Pennzoil Gold Semi-Synthetic

Although I use full synthetic I came across this info sheet on Pennzoil Gold Semi-Synthetic. It meets SP and Dexos 1 Gen 3. Enjoy. Also, I’m not sure what ad is showing on your screen but mine happens to be a Pennzoil coffee kit deal from Advance Auto. LOL.

3606CF31-12CF-477B-9E3C-7D483621ECB7.png

Last edited:
The website only shows a 6 gal bay box on the product page, I think it may be a bulk only product, I haven't seen it retail since all the major retailers clearanced out the D1G2 version of it, it's probably mostly synthetic to the point that it makes no sense to sell it retail because they'd have to sell it at a price point very close to the price point of synthetic that it doesn't make much sense, but shops buying bulk will still buy it if it saves them a little money.

At a time when mineral base oil was still the best selling product by a wide margin, Pennzoil Gold syn blend was mostly sold to installers who wanted a Dexos licensed oil able to be sold at a lower price than full synthetic. I sold a lot of the six gallon bag-in-a-box to garages. That size package suited small and medium sized shops well. I sold a few drums to lube centers, but never any bulk. Our distribution center didn't stock bulk, but it probably could have been had special order in a 330 gallon tote tank. I may have sold a few quarts, but don't remember any of my customers who regularly stocked it.
It's probably Pennzoil's lowest price Dexos, so possibly there's still demand for it in the installer market.

Yet their Pennzoil Full Synthetic is not Dexos approved. SOPUS’ tiers of products confuse me. I used the Pennzoil Gold when it was available at Walmart.
Say what! I have a 5qt jug of Pennz Platinum 5w30 with the Dexos Gen3 logo.

Yet their Pennzoil Full Synthetic is not Dexos approved. SOPUS’ tiers of products confuse me. I used the Pennzoil Gold when it was available at Walmart.
Walmart still lists Gold on their site, ready to ship. However the price is a little high for my taste.

Screenshot_20231116-175150_Opera.jpg

Say what! I have a 5qt jug of Pennz Platinum 5w30 with the Dexos Gen3 logo.
Yes the Platinum is Dexos approved. I was referring to the black label Pennzoil Full Synthetic. At Menards it often cheaper than Supertech is at Walmart. At my local Walmart it tends to be just slightly more expensive than Supertech or Quaker State Full Synthetic.

Question regarding Pennzoil Gold 5w30

Have used Pennzoil Gold 5w30 since introduction in my 2014 Chevy 2.4L engine and 2006 Chevy 2.2L engine. Recently there has been no availability. Pennzoil site now shows 6 gallon box and quarts, but no 5 quart containers. Noted the current picture for the quarts on Pennzoil’s site no longer has the Dexos 1 Gen 3 markings on the bottle. Have written Pennzoil regarding this issue and have received no response. Am I to assume the product has changed and no longer meets the requirements for Dexos licensing.

Have used Pennzoil since high school (was around $8.00 for a 24 quart can case of 30HD) and Pennzoil 120 Ashless (60 weight) in aircraft many years ago (switched to Aeroshell when Pennzoil was no longer available). Always considered Pennzoil a quality product and have never experienced wear issues or oil failure. I prefer a synthetic blend and wasn’t planning a switch to full synthetic. The Synthetic blend provides the best of both worlds along with the ability to suspend heavy contaminants the same as the straight mineral oil, an advantage lost with full synthetic oil, at least in aircraft engines. Would welcome any insights regarding the Pennzoil Gold issue.

Question regarding Pennzoil Gold 5w30

Have used Pennzoil Gold 5w30 since introduction in my 2014 Chevy 2.4L engine and 2006 Chevy 2.2L engine. Recently there has been no availability. Pennzoil site now shows 6 gallon box and quarts, but no 5 quart containers. Noted the current picture for the quarts on Pennzoil’s site no longer has the Dexos 1 Gen 3 markings on the bottle. Have written Pennzoil regarding this issue and have received no response. Am I to assume the product has changed and no longer meets the requirements for Dexos licensing.

Have used Pennzoil since high school (was around $8.00 for a 24 quart can case of 30HD) and Pennzoil 120 Ashless (60 weight) in aircraft many years ago (switched to Aeroshell when Pennzoil was no longer available). Always considered Pennzoil a quality product and have never experienced wear issues or oil failure. I prefer a synthetic blend and wasn’t planning a switch to full synthetic. The Synthetic blend provides the best of both worlds along with the ability to suspend heavy contaminants the same as the straight mineral oil, an advantage lost with full synthetic oil, at least in aircraft engines. Would welcome any insights regarding the Pennzoil Gold issue.
Regular Pennzoil yellow bottle and red label High Mileage are both blends now. Home Depot carries both of them around me for great prices, much cheaper than the autoparts stores.

Not true here at all.

Guess I am asking the wrong questions. Have been using a 50-50 mixture of mineral and synthetic oil since the mid-1970’s. Using 100% synthetic during the leaded fuel days was a death sentence to the engine within 25,000 miles as the byproduct of combustion from the tetra ethyl lead would glue rings to pistons, settle out, and create a grey paste. Straight mineral oil or a synthetic blend would encapsulate the lead by product and other heavy contaminants. Started using Pennzoil Gold as it was a 50-50 mixture, met GM’s Dexos 1, and met both anti-corrosive and cleanliness requirements. If Pennzoil Gold no longer meets this requirement, will go back to blending my own oil. The question was does Pennzoil Gold still meet the requirements as their website now shows quarts without the Dexos 1 Gen 3 markings.

Guess there have been changes. New bottle on Pennzoil website no longer shows Dexos approval.
2E7D19B5-BC96-42A2-AD4D-3C65D84FB532.jpeg

Guess there have been changes. New bottle on Pennzoil website no longer shows Dexos approval. View attachment 194298
I would put little importance upon the stylized illustration you’re using. Go by what’s on an actual container, the information in a current PDS, or what’s on the GM dexos licensing website. There are other things that the illustration you’re using does not show.

Guess there have been changes. New bottle on Pennzoil website no longer shows Dexos approval. View attachment 194298

The license numbers on the GM Dexos website agree with those on the Pennzoil data sheets dated 2023. I'd say you're fine to use the current product. Even if it has somehow lost its certification due to reformulation (which I don't believe), I don't think it would be retrograded from a Dexos1 Gen3 to not meeting Dexos1 Gen1. It's my belief that if Gold were to would lose its license the reason would have to do with Pennzoil not wanting to pay the royalty to GM.

Finally got some info, Pennzoil Gold is “Available at select motor oil change services locations, only.” No more retail availability. Spoke to Shell and they would not confirm or verify if it continues to meets Dexox 1 Gen 3 requirements. I give up - switched brands after over a half century of Pennzoil use.

Back