New Mobil 1 Oil Web Page - EP Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

I think in a way, Amsoil needs Mobil just as much Mobil needs Amsoil in selling synthetic oil. They learn from each other.

Very true, good points. Competition makes them both better. They both one up each other every year or two it seems anyway.

quote:

In many cases, our additive suppliers actually conducted the testing. This is very common in our industry and deemed an acceptable practice.

Infineum does have a very extensive testing laboratory.

quote:

Originally posted by TooSlick:

I'm glad to see the suggested retail of $5.99/qt for the 15,000 mile stuff. That's what I sell the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 for locally on the shelf at retail accounts.

TS

I just came from a local AZ. The clerk quoted me $6.18/qt. They only had M1 EP 10W-30 flavor.
If Price suggests anything (and I believe Mobil), then this oil is definitely different than regular M1. The price range places it up there with discounted Redline. A VOA would definitely show us more about it.
I hear M1 T&SUV might dissapear from local Wallys......if so, this could be a more expensive alternative.
frown.gif

Oh yeah, couldn't find Castrol 0W-30 of ANY kind! Is the world coming to an end? Hardly!
wink.gif

Sounds like Amsoil & Mobil are a team you could say. Will be interesting, but the new Mobil must be a better oil than previous.

quote:

I'm glad to see the suggested retail of $5.99/qt for the 15,000 mile stuff. That's what I sell the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 for locally on the shelf at retail accounts.

I've NEVER seen Amsoil below $7qt in the North East. Avg price of S2k the few times I've seen was $9qt.

quote:

Originally posted by Roger:
I could be wrong, but it still appears that Mobil dropped the ACEA A5/B5 for the new API SM M1 5W30. The old SL did meet this standard. http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_5W-30.aspx

While the new API SM Mobil 1 EP 5W30 does indeed meet A5/B5: http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_5W-30.aspx

Also looks like API SM, non-EP M1 10W30 still meets A5/B5.

Probably doesn't matter much anyway.

I think it does matter since A5/B5 is a tougher standard to meet than A1/B1.

I saw some 5 quart jugs of the SM GF-4 M1 tonight at Walmart. This was the "standard" M1 in the new bottles, not the EP oil. The 10W-30 is still A1/B1, A5/B5 rated but the 5W-30 is now only rated A1/B1. So it looks like what you pointed out about the marketing sheets is correct.

I looks to me like SM might be a step backward for the 5W-30.

I suppose that's one way to get people to move to the new EP oils and pay more. Just reduce the quality of the standard oils. That may also explain the numbers they're thowing around about the anti-wear additives in the EP oils vs. the "standard" M1. It don't mean they're that much higher than the old SL versions, just higher than the new SM variety. Call me unimpressed with that thought since it reminds me of an old saying. Figures don't lie but liars figure.

Anyway, time will tell how good any of these new oils are. But it looks like it might be good idea to buy the old SL stuff if you want to use the 5W-30. Wally had plenty of quart bottles of it...

[ January 31, 2005, 12:14 AM: Message edited by: jsharp ]

quote:

Mamala Bay:
.... I think in a way, Amsoil needs Mobil just as much Mobil needs Amsoil in selling synthetic oil. .....

Certainly Amsoil needs someone who actually manufacturers base stocks, blend stocks, and additives.

quote:

What do you think the price will be?

Laredo Wal-mart on the extended 5 and 10w flavors: $5.36/quart, no jugs yet... also no more motorcraft as soon as they run out
frown.gif

Hey whats with the high prices of dino anymore, Motorcraft at Auto zone is over 2 bucks a quart!
shocked.gif

I just bought two 5 quart bottles of the extended 5w30 for $24 each ($4.80 quart)at the Tracy Ca Wal-mart.

