Pennzoil Claims Formulation of Platinum Changed to Reflect New 15,000-mile Guarantee On Bottle

Would anyone know if Pennzoil has plans to also update their Platinum High Mileage Full Synthetic to 15,000 mile OCI.
15k more? That's like asking these High Mileage Oils to add another 20% mileage from engine birth. If high mileage oils should originally be used @ (75k), then why not just stick some junkyards brochures to the high milege oil brand jug label. That way when the additional 15k is driven, then just drive the vehicle to the junkyard business located on the brochure.

Lets be reasonable here. High mileage oils are for vehicles near death. Owners should be making plans for their next future vehicle's arrival. Then save some money by planning a double party, celebrating one's garage death and the new incoming birth.

15k more? That's like asking these High Mileage Oils to add another 20% mileage from engine birth. If high mileage oils should originally be used @ (75k), then why not just stick some junkyards brochures to the high milege oil brand jug label. That way when the additional 15k is driven, then just drive the vehicle to the junkyard business located on the brochure.

Lets be reasonable here. High mileage oils are for vehicles near death. Owners should be making plans for their next future vehicle's arrival. Then save some money by planning a double party, celebrating one's garage death and the new incoming birth.
I only use high mileage full synthetic oils. They treat the oil seals and have
higher amounts of phosphorous and zinc anti-wear additives, and calcium (detergent).

Last edited:

With the cost of brand new minivan's costing $60,000+, I prefer to buy used ones in good condition with 90k to110k miles on them for about $5,000 from original owners who did frequent maintenance and did the timing belt recently, and then to drive them 20k miles a year (due to the long commutes myself and 3 other family members have) until they get to 250,000+ miles.

I find this more economical then the cost it would be to buy 4 new vehicles at today's prices.

These vehicles are good candidates for a high mileage oil, which treat the oil seals to help prevent oil leaks on my driveway.
Currently non of my 4 Honda Odysseys have any oil leaks as a result.
The high mileage oil also has extra phosphorous/zinc anti-wear additives, and also extra calcium (detergent).

I prefer Honda Odysseys as they have one of the lowest death's per million vehicle miles according to the Insurance Institute for highway safety in real world accidents which gets the statistics from law enforcement whenever there is a crash with fatalities.

With the cost of brand new minivan's costing $60,000+, I prefer to buy used ones in good condition with 90k to110k miles on them for about $5,000 from original owners who did frequent maintenance and did the timing belt recently, and then to drive them 20k miles a year (due to the long commutes myself and 3 other family members have) until they get to 250,000+ miles.

I find this more economical then the cost it would be to buy 4 new vehicles at today's prices.

These vehicles are good candidates for a high mileage oil, which treat the oil seals to help prevent oil leaks on my driveway.
Currently non of my 4 Honda Odysseys have any oil leaks as a result.
The high mileage oil also has extra phosphorous/zinc anti-wear additives, and also extra calcium (detergent).

I prefer Honda Odysseys as they have one of the lowest death's per million vehicle miles according to the Insurance Institute for highway safety in real world accidents which gets the statistics from law enforcement whenever there is a crash with fatalities.
Your price figures are a tinch off.

Your price figures are a tinch off.
I agree....people aren’t selling 90 to 110k mile well maintained minivans for $5000 anymore.
To add, metallurgy is pretty important for parts that are in boundry lubrication (ie, cams and followers, rings, etc), and plays a large role in wear control. We've seen instances were no matter how good the oil's AF/AW package, if the metallurgy is wrong/bad, wear will still occur. A better oil may slow it down some, but you can't fix bad metallurgy or design defects with oil.
”You talking to me”....says the Hyundai/Kia engineer.

Last edited:
Who does 15/20 K oil changes, Not Me, 5K is my limit, those that do probably leave their filter on for 2 cycles. :LOL:

Who does 15/20 K oil changes, Not Me, 5K is my limit, those that do probably leave their filter on for 2 cycles. :LOL:

We have a few members here who do 15-20k changes but they are definitely in the extreme minority. Same way with the non BITOG do it yourselfers. But a lot of people still like the idea of using an oil that’s rated for long intervals even if they don’t plan on going that long. I just did that myself, on my previous OCI I went with the 20,000 mile formula of Supertech even knowing that I was going to do a 9-10k run. It’s likely that the oils rated for longer life will keep the engine cleaner.

Back