2021 Mustang GT

I'm considering buying a new Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote and manual transmission. I've spent considerable time researching the infamous "typewriter" tick (or as some call it the bbq tick) through various mustang forums. Some owners dismiss the tick...Ford states it is normal...and live with it. Others are upset with the noise the engine makes...and regret their decision in buying the vehicle. I know this same engine is in a lot of F-150 pickup trucks as well. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of owners describing the tick....some engines sound worse than others. Some owners say the engine quiets down with a change in oil viscosity...going from 5W20 to 5W30. Others say you need to add various additives that supposedly quiet the tick as well (Ceratec?). Does anyone have real world experience with a late model Coyote engine that has the tick...something in the 2019, 2020, or 2021 model year? Does the noise bother you...did you bring your vehicle to the dealer to document the noise just to have a record of it? Do you use the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 oil in it or have you changed to something else during your warranty period?

There is a lot of speculation of where the noise originates from...some say connecting rod side clearance, some say piston slap, etc. Anyone have any experience with having one of these engines apart and seeing what is wrong?

I'm also considering the Challenger / Charger Scat Pack with the 6.4 engine...which also has ticking issues with age. Thoughts?

I'm considering buying a new Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote and manual transmission. I've spent considerable time researching the infamous "typewriter" tick (or as some call it the bbq tick) through various mustang forums. Some owners dismiss the tick...Ford states it is normal...and live with it. Others are upset with the noise the engine makes...and regret their decision in buying the vehicle. I know this same engine is in a lot of F-150 pickup trucks as well. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of owners describing the tick....some engines sound worse than others. Some owners say the engine quiets down with a change in oil viscosity...going from 5W20 to 5W30. Others say you need to add various additives that supposedly quiet the tick as well (Ceratec?). Does anyone have real world experience with a late model Coyote engine that has the tick...something in the 2019, 2020, or 2021 model year? Does the noise bother you...did you bring your vehicle to the dealer to document the noise just to have a record of it? Do you use the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 oil in it or have you changed to something else during your warranty period?

There is a lot of speculation of where the noise originates from...some say connecting rod side clearance, some say piston slap, etc. Anyone have any experience with having one of these engines apart and seeing what is wrong?

I'm also considering the Challenger / Charger Scat Pack with the 6.4 engine...which also has ticking issues with age. Thoughts?

I wouldn't worry about it ticking. My CX5 turbo has injector noises that some people on the forums worry about, and I wondered what they were at first, but if it truly is a non-issue...cars make a lot of noises...LS1's had piston slap, and yet I've seen 100K+ mile engines torn down and the cross-hash on the cylinder wall is still clean and pretty. That slap didn't hurt a thing.

I personally hate Chrysler. I think they make cheap junk. That said, the transmission and engine in the Charger/Challenger/SRT line of vehicles is pretty solid. My Jeep fell apart though, and was a 2010. It literally just rotted. This makes me question EVERYTHING Chrysler, kindof how some people still worry that Mazda might rust. Mazda identified the issue and made changes. I don't know if Chrysler has identified their suppliers and made changes, but forum posts and talking to people who own them indicate to me that they have not. Bushings still rot, water pumps still leak, that sort of thing. Mine was only 4 years old when the front LCA bushings rotted out so bad the axles hit the struts on hard shifts. Then Chrysler did the N23 recall and ruined the PCM in my vehicle and was unable to fix it. I literally had to buy one from Canada to drop in that had not had the N23 recall done, and warn the dealership NOT TO TOUCH THE OBDII!!!!!. I literally just hate everything about Chrysler, and to whit, they didn't have anything to do with that ZF8 transmission they use except the bungled tuning thereof that finally is sorted. HEMI engines are worse than GM engines for power/BSFC. The list goes on...but the ZF8 and derivatives and the HEMI in the FCA products is solid, I grant it that. The rest of the car? Well, all my friends got out of them and moved on.

I don't have much good to say about Ford, either, really, but I haven't owned one in decades.

That said...what do you want? The mustang is a pony car trying to be a sports car, and the challenger/charger are two different vehicles, one is a cruiser, one is a muscle car. What are you hoping to achieve, as these are 3 different vehicles.

I wouldn't worry about it ticking. My CX5 turbo has injector noises that some people on the forums worry about, and I wondered what they were at first, but if it truly is a non-issue...cars make a lot of noises...LS1's had piston slap, and yet I've seen 100K+ mile engines torn down and the cross-hash on the cylinder wall is still clean and pretty. That slap didn't hurt a thing.

I personally hate Chrysler. I think they make cheap junk. That said, the transmission and engine in the Charger/Challenger/SRT line of vehicles is pretty solid. My Jeep fell apart though, and was a 2010. It literally just rotted. This makes me question EVERYTHING Chrysler, kindof how some people still worry that Mazda might rust. Mazda identified the issue and made changes. I don't know if Chrysler has identified their suppliers and made changes, but forum posts and talking to people who own them indicate to me that they have not. Bushings still rot, water pumps still leak, that sort of thing. Mine was only 4 years old when the front LCA bushings rotted out so bad the axles hit the struts on hard shifts. Then Chrysler did the N23 recall and ruined the PCM in my vehicle and was unable to fix it. I literally had to buy one from Canada to drop in that had not had the N23 recall done, and warn the dealership NOT TO TOUCH THE OBDII!!!!!. I literally just hate everything about Chrysler, and to whit, they didn't have anything to do with that ZF8 transmission they use except the bungled tuning thereof that finally is sorted. HEMI engines are worse than GM engines for power/BSFC. The list goes on...but the ZF8 and derivatives and the HEMI in the FCA products is solid, I grant it that. The rest of the car? Well, all my friends got out of them and moved on.

