2021 Mustang GT

Just a thought, the manual transmission on the GT is still the MT82 Chinese unit. While the Chinese have promised to build it better, the results are not so great. I live near PBIR (racetrack) and the latest Mustang GT's constantly miss shifts (called 3rd gear lock-out) on the drag strip. It's not driver error, it's a low quality transmission.

The Mach-1 has (I believe) the Tremec that was installed in the GT350. That transmission is EPIC good.

As far as the noise, it may be a piston slap issue, or a phaser issue. Or some combination. In any case, it does not seem to hurt reliability. The more serious issue was a few engines experienced excessive oil use, and that seems to have been solved.

As always, choose a quality oil and change it frequently.

Is the tick related to the later coyote engines only? I thought they 2015-16 were solid.
All Coyotes (Gen 1 thru Gen 3) can have the BBQ tick, 2011 to 2021. The 3rd Gen Coyote (2018+) also can have the "2000-2200 RPM rattle". Not all have these noises, so seems to be a manufacturing tolorance issue and not a design issue (unless drawing tolorances are too loose and cause tolorance stack-up).

I have an 18 w/ 5.0 and it makes the noise and I'll live with it until it breaks. After countless hours of researching I have concluded its NOT normal and the noise everyone hears is caused by too much clearance in the rod journals. Ford will not own up to it either. I feel one day in the far future it will get worse and will eventually have to pull the oil pan and replace connecting rod bearings. I still feel my choice was good because of what my other options were. I dont want an ecoboost. I will never own another GM product. The Dodge is likely to have a cam failure. Toyota will use so much fuel I could probably buy a used 5.0 with my fuel savings on the ford, plus, you cant get a toyota optioned like my Ford.
Taking delivery of a gen 3 coyote is gamble, some tick and some dont. Either way, you probably wont have to address it for many years.

I have a 17 GT I bought new. I boosted it at 15,000 miles. Car has 23,000 miles now and it’s been fantastic. The tick is common and NOTHING worry about. Mine never ticked that I could tell on Pennzoil conventional 5w20. I moved to Pennzoil platinum 5w30 for awhile and still no tick. I never heard tick until I switched to Amsoil 5w50 after getting boost.

I do believe the MT82 issues on the internet are blown out of proportion. My car makes 611 Wheel Horsepower. I don’t launch it but I beat it hard on mountain runs and I have done lots of roll racing. I bang gears at 7700rpm and it doesn’t complain. Still on stock clutch too.
Great car. Would buy again.

I bought my 2014 Mustang GT new and it currently has 33,000 miles on it with no tick or oil consumption issues. I've always used 5W-20 Motorcraft blend and the FL500s Motorcraft filter. I have the automatic in mine and it's been a solid transmission that shifts great.

I'm typically a GM person but I just couldn't get past the closed in feeling of the Camaro SS and the high door sills. I also wanted an automatic because of a bad left knee and I didn't want cylinder deactivation which the Camaro had. I also don't care for the looks of the current Camaro's so that was a negative as well. The engine and tranny felt very solid though.

A more rewarding sports car would likely be the Mazda Miata Club Sport with the LS diff.

No place to really unleash the Mustang- so it wont be rewarding.

If you have some more money the Alfa 4c would be the next recommendation.

BTW the 6.2 Chevy V8 is a MUCH better engine with more 2 valve midrange punch.

Automatic = Blechh.

Last edited:
A more rewarding sports car would likely be the Mazda Miata Club Sport with the LS diff.

Automatic = Blechh.

It’s a much better engine yet if you decide to boost it, it will be on the ragged edge if you ask it to make 600 RWHP.

A gen 2 and gen 3 coyote can make a reliable 700 RWHP and not even think about it. LT1’s and even the C8 LT2 need Rods and pistons before you can think about any real boost.
The 6.2 does have better stock low end torque though.

It’s a much better engine yet if you decide to boost it, it will be on the ragged edge if you ask it to make 600 RWHP.

A gen 2 and gen 3 coyote can make a reliable 700 RWHP and not even think about it. LT1’s and even the C8 LT2 need Rods and pistons before you can think about any real boost.
The 6.2 does have better stock low end torque though.
Over 300 HP Doesn't matter unless you are racing. Can't use that power. The joy or driving is more than power and too much power makes you nauseous and gives you a headache. BTDT.

Over 300 HP Doesn't matter unless you are racing. Can't use that power. The joy or driving is more than power and too much power makes you nauseous and gives you a headache. BTDT.
You can absolutely use the power when not racing. You are right there is more to a car than just power but people most definitely buy them with power being a big part of the equation. The aftermarket is big for both cars. The LT1 is a more fragile engine is all I’m saying. The 6th gen Camaro overall is a great car though.

I have a 17 GT I bought new. I boosted it at 15,000 miles. Car has 23,000 miles now and it’s been fantastic. The tick is common and NOTHING worry about. Mine never ticked that I could tell on Pennzoil conventional 5w20. I moved to Pennzoil platinum 5w30 for awhile and still no tick. I never heard tick until I switched to Amsoil 5w50 after getting boost.

I do believe the MT82 issues on the internet are blown out of proportion. My car makes 611 Wheel Horsepower. I don’t launch it but I beat it hard on mountain runs and I have done lots of roll racing. I bang gears at 7700rpm and it doesn’t complain. Still on stock clutch too.
Great car. Would buy again.

What boosted setup do you have ?

How much PSI of boost ?

Coyotes on boost are crazy fast.

What boosted setup do you have ?

How much PSI of boost ?

Coyotes on boost are crazy fast.
Mine is pretty mild compared to some of the Yotes out there.

I have a VMP Gen2r blower. Running 9 psi with the 85MM pulley.
Twin 60MM Throttle body.
JLT 125MM air intake.
VMP fuel rails W / 56lb injectors
VMP Fuel pump booster
VMP triple pass heat exchanger
VMP tuned on 93

Mine is pretty mild compared to some of the Yotes out there.

I have a VMP Gen2r blower. Running 9 psi with the 85MM pulley.
Twin 60MM Throttle body.
JLT 125MM air intake.
VMP fuel rails W / 56lb injectors
VMP Fuel pump booster
VMP triple pass heat exchanger
VMP tuned on 93

Boost is fun! Haven't driven my boosted pony in awhile,the car scene was better years ago.

IMG_20210418_213331312.jpg

Automatic = Blechh.
The GM engine is not better and I unleash my motor merging on I-95 sometimes lol. The 10 speed auto is a good match for me as I'm a geezer now, drove truck for over 25 years and I'm not shifting gears on my own time. I "raced" a Miata on the desolate back roads of WV and it handled really well but I caught up fairly easily every time once the road got straight.

Back