2021 Mustang GT

I live in Cleveland and surprisingly find plenty of places to 'unleash' the 21' SS with the 6.2L V8. You don't need to do 0-60 or 0-100 pulls to enjoy all that HP and torque. Having so much power regardless of whatever speed you are doing is just so fun/refreshing. If doing 50 and need to get around some people to make a merge or off-ramp, flooring it will pull up to 70-80mph in no time at all. In my Mazda 3 or Camry, you are waiting a few seconds at least and feels insanely lethargic compared.

Hell, even a firm acceleration from a stop sign up to 35mph can be a fun time, as quick as it is.

Letting it rip on on-ramps is a go-to, obviously. I have quite a few short ones around me, including one specific one that follows a 270-degree turn and a very short 'runway' before you need to join the often busy traffic (a few hundred feet if that? it's really short). So that's always a fun one.

But as long as nobody is in front of me, you know that pedal is to the floor on any on-ramp as long as the car is up to temp and the engine is ready for it!

The 455HP/Torque of the 6.2L is just right for me, though. It's more power than I actually NEED, but it makes it so insanely fun to drive.

Whether it's a V8 Camaro, Mustang or Challenger... All amazing options and the best vehicles on the road for ultimate 'fun' factor depending on styling, feel and interior preferences. Especially in the sea of crossovers, SUV's and trucks. EV's obviously can meet/exceed the torque and 0-60 times, but so much more to it than just the power. It's about having that machine come to life with the roar of the exhaust, vibrations, etc... Nothing better!

This is my wife’s 2020 Mustang GT that I mentioned in a previous post.

A15EA245-7619-4E50-AB7A-0180ABCB887F.png

I really like the Mach 1 with the Tremec manual, but I'll probably still end up with a used M2 Comp with 3 pedals...

I'd be interested in a Mustang GT with a manual transmission but I keep hearing stories about its manual being trash. Some of the upscale Mustangs I believe have a Tremec transmission that is said to be much better.

Would a Tremec manual transmission swap straight across into a GT? That might be the solution.

I'd be interested in a Mustang GT with a manual transmission but I keep hearing stories about its manual being trash. Some of the upscale Mustangs I believe have a Tremec transmission that is said to be much better.

Would a Tremec manual transmission swap straight across into a GT? That might be the solution.
I think most of the guys who have issues with the MT-82 are ones who beat the crap out of their cars and are hard on the transmission. Changing the oil to a good aftermarket oil also helps it shift better for most guys.

Ive owned all sorts of engines, from the 2.5 turbo in my cx5, to the 7000rpm 427 in my z06. Some engines just make noise man. If there is not a proven deficiency or suspected one with evidence, especially with high mileage examples running fine, being available to observe,get over it.

Not a Coyote but managed a farm that had a 3.5 EcoBoost F-150 that had a light ticking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (valvetrain/DI noise), that turned into a light knocking that Ford said was normal repeatedly (piston slap, "It's a common issue in EcoBoosts"), that turned into rod knock on two cylinders and deep scoring in those same cylinders. Ford said it was due to abuse and refused warranty repair. They ended up buying the truck back after a kindly worded letter from a lawyer.

Just an example of the level of customer service you can expect from Ford.

Where is Mike Rowe when you need him?

I looked at a Mustang before I got my Ecosport. It was a rare beast in the middle of winter.
for sale in the mid 30's. Almost affordable.
Base GT with active exhaust and 5 speed row it yourself.
The apparent quality of the car was well below average and pretty cheap all around.
Terrible heavy metalflake paint very blotchy; that ugly new nose and grill - Just didnt like it.
And the shiny black plastic between the taillight is just "China Walmart" horrid cheap.

The shifter did "snick- snick" better than a LT-1 i was looking at, the LT-1 felt like
it was stuck in a bowl of oil, cherrios and legos.

But the overall impression of build, fit and finish was much better on the camaro.
But they have all seemed to disappear. did GM discontinue them as threatened?

I looked at a Mustang before I got my Ecosport. It was a rare beast in the middle of winter.
for sale in the mid 30's. Almost affordable.
Base GT with active exhaust and 5 speed row it yourself.
The apparent quality of the car was well below average and pretty cheap all around.
Terrible heavy metalflake paint very blotchy; that ugly new nose and grill - Just didnt like it.
And the shiny black plastic between the taillight is just "China Walmart" horrid cheap.