I don't have much good to say about Ford, either, really, but I haven't owned one in decades.
hes
That said...what do you want? The mustang is a pony car trying to be a sports car, and the challenger/charger are two different vehicles, one is a cruiser, one is a muscle car. What are you hoping to achieve, as these are 3 different vehicles.
Looking for what is most fun to drive as it would be a 2nd car to my Honda Accord....I believe the Mustang wins that contest. It is nimble and certainly does not feel as cumbersome as the Challenger. The Challenger is a much bigger car inside...a back seat that can actually be used. I drove the Scat Pack Challenger and the visibility isn't as good as the Mustang or Charger. I found the Scat Pack drive train to be a bit clunky as well but it was brand new with 13 miles on it. The Charger would be my choice if I had to carry passengers on a regular basis.

I'm looking for something that is not going have ongoing issues maintenance or problems.

Looking for what is most fun to drive as it would be a 2nd car to my Honda Accord....I believe the Mustang wins that contest. It is nimble and certainly does not feel as cumbersome as the Challenger. The Challenger is a much bigger car inside...a back seat that can actually be used. I drove the Scat Pack Challenger and the visibility isn't as good as the Mustang or Charger. I found the Scat Pack drive train to be a bit clunky as well but it was brand new with 13 miles on it. The Charger would be my choice if I had to carry passengers on a regular basis.

I'm looking for something that is not going have ongoing issues maintenance or problems.
Stay tuned for the 400z. I'd give it a look. Also, a used c5 or c6 z06 is an animal.

Not a Coyote but managed a farm that had a 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 that had a light ticking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (valvetrain/DI noise), that turned into a light knocking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (piston slap, "It's a common issue in EcoBoosts"), that turned into rod knock on two cylinders and deep scoring in those same cylinders. Ford said it was due to abuse and refused warranty repair. They ended up buying the truck back after a kindly worded letter from a lawyer.

Just an example of the level of customer service you can expect from Ford.

I found the Scat Pack drive train to be a bit clunky as well but it was brand new with 13 miles on it.
Based on my experience with the Charger in my sig, that clunky feeling does not go away with age/miles. The transmission likes to take its sweet time to shift from D to R and vice versa, and in general all upshifts/downshifts feel sloppy and lethargic, even in sport mode. That's compared to BMW and Audi vehicles using the same ZF8 trans.

I had a RT Challenger and it was very nice but drove like a 300 floaty boat...

Not a Coyote but managed a farm that had a 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 that had a light ticking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (valvetrain/DI noise), that turned into a light knocking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (piston slap, "It's a common issue in EcoBoosts"), that turned into rod knock on two cylinders and deep scoring in those same cylinders. Ford said it was due to abuse and refused warranty repair. They ended up buying the truck back after a kindly worded letter from a lawyer.

Just an example of the level of customer service you can expect from Ford.
That is exactly my fear...having to document all the mechanical noises emanating from the engine to keep your butt covered!!

The Camaro 6.2 liter 6 speed manual is better in terms of shift quality and low end grunt. Up to you if you can deal with the lower visibility. If driving it daily or a lot i would get the mustang and the automatic. Fords chinese made manual is just not as good, as much as i like the rest of the package.

I recently bought a clearance 2020 GT with performance pack 1, 3.55 gears, Auto trans and 301A drag pack option.
Great car for the money. I’m using a 50/50 mix of Rotella T5 with any brand syn 10w30 and no ticks. I added a catch can at only 50 miles and it does help reduce oil getting into intake manifold.

Even if it does tick in the future I wouldn’t worry. This 10 speed auto trans is simply AMAZING how fast it shifts. Same trans in Camaro SS but software programming is different due to torque curves. Ford has lots of problems with their manual transmission in Mustangs.

Not my car in photo, but mine looks identical. You need the 301A option. 👍
Hot Rod magazine tested same car and it ran 11.83 at almost 120 in the quarter mile.

I bought a full size spare wheel / tire that will clear the Brembo brakes.

CD60B5C2-5B04-4123-AE2E-9758BAC51CFD.jpeg

Last edited:
I posted this before but cars are really powerful these days .Going to the drag races I doubt there aren't any of performance cars that take longer than 12 seconds to do the 1/4 mile

I wholeheartedly approve of this post. I was literally just about to say "Uhhhh... go check out a modern WRX or STi..."
Pretty sure they're both "only" as fast as V6 Camry these days. My old WRX was a real dog.
My turbo CX5 is about like a WRX, lol! Some tests show it faster, some slower. Personal experience is that it may be a hair faster.

The Camaro 6.2 liter 6 speed manual is better in terms of shift quality and low end grunt. Up to you if you can deal with the lower visibility. If driving it daily or a lot i would get the mustang and the automatic. Fords chinese made manual is just not as good, as much as i like the rest of the package.
My brother worked for GM for 30+ years....told me to get the Camaro...pretty bulletproof drive train...and comes with the Tremec. Visibility is pretty bad...sat in one...thought I was in a coffin.

My brother worked for GM for 30+ years....told me to get the Camaro...pretty bulletproof drive train...and comes with the Tremec. Visibility is pretty bad...sat in one...thought I was in a coffin.

I find the Camaro visibility just fine... Its a bit of a shock when test driving, but within a few minutes or hours you don't notice.

I find it no different than driving the Mazda 3 or Camry I have as well. I have the 2SS package that adds the amazing rear view camera (not just backup) plus blindspot monitors and such. It really is no issue for me, at least, knowing what or who is around me.

Best cockpit of the muscle car bunch, IMO. And engine/handling, too. (Was not biased at all for brand or car test driving and picking the absolute best option). The winner was a very clear choice for what I personally like!

Back