New Pennzoil Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
08032012254.jpg

Saw this Pennzoil ad in new Car and Driver magazine. Looks like the only way to get a clean engine is to go with Pennzoil lol.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
I wander what the rest of the industry will do against Pennzoil?

They need to leverage a strength or come up with a strategy first. So far, they haven't really done anything except to say me too, but no real solid claims.

This has been on their website for a while now. I'm curious how the measure to make those claims. How clean is a clean piston?

Quote:
I wander what the rest of the industry will do against Pennzoil?

Maybe put more steak on the plate than the sizzle they flog now.
Wait. Unless they use GTL and get NOAK in the 5% range there isn't a whole lot they can do is there.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
This has been on their website for a while now. I'm curious how the measure to make those claims. How clean is a clean piston?

They use the industry CRC merit system for WPD after Sequence IIIG. Clean pistons (ring grooves/lands) are very important to engine efficiency and durability.

I guess my Supertech dino is eating away at my pistons.

I do like to use a really good synthetic when I can get it on sale, but otherwise all of the claims in the world will not sway me to buy something that will not benefit my non-high performance autos.

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
I guess my Supertech dino is eating away at my pistons.

I do like to use a really good synthetic when I can get it on sale, but otherwise all of the claims in the world will not sway me to buy something that will not benefit my non-high performance autos.

No it is not eating away at your pistons. If it did Supertech would produce cleaner pistons than Syntec.

Following the spark plug trend, I think they can only by topped by new Mobil I [Iridium]. See how that works on a couple levels? I expect royalties from Mobil.

What ?...that's regurgitated verbiage from 40 years ago. It would be one thing if there was an epidemic of "dirty" pistons causing engine failures or performance issues within the automotive industry, but there isn't.

I suppose that 98% of those that even bother to read that ad will think they've learned something useful. Whether it will sell Pennzoil products is another story - unfortunately it might.

Shouldn't BITOG have a sub-forum for ridiculous, laughable print and electronic media ads and commercials ?

Keith

Originally Posted By: KB2008X
I suppose that 98% of those that even bother to read that ad will think they've learned something useful. Whether it will sell Pennzoil products is another story - unfortunately it might.

Remember that many years ago, Pennzoil was the target of all kinds of stories about sludging engines, and those stories are still out there. Castrol experienced its share of that phenomenon, too. It's no surprise that the marketing is geared towards addressing that matter.

I can't think of any oil companies that aren't guilty of at least one instance of ridiculous marketing. Heck, if an oil company did it only once, they'd be saints.

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Mobil is quietly working on it new product for release 4Q2012...

MOBIL 2!

LOL - "I'd like for you to meet my number 2 oil, its name curiously enough is.....number 2!"

Originally Posted By: Slick17601
Mobil is quietly working on it new product for release 4Q2012...

MOBIL 2!

Hey' we already have Mobil2. That is what we call Mobil1 after it has been ran for 10K miles and then recycled.
smile.gif

I believe the ad because they make quantitative claims and those are the easiest for the competitors to counterattack, which has not happened yet. Also, Ultra and Platinum have relatively large amounts of detergents in them, compared to the competitors. That's not proof that the ad is accurate but it's enough for me to believe it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back