The shifter did "snick- snick" better than a LT-1 i was looking at, the LT-1 felt like
it was stuck in a bowl of oil, cherrios and legos.

But the overall impression of build, fit and finish was much better on the camaro.
But they have all seemed to disappear. did GM discontinue them as threatened?
Sounds like a ripoff for a what, 10 year old mustang.

I was searching various other forums and came upon this UOA of the factory fill of a 2020 Mustang GT that was done this February. The oil analysis was done by Blackstone. Is there any off the shelf oils that have a similar additive package....with respect to the molybdenum and boron levels? Most owners state that the engine ticking / noise doesn't usually start until right after the first oil change. Many say there is something in the factory fill that keeps the engine quiet initially. Thoughts!
I think I addressed this in the original thread that it's likely assembly lube in conjunction with standard MCSB.

Sounds like a ripoff for a what, 10 year old mustang.
I wasn't sure what you were getting at, then I read i wrote "5 speed".

Well, I meant 6 speed.

It's hard for us old guys.
First it was 3 on the tree
then the fancy 4 Speed on the floor for two decades.
Then the 5 speed in the mid 80's for three decades

Now 6 speed.

brain is stuck at 5 :)
p.s. I do know that CD and DVD are toast old tech though.
CD was toast when it came out; DAT was a MUCH preferred digital medium.

• Haha
Reactions: Ws6
The Camaro 6.2 liter 6 speed manual is better in terms of shift quality and low end grunt. Up to you if you can deal with the lower visibility. If driving it daily or a lot i would get the mustang and the automatic. Fords chinese made manual is just not as good, as much as i like the rest of the package.
If I was in the market for a pony car, it would be the LT1 Camaro. Most bang for the buck in new vehicles. Of course getting one is another story, good luck...

I'm considering buying a new Mustang GT with the 5.0 Coyote and manual transmission. I've spent considerable time researching the infamous "typewriter" tick (or as some call it the bbq tick) through various mustang forums. Some owners dismiss the tick...Ford states it is normal...and live with it. Others are upset with the noise the engine makes...and regret their decision in buying the vehicle. I know this same engine is in a lot of F-150 pickup trucks as well. I've watched a lot of you tube videos of owners describing the tick....some engines sound worse than others. Some owners say the engine quiets down with a change in oil viscosity...going from 5W20 to 5W30. Others say you need to add various additives that supposedly quiet the tick as well (Ceratec?). Does anyone have real world experience with a late model Coyote engine that has the tick...something in the 2019, 2020, or 2021 model year? Does the noise bother you...did you bring your vehicle to the dealer to document the noise just to have a record of it? Do you use the recommended Motorcraft synthetic blend 5W20 oil in it or have you changed to something else during your warranty period?

There is a lot of speculation of where the noise originates from...some say connecting rod side clearance, some say piston slap, etc. Anyone have any experience with having one of these engines apart and seeing what is wrong?

I'm also considering the Challenger / Charger Scat Pack with the 6.4 engine...which also has ticking issues with age. Thoughts?
It's proven to be a very powerful, highly dependable engine! Lots of new vehicles have a tick. My friends '19 BMW M3 does matter of fact. I wouldn't hesitate to get one. Not a bit. Break-in that glorious motor easy 1st 1000mis & change the oil out to a real good *full synthetic* like Pennzoil Ultra Platinum or Castrol Edge (or whatever you like) w/ Motorcraft filters ..& don't worry a bit I say.

If I was in the market for a pony car, it would be the LT1 Camaro. Most bang for the buck in new vehicles. Of course getting one is another story, good luck...
Well that's certainly a matter of opinion! Both are excellent for sure. I'd go w/the Mustang myself tho.

I own a charger hellcat and my friend owns a 19’ mustang GT 6 speed that we put a roush supercharger on. We both drag race these cars quite often. His car has the tick. His car is a absolute blast on the street. I’m around a half second faster at the strip due to his being a manual and me having far more experience racing. These cars could not be anymore different but we both love them. It all depends on what you want to do with the car. No right or wrong answer either way. I have also owned a charger scat pack and it was a solid car that lived at the track.

Back