New Pennzoil Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dave1251
I wander what the rest of the industry will do against Pennzoil?

To date M1 doesn't reply directly to adds from competors. As far as I know Penz just started doing adds of this nature recently. Sales may be way off compared to others.

I thought Mobil Super was the Mobil 2?

I can see it now, "Mobil 2, it's not as good but it tries harder."

Or they could call it Mobil 3 to more accurately reflect most of their base stocks.
27.gif

Pennzoil has through testing and has posted videos about it. The only other way would be to take another engine filled with all other synthetic oils mentioned and drive the cars for a set amount of miles under the same conditions and then tear down.

Even if that was done, I doubt that it would change your perception of the product.

They didn't just to the Sequence IIIG test one time and run the results, they actually did it twice. Sent the results to their competitors, waited for a response (there was none) then posted the results for the public.

Now, I am not trying to act like a fan boy here so ill say this. My shop is mainly Pennzoil, we do carry Mobil 1 as well. I run Mobil 5w20 in my Taurus. However, I did a little test on my sister and brother in laws vehicles. They both have matching Dodge Nitro's (lame, I know.) In one I put Mobil 1 5w20, in the other I put Pennzoil Ultra 5w20. Honestly at the next change the and to my surprise Mobil 1 did "appear" to have stood up better, I wish I would have sent the samples in, but it slipped my mind.

Interesting. With the SM formulations Pennzoil's own numbers had it Ultra>Mobil>Platinum. Looks like with the SN formulation it has changed where Platinum is slightly better than Mobil. Since Pennzoil included Ultra in the mix I wish that they would be fair and throw Mobil EP into the mix.

But, lest some forget, during the Q&A about Ultra, Pennoil recommended something like a 4,000 OCI and essentially stated that its cleaning effect beyond that wasn't guaranteed (yeah, very surprising). Of course, this begs the question for those of us that do longer OCI's---will Pennzoil continue to clean better than their rivals if we go 5,000 miles or beyond?

Originally Posted By: Trav
Why should they it is not sold as a long drain oil so if it can or cant is irrelevant.

It's very relevant to me because I do longer OCI's. Also, most people on BITOG do OCI's longer than 4,000 miles and so it's relevant to them.

Originally Posted By: Capa
Originally Posted By: Trav
Why should they it is not sold as a long drain oil so if it can or cant is irrelevant.

It's very relevant to me because I do longer OCI's. Also, most people on BITOG do OCI's longer than 4,000 miles and so it's relevant to them.

With new cars having extended change cycles straight from the factory, and more and more having intelligent OLMs, I can see long-drain as being a very big marketing win.

Does this mean that castrol edge with FST is the best? It's um excluded in the pick?

Originally Posted By: JCM35
Does this mean that castrol edge with FST is the best? It's um excluded in the pick?

Yes, it is excluded unfairly just like Mobil EP.

No other motor oil beats Pennzoil® motor oils in engine sludge and wear protection

Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30 and Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.

According to Pennzoil PU is the best performer in both worlds.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
No other motor oil beats Pennzoil® motor oils in engine sludge and wear protection

Based on Sequence VG sludge test using SAE 5W-30 and Sequence IVA wear test using SAE 5W-30.

According to Pennzoil PU is the best performer in both worlds.

I intend to find out. First time PU use on a 08 GM 3.8L v6 with 67k. History mostly unknown. Based on a couple of receipts and visible proof (deposit buildup in filler, varnish on the stick) it was dino/OLM OCI's since new.

After 300 miles the PU is almost as dark as the oil that came out of it. Maybe I should snap a few photos for a before and after..

Capa---Them being excluded because of slow sales and no harm or better products for this test? Can't believe more ultra is sold than edge FST. At least not my neck of woods.
Most likely because it's very close between EP, FST, and ultra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JCM35
At least not my neck of woods. Most likely because it's very close between EP, FST, and ultra.

Same here, since Ultra is almost impossible to find up here. No problem getting the M1 EP or all the Castrol varieties, though.

I saw a similar Pennzoil ad in AutoWeek this morning. I read the fine print, and they do base their claims on the API tests, but they limit their claim of superior cleanliness to 5w30, and say it doesn't apply to their 40-weights.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
I saw a similar Pennzoil ad in AutoWeek this morning. I read the fine print, and they do base their claims on the API tests, but they limit their claim of superior cleanliness to 5w30, and say it doesn't apply to their 40-weights.

The PU 5w-40 is a Euro oil which Pennzoil has openly admitted is a different formulation than all the non-Euro grades, so it makes sense that the cleaning ability may be different.

Then there is the newly launched PU 0w-40 which we don't really know much about at this point...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back