New vehicle new paint protection?

I was hopping to get some information and data that suggest something better than the NuFinish I I have been using. NuFinish lasts me over a year here as I garage my vehicle every night. I will redo my hood at about 6 months if I have nothing to do to keep me entertained. Paste or liquid for ~ $7 at Walmart and about 2 hours of effort. My vehicles look new when sold at 8 to 10 years old. Not interested in spending $$$ on a pro ceramic job or something that takes me 4 or more hours to finish. Ed
I don't think you will find any reputable (scientific) data on detailing products. The industry lacks any standardized performance spec and any data you read is either biased, anecdotal or reported by users.

Sounds like you are satisfied with the results of Nufinish, so keep using it.

I was hopping to get some information and data that suggest something better than the NuFinish I I have been using. NuFinish lasts me over a year here as I garage my vehicle every night. I will redo my hood at about 6 months if I have nothing to do to keep me entertained. Paste or liquid for ~ $7 at Walmart and about 2 hours of effort. My vehicles look new when sold at 8 to 10 years old. Not interested in spending $$$ on a pro ceramic job or something that takes me 4 or more hours to finish. Ed

Years ago, I gave up waxes and started using Nu Finish as well as it was one of the first commercially available polymer-based paint sealants. Although it had far superior durability to waxes, I found it, for my part, very difficult to remove and a heck of a lot of work to get the residue off. I found it powdered and made a real mess which I tolerated because of its performance. I later went looking for fancier alternatives such as some of the German polishes that you find on car detailing websites. They worked well, but we’re very expensive and not convenient to just pick up when I ran out since I had to order them. Much to my pleasant surprise, I found Maguiars had introduced products in the sealant category and I gave them a try. I was astounded that they would keep beading water for eight months to a year and that is under the harsh salt, snow, ice conditions we have here in southern Ontario. We have to wash our cars often to keep the salt at bay and yet water will continue to bead in spite of everything I throw at it to keep the car clean. And the best thing is, these are easy to find at retail and are surprisingly inexpensive and a really reasonable value for what you get. It comes in a compound as well as a wax. I think when the wax originally came out, they called it “ultimate polish“ but I think that might’ve been confusing to people who thought it was similar to a compound. Or, who knows, they may have all three available but I find the compound and then the wax provide remarkable value, longevity and convenience which really matters to me when I inevitably run out with about a third of the car to finish.

Attachments

• 4BCAB7AB-14E0-4072-90B0-A64F239FBF5A.jpeg
    4BCAB7AB-14E0-4072-90B0-A64F239FBF5A.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 17
A few pics from last summer showing the gloss I get. FYI, this car is 22 years old and was garages for most of its life.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    200.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0698.jpeg
    IMG_0698.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 11
I was super impressed by the Turtle Wax Shine n Seal. I put it on my 300 in July of 2019, never washed it, and was amazed at how road salt and other crud just refused to stick to it. The Meguiars though.... not working nearly as good.
CFC13036-F989-4E8D-9D63-6AFBF6E8D185.jpeg

you don't need to spend big bucks on a Professionally applied ceramic. Try the new spray on, ceramic hybrids. They take no time at all to apply and provide beautiful gloss and beading for 6-12 months. You'll never go back to the drudgery of applying nufinish (or any other traditional wax or sealant, again).

you don't need to spend big bucks on a Professionally applied ceramic. Try the new spray on, ceramic hybrids. They take no time at all to apply and provide beautiful gloss and beading for 6-12 months. You'll never go back to the drudgery of applying nufinish (or any other traditional wax or sealant, again).
Please understand that a professionally applied coating is not the same as your OTC spray "coating."

The gloss and beading may get close but the protection is not comparable.

Sort of confusing with all the "Buzz" and scientific nomenclature words to draw attention, like Hybrid, Ceramic, Nano. and so forth. I was looking at " Dmetre wax comparison tests and though some was subjective, the results were interesting. Turtle Wax did poorly, but, then TW has so many products it was difficult to tell which on.

Ok, you've convinced me to try a SPRAY ON CERAMIC coating. Which one do you use and recommend I try, keeping in mind my 82 year like an easy to apply & remove, a product that lasts and a good slick shine. Price is not an issue. Ed

Turtle Wax Hybrid Ceramic Spray coating and Griot's Garage Ceramic 3 in 1 wax. Both available in most auto parts stores and sell for $15 and $20. I have used both with excellent results. You always get the best results with a properly prepared surface (clay bar and polish if needed).

A good detailing Youtuber is Pan the Organizer and he does lots of reviews of these types of products and has many videos showing their use.

Easy on and easy off..you'll be impressed. One thing to note..the surface does not feel as slick and smooth as with a traditional wax or sealant..but the gloss and water beading will be impressive.

After 14 months of outdoor exposure, my Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray coating is holding up well (don’t mind the dirt). This spray be found at Walmart for less than $15 and was extremely easy to apply:
023DC730-3198-40AF-BE72-EF7BB8273C41.jpeg

After 14 months of outdoor exposure, my Turtle Wax Hybrid Solutions Ceramic Spray coating is holding up well (don’t mind the dirt). This spray be found at Walmart for less than $15 and was extremely easy to apply:
View attachment 44623
I need to try this stuff out.

View attachment 44623
Those beads look terrible. Clean, bare paint can bead better than this. I don't see this as any evidence of protection.

I did it. After 20+ years of NuFinish I went and purchased a spray bottle of TURTLE HYBRID CERAMIC SPRAY COATING, which according to the label will do everything for my vehicles finish plus maybe even do my income tax. We will see. I may even do one fender with the Ceramic and the other with NuFinish for comparison. Ed

There are quite a few fairly durable spray waxes these days. I gravitate to the ones that have “ceramic” or “nano” in their names. Preferably both. Some fluorescent coloring on the bottle is also helpful.

I was able to do the truck in about 10 minutes yesterday. It’s garaged most of the time but I fully expect the coating to last until May sometime. If not I’ll have to spend another 10-15 minutes. (I do use a rinseless wash so maybe that has something to do with the apparent durability)

I used Optimum Spray Wax. Like Nufinish, It’s a slightly older product. They missed the boat on the “Nano-Ceramic” marketing movement. It works well enough in my cool climate. It does seem to attract dust a bit and to be vulnerable to over application. YMMV.

Last edited:
Back