specification at all) is exceedingly long.

The Nissan OCIs aren't overly taxing, either. Certain engines they make have been hard on oil, but Nissan/Infiniti is not known for stretching out OCIs in North America.

I would use a Fram Ultra and Mobil 1 5w30 ep in my opinion you can't beat that combo.. If you change your oil every 5000-7000 miles that would be overkill. You can go 1 year 15,000 miles on that engine if it is in good condition.

Napa Synthetic is on sale for $2.99 this month. It is rebranded Synpower and meets dexos standards. Pair it with a Napa Gold filter.

What is Nissan's factory-recommended OCI?

Depends on what you are doing to it. This rig uses the same engine as the titan - the VK-56XX....

Owning a titan since 04 and having done UOA's early on - this engine is a known oil shearer with a lot of chains sprockets and gears.

It will shear a full grade out at 7500 miles if its used in a high load or towing situation.

I run 0w40 in mine and end up with a 30 at the end of the OCI vs ending up with a 20.
(if you go on the various titan forums you will find mucho info on this)

IF just driving around lightly loaded its not so bad I'd run what the cap says.

FWIW - I run FU's out to 7500 and microgreens out to 10K then flush the sump.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: UncleDave
Depends on what you are doing to it. This rig uses the same engine as the titan - the VK-56XX....
Owning a titan since 04 and having done UOA's early on - this engine is a known oil shearer with a lot of chains sprockets and gears.
It will shear a full grade out at 7500 miles if its used in a high load or towing situation.
I run 0w40 in mine and end up with a 30 at the end of the OCI vs ending up with a 20.
UD

Great post and I agree about using an 0w40, as the engine concerned is similar to the one in my race tuned Twingo town car. The manual lists both Xw30 and Xw40's, but only fuel economy fanatics use an Xw30 (They use an 0w20 in winter), the, "Go think for go long", extended OCI and block life oily fans all use an Xw40.

Good idea to flush the sump if you extend an OCI, or get the oil turn black before dumping it.

Last edited:
UD

Great post and I agree about using an 0w40, as the engine concerned is similar to the one in my race tuned Twingo town car. The manual lists both Xw30 and Xw40's, but only fuel economy fanatics use an Xw30 (They use an 0w20 in winter), the, "Go think for go long", extended OCI and block life oily fans all use an Xw40.

Good idea to flush the sump if you extend an OCI, or get the oil turn black before dumping it.

When I said "flush the sump" I should have just said dump it out,

I dont bother with flushing as I move lots of oil through the rig anyway and Ive been under the above covers and its clean as as a whistle.

I tow regularly with loads between 5 and 9K through the mojave desert and death valley and frequent the davis dam run that is the spec hill the the SAE j2807 test is based on.

UD

UD

Thanks for the info. Is using an xW40 a warranty concern?

I've got a Frontier with the 4.0 which is real hard on oil, do similar towing as well and the best combo I've found so far is Castrol Edge Euro Blend 0w40 (black bottle) with Fram Ultra
CrazyOilGuy, you converted me to the fram, so a begrudging thank you

I suppose if you had an oil related failure and anyone could even tell the difference you could, but blaming an internal problem slightly thicker but still pretty light 40 grade is a giant stretch of could happens.

If I recall my manual was either vague or had a range of oils, where later Nissan started specing 5w30, maybe not, I never really gave this much concern. Fro example here is a screenshot of the 04 titan manual I pulled down - see how it doesnt spec a grade but does layout spec. API SL ILsac etc....

UD

Prob better than what most of these get for loving and just fine.

I give a bit more love on mine because Im so hard on it from a pulling perspective.

Im a "magnet guy" and notice a marked difference in what I put out when towing vs just driving around.

UD

Originally Posted By: 72sub
Thanks for the info. Is using an xW40 a warranty concern?

Maybe, maybe not. Do note that you can run a high HTHS 5w-30 according to the manual, as long as it's SN. If you read the paragraph in the manual before that chart, it says that an SN 5w-30 is acceptable, and doesn't have to be actually SN/GF-5. Castrol agrees with me on this. If you decide that an ordinary 5w-30 isn't "good enough," for whatever reason, you can run Delvac 1 LE 5w-30 or a competitor's equivalent in E6, E7, E9, SN, with its elevated HTHS. It will have an HTHS quite similar to a lot of 40 grades and will still meet the manual concerns, if that is an issue for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back