New vehicle new paint protection?

I have a new 2021 Mazda GTR which I purchased with the cash I saved by not drinking any alcohol for the past 18 years-thank you AA. For the past 20 + years I have used and liked NuFinish and it has served me well. I am especially pleased with the ease of applying and removing, the longevity and the finish. Using these three attributes, should I be looking at another protectant / wax etc. Ed

Take a look at the Turtle Wax spray line: Seal and Shine, Ice Wax, Ceramic Protection, and the new Graphene.

Honestly, the biggest bang for your buck is applying Seal and Shine first and layering with the Ice Spray Wax. They're inexpensive, can be found on Amazon and at Wally World, are extremely chemical resistant, go on SOOOOO easy, and last a good number of months. Spray products have come a long way.

PS...congrats on your sobriety!

Take a look at the Turtle Wax spray line: Seal and Shine, Ice Wax, Ceramic Protection, and the new Graphene.

Honestly, the biggest bang for your buck is applying Seal and Shine first and layering with the Ice Spray Wax. They're inexpensive, can be found on Amazon and at Wally World, are extremely chemical resistant, go on SOOOOO easy, and last a good number of months. Spray products have come a long way.

PS...congrats on your sobriety!
Eddie, congrats indeed on all 4 counts($obriety, $aving money, paying ca$h & the new car). A very nice car that mazda3.😉
Greggy, I've never heard those TW products being suggested that way, by layering one over the other. Sounds quite interesting. If I didn't already have such a large stash of detail products(purchased on sale/closeout/discontinued), I would at least entertain the thought of buying them both and trying that method.🤔

Last edited:
Any of the low end common Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramics or McGuire's Ceramics last 1 year for me in Minnesota salt. $14 to $18 and no need to worry about streaking as the high$$$ ones can do to your paint if you don't do it right.

Yeah, I hate that streaking too especially on darker color paints, which is one reason that I prefer lighter colors. Another reason is that I just prefer lighter, easier on the eyes & easier to maintain colors.

Not that I don't like to see a really sharp looking BLACK, NAVY or MAROON paint job after they've been tubbed, scrubbed & rubbed, I just don't want to perform the task...any longer!

I have enough to do with this car( linked below), I don't want to do it with our daily drivers too, Good Lord!

Last edited:
Is this a CX5?

I would definitely look at ceramic products. They will protect the finish far better than the orange bottle stuff. Go with a major brand.

Congrats on your new Mazda.

definitely give one of the new, simple to use, spray on hybrid ceramic wax options a try. Turtle Wax or the Griots 3 in 1 have both given me great results. I doubt I will ever spend time rubbing a wax or sealer on and off a car...ever again.

If you go the ceramic coating route, be sure to clay bar and make any clear coat corrections before applying the ceramic. Even new cars will have gunk on the clear coat.

Ceramic seems to be the way to go for longevity and ridiculous shine. If you go that route get it done by a professional but it won't be cheap. DIY off the shelf products and those used by pros are miles apart in quality. There is also much prep work involved.

Having said that I see nothing wrong with continuing to use NuFinish twice a year. You've used it for decades and know the pitfalls like getting it on plastics etc. It's inexpensive and effective so why change unless you have the $$ for a pro?

NuFinish is more of a cleaner & sealant. Not needed or wanted on a new car.
That's just not correct. Just because it's new doesn't mean the surface isn't contaminated. Also why would you not want to seal the paint & protect it? Every "new" car I've ever detailed, including my own, required clay and a machine polish right off the bat. Then (well before ceramics were a thing) sealant was applied. Admittedly it has been some time since I detailed professionally but contaminated paint has not changed.

Last edited:
As others have said, if you REALLY want to protect the car you need to go for a real ceramic coating, one like CQuartz Lite if you've never applied one before.

Regardless of the product, plan to use it 2-3x more often than suggested. Durability tends to be greatly exaggerated.

Congrats on your new vehicle.
I use Black Fire on my E46 and Griot's 3:1 on all the others with every wash. It takes just 10 or 12 minutes to do the entire car after washing. If you're feeling lazy, just do the horizontal surfaces - 3 or 4 minutes. If you're feeling really lazy just do the front end and mirror caps - 90 seconds.

Scott

Last edited:
I use Black Fire on my E46 and Griot's 3:1 on all the others with every wash. It takes just 10 or 12 minutes to do the entire car after washing. If you're feeling lazy, just do the horizontal surfaces - 3 or 4 minutes. If you're feeling really lazy just do the front end - 90 seconds.

Scott
Precisely my point. I do the same at every (or every other wash) - but with different products. Most waxes and sealants do not last more than a few washes, regardless of what their manufacturers suggest.

I was hopping to get some information and data that suggest something better than the NuFinish I I have been using. NuFinish lasts me over a year here as I garage my vehicle every night. I will redo my hood at about 6 months if I have nothing to do to keep me entertained. Paste or liquid for ~ $7 at Walmart and about 2 hours of effort. My vehicles look new when sold at 8 to 10 years old. Not interested in spending $$$ on a pro ceramic job or something that takes me 4 or more hours to finish. Ed

Back