Iron Decontamination And Clay Bar Treatment On A New Car Question

A friend has a new Toyota 4 Runner in transit by rail from the Canadian plant right now. I offered to help her get a good protective coating on the car that will be easy for her to maintain. We'll probably apply Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax. I have it on my Mazda CX 5 and it has performed well with just a light reapplication twice a year.

I am aware that a new car finish should be prepped first. Will just a good washing followed by a clay bar treatment be sufficient to remove any rail dust and/or other contaminants or should we spray on one of the iron decontamination products first and then clay bar ?

Micro marring is pretty much unavoidable when using any sort of clay bar.
There is micro marring anytime you wash a car-there is no such thing as a car with any age not having micro clearcoat scratches. The point being he can clay bar the car and the only people who will ever know are those like you.

A clay bar doesn't mar a car's finish if done correctly.
Depending on the softness of the paint finish, the marks can be quite substantial. I'd say 80% of the time it is a non-issue, but 20% of the time....oof.

A car's paint is usually pretty soft for the first few months after the car has been manufactured. I'd skip the clay bar and put a high quality ceramic wax on it.

There is micro marring anytime you wash a car-there is no such thing as a car with any age not having micro clearcoat scratches. The point being he can clay bar the car and the only people who will ever know are those like you.
I agree that it's very likely to be unnoticeable, even by myself (not that I have some special vision). Just my approach to working on paint. If I don't have to touch it I won't.

Reactions: CKN
I plan on doing the old "plastic sandwich bag test" on the paint before I do anything just to see how smooth the factory finish is. I did it on both my new Mazda CX 5 and Jaguar F type just after taking delivery and was surprised at the before & after results after clay barring the finish. I used Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic wax on the Mazda and Turtle Wax Graphene on the Jag and had excellent results with both products considering they are not expensive boutique items. I want my friends new car to start out with a well protected finish that will be easy for her to maintain and will look good for a long time.

The trick with the clay bar is a LOT of lubricant, a very light touch letting the clay "do the work" so to speak, and caution around sharp edges like styling creases in the body work where the clay can catch and streak.

But back to my original question, will the clay bar remove iron contaminants the same as using a spray on/hose off iron decontaminant product ? No sense spending the extra money if it would be redundant.

Reactions: hrv
I’d still use an iron remover, then clay then throw Can Coat on it.

I believe CC is one of the greatest detailing products invented.

I would use a de-iron product and skip the clay bar. It may have iron on it from the rail trip. I've used the clay bar and de-iron on many vehicles and never found anything on any of them. Hers may not have much iron since the rail cars are covered now. But I would de-iron it anyway. Begin with a dish detergent wash.

If there’s rail dust on a new car, the dealership can remove it during the prep process and they’ll be reimbursed under the new car warranty. You shouldn’t have to do that part at all.

If there’s rail dust on a new car, the dealership can remove it during the prep process and they’ll be reimbursed under the new car warranty. You shouldn’t have to do that part at all.
No way. The only thing a dealer will do is swirl up your car.

lol if you think that a dealer is going to use IronX, know what it is, or do anything but hire a kid with a rotary, dirty pad, and oily glaze.
IMG_5694.jpeg

Back