New toy: 2020 Mustang GT A10

Picked this up on Monday. Had to travel a few hundred miles to get a nearly $7k off list deal.

This is a base-base GT. 18" wheels and the smaller brakes, plain cloth interior. e.g. the lightest, which these days is like 3750lbs. My bought new '89 LX 5.0 Hatch was around 3200.

Last fun car was '16 Challenger Scat Pack. This time I wanted the much more developed aftermarket support that the Mustang has. This car is a high 11s in the 1/4 bone stock. Tuning, headers, exhaust, etc can take you fairly easy into the low 11s. Running E85 is very popular and the '18+ 5.0 Coyote motors have a dual fuel system has plenty of headroom for it. If you do most of the bolt-ons and do enough to get a substantial drag race launch, your in the 10s.

I'm intending to be a bit more balanced. Full exhaust, tune, Steeda suspension bits that will benefit both handling and straight line traction. The IRS, while great for handling, has issues with hard launches. The aftermarket can improve it markedly.

I'm going to stay with 18" wheels and am going with wheels/tires that are both wider and save approx. 35 total pounds of rotating weight.

I loved the Challenger's street brawler and legacy authentic looks and super factory exhaust note.

I think the Mustang has more purely aesthitcally pleasing lines, especially the fastback quarter view. They've departed from the historical throwback looks for the better, I think. The exhaust note is a bit too tame; base car has non-active exhaust.

62543814492--D3428DED-FC6F-44C1-92AA-4667836E37D1.JPG
62543825821--C39EC634-5854-4678-8083-383E780B0513.JPG

I love it! I went to drive and tried to negotiate a similar mustang. Their advertised discount required unfavorable everything so we could not make a deal. Great car though, and the A10 is the way to go on the Mustang over the chinese manual.

Thanks all. I was thrilled with the deal at under $32k before tax/tags. The only 'hoop' to jump through was taking a small Ford Motor loan to get a $1500 rebate, which can be repaid at will. Several of the other deals that seemed as good were as you describe - cheating about whether the 'freight' was included and the like.

Nice ride! High 11-second quarter mile is insane for a factory car at this price.

My cousin has an '19 GT with the premium package that gives you the bigger brakes and WHOA that thing stops. Too touchy/grabby, IMO. Any brake upgrades in your future? I've never driven one with the standard GT brakes, but I suspect they're plenty good enough.

For now, stock brakes are it, except for lightweight 2-piece Baer rotors. More rotational weight savings, about 15lbs total. If I turn to road courses, I will revisit. No serious braking done yet !

I was a little afraid the color was too light but I love it now. It has a super heavy metallic in it.

It's the 10-speed auto. I would love to have a 6-speed ride too but I'd want that more in say a Cayman for a total balance and control package. For this ride, the 10spd is sooo much faster, it was my only choice. And I was also aware of the questionable quality manual trans.

Nice Mustang. These cars can easily run high 11’s with basic mods, E85 and tune. 👍

Does your car have the 301A option ?

Last edited:
Back