OK... Just returned from "Wally World." The employee in the auto section, was fit-to-be-tied. Told: Remove Valvoline and Quaker State motor oils, to make room for an influx of new Mobil products. Face-up the Fram oil/air filters, as more are incoming, to take the place of the (RIP) Motorcraft products. Looks like it's going to be a Mobil/Fram kinda shopping experience, from now on... The poor dude was clueless... He was putting the new, extended drain Mobil 1, in the "old" Mobil 1 bays.
cheers.gif

[ February 01, 2005, 02:08 AM: Message edited by: rugerman1 ]

And...
rolleyes.gif
It seems the new Mobil 1 UberOil is good for 15K, unless you do things like: idle, do stop&go driving, tow, drive in dusty conditions, AH...
dunno.gif
confused.gif

quote:

Remove Valvoline and Quaker State motor oils, to make room for an influx of new Mobil products

It looks like Mobil is trying to figure out how to use it's strong brand image of Mobil-1 to sell more of the lower end conventional and blend oils. Although Mobil-1 has a big lead in the synthetic market, their other motor oils are not highly regarded when compared to well established specialty brands like Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline and Castrol. There are lots of folks out there who consider themselves regular users of one of the branded conventional oils. Oil company branded conventional oils are considered in the average customer mind to be inferior to lubricant specialty brands. Rememember than 99.9999% of the buying population does not have the insights which are common on BITOG.

Mobil seems to be trying to make a smart set of plays which if successful will both increase their volume share of the DIY motor oil market *and* push through an increase in the average per unit selling price. MBAs are probably dancing in the halls at ExxonMobil Lubricants right now, but I suspect that their plans will not all work out.

A year from now I bet that Mobil's shelf space at WalMart will shrink back down.

John

quote:

Originally posted by ULVER:
And...
rolleyes.gif
It seems the new Mobil 1 UberOil is good for 15K, unless you do things like: idle, do stop&go driving, tow, drive in dusty conditions, AH...
dunno.gif
confused.gif

Actually, I was surprised to see that "stop & go" and "short trips" were NOT included in Mobil's definition of severe service.

My guess is that is what the 'time limit' is figured in for. So unless you're idling a lot (like a taxi or police car), driving in the desert, or towing often you should be all set with their recommendation.

quote:

Originally posted by jthorner:

quote:

Remove Valvoline and Quaker State motor oils, to make room for an influx of new Mobil products

It looks like Mobil is trying to figure out how to use it's strong brand image of Mobil-1 to sell more of the lower end conventional and blend oils. Although Mobil-1 has a big lead in the synthetic market, their other motor oils are not highly regarded when compared to well established specialty brands like Pennzoil, Quaker State, Valvoline and Castrol. There are lots of folks out there who consider themselves regular users of one of the branded conventional oils. Oil company branded conventional oils are considered in the average customer mind to be inferior to lubricant specialty brands. Rememember than 99.9999% of the buying population does not have the insights which are common on BITOG.

Mobil seems to be trying to make a smart set of plays which if successful will both increase their volume share of the DIY motor oil market *and* push through an increase in the average per unit selling price. MBAs are probably dancing in the halls at ExxonMobil Lubricants right now, but I suspect that their plans will not all work out.

A year from now I bet that Mobil's shelf space at WalMart will shrink back down.

John

It does look like they are going to be trading on their good brand name doesn't it.

Ever so slightly ( if at all ) improve your current oil but relabel it as some super oil and sell it at a higher price.

Cheapen your current oil but keep the current name and sell it at the same price.

The marketing and accounting guys have been busy. In the short term it's far cheaper than doing engineering but long term I'm not convinced it's a good idea. It's really easy to destroy a brand name, even one that's taken 25+ years to build...

I'm curious myself about the 15w50. The previous 15w50 had little or no FM's in it. I wonder if this new stuff does? Dad was thinking of using it in his bike on the next oil change,,,,,AR

quote:

The previous 15w50 had little or no FM's in it

I believe the 15w-50 always had FM's in it. If it's true that the new Mobil 1 EP is Mobil 1 from about 2 years ago, I'd be disspointed. However, it will still be a bargain IMO.

Buster, if the 15-50 had some FM's in it, then how come my dad ran it in his Honda VT1100 with wet clutch succesfully? I know I make it sound like I'm mad or something, but I'm just curious that's all
smile.gif

Man I wish I had some dollars to play with, I really want to do some VOA's on some of these new M1 oils,,,,AR

quote:

Originally posted by Airborne Ranger:
Buster, if the 15-50 had some FM's in it, then how come my dad ran it in his Honda VT1100 with wet clutch succesfully? I know I make it sound like I'm mad or something, but I'm just curious that's all
smile.gif

Man I wish I had some dollars to play with, I really want to do some VOA's on some of these new M1 oils,,,,AR

I believe the 15W-50 has had FM additives in it for quite a while. I ran M1 in wet clutch bikes in the 80's and everyone told me it wouldn't work then but I had no clutch problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back