New Mobil 1 Oil Web Page - EP Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally have a hard time believing that this 'new' Mobil-1 Extended Performance is much of a reformulation at all.

Regular, current, on-the-shelf Mobil-1 does just fine for 15k mile drains in a mechanically sound engine. There is not a single UOA posted here, or on the Internet as a whole where Mobil-1 left in the engine for an extended interval has caused either excessive wear or been subject to oil breakdown.

Mobil speaks of things such as '37% more Supersyn' and such. 37% more of an unknown constituent is still an unknown. Also, the website design seems to imply that the base Mobil-1 Supersyn product might be dissappearing (what we buy today), replaced by the Mobil-1 Extended Performance. It will be interesting to see what happens -- maybe there is a solid reason behind the Pep Boys calenders and such.

I see where your comming from but they are garanteeing it will make 15,000 miles, so I think they are covering themselves by adding more additives. Some VOA's will help.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Oils.aspx

They have a nice line up. New bottles also.

You may notice that they also have a new line of oil filters:

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English...Mobil_1_Extended_Performance_Oil_Filters.aspx

I believe that these filters incorporate some of the Champion Labs technology in the now almost discontinued Delco Ultraguard Gold, along with some new improvements such as an increased capacity.

Also, the oils carry a warranty. For example, here's the Mobil 1 warranty:

"This limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or 1 year from the date [purchase or installation], whichever is earlier."

"If there is equipment failure related to the Mobil brand lubricant you purchased, ExxonMobil will repair any equipment damage directly caused by a defect or malfunction of a Mobil lubricant, provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the original equipment manufacturer or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil."

No GF-4... "and as a result, does not meet the requirements for ILSAC GF-4, which are designed for fuel economy and performance."

I'm finding this hard to that it doesn't meet the GF-4 spec. Perhaps the Ph and Zn levels won't be reduced, thus negating the rating opportunity.
dunno.gif

When will this oil be availble for us to purchase?

quote:

provided that the lubricant was selected and maintained in accordance with specifications of the original equipment manufacturer or the written instructions (which includes product packaging) of ExxonMobil.

what's with the double talk?

so if honda should ever say 'every 3k', can they penalize you for going over?

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
I personally have a hard time believing that this 'new' Mobil-1 Extended Performance is much of a reformulation at all. ....

And I have my doubts about those heavier-than-air vehicles .... it must be a trick.

SuperSyn is a proprietary additive package. A quick scan of oil analyses on this board shows the primary elemental make-up, and analyses of the new formulae will show an increase in those elements. The base and blend stocks are also all well-known, although ExxonMobil doesn't publish the data since it is proprietary.

No, the new formulae do not involve a new molecule or Type V base stock.

However, they are an improvement over the existing line-up in terms of lower wear and cleaner engines for longer periods in both lab and field tests.

OK, those products look in a way to be exciting. But... No API SM? No GF-4? No GM-LL?

Gee, I had hoped highly that thy would have a 0w-30 or 5w-30 that met the GM long-life 30k km extended drain interval. Sure the 0w-40 euro car formula does, but they DO make a 30 weight in europe for the same purpose.

I already knew that M1 was ok for over 10k miles in its old form... I dont see much of a need for this new one, especially since it doesnt meet the GF-4 and SM standards. WHats my real benefit, if highway driving is easy on oil, doesnt dirty it too much, and past UOAs are good?

I guess I just was expecting a little bit more out of the M1 products...

JMH

quote:

Originally posted by pitzel:
I personally have a hard time believing that this 'new' Mobil-1 Extended Performance is much of a reformulation at all.

Regular, current, on-the-shelf Mobil-1 does just fine for 15k mile drains in a mechanically sound engine. There is not a single UOA posted here, or on the Internet as a whole where Mobil-1 left in the engine for an extended interval has caused either excessive wear or been subject to oil breakdown.

Mobil speaks of things such as '37% more Supersyn' and such. 37% more of an unknown constituent is still an unknown. Also, the website design seems to imply that the base Mobil-1 Supersyn product might be dissappearing (what we buy today), replaced by the Mobil-1 Extended Performance. It will be interesting to see what happens -- maybe there is a solid reason behind the Pep Boys calenders and such.

I'm reserving judgment until I see more details on the new oils, but it is worth noting in response that what appears to be the entire existing M1 line still exists right along side the shorter list of EP oils. Not that oil companies are immune from engaging in cynical, sleazy marketing tactics, but it would seem an awful stretch for them to sell the original oil in two different bottles. If they are the same, the FTC might have a problem with the inconsistent representations regarding the two.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
I'm reserving judgment until I see more details on the new oils, but it is worth noting in response that what appears to be the entire existing M1 line still exists right along side the shorter list of EP oils. ....

These oils are specifically aimed at the do-it-yourself market. For example, it includes a 10W-40 oil which is not a recommended viscosity of any current automobile that I know of, but which is the second most popular viscosity in the over-the-counter retail market.

This line complements, not replaces, the existing line.

quote:

If they are the same, the FTC might have a problem with the inconsistent representations regarding the two.

Right now, already, we know they aren't the same. The Extended Performance carries a 15k mile/1 year warranty. The regular Mobil-1 is only rated up to the maximum allowed by the manufacturer. Even if they are the same physically and chemically, think of the extra dollar or two you spend per quart on the oil as the price of Mobil providing an 'insurance policy' on the extended use of their product.

On another note, their '7500' oils look interesting, and as others have alluded earlier, these are group II+/III blends. Their whole marketing strategy seems peculiarly aimed at Amsoil -- I am extremely interested to see how Amsoil corporate and Amsoil's dealer network will respond to the new product lineup.

These oils look awesome if you ask me. The 10W-40 is ACEA A3 Rated, and they won't have the GF-4 ZDDP cap that we've all been worried about. GF-4 for dinos is good i think, because they have better base oils than before. But this stuff is already PAO, so it's win win IMO. Time'll tell how they are, but it seems like a great idea on paper, and from a marketing standpoint (DIY self oriented).

Did anyone notice on these new pages - The standard Mobil 1 15W-50 is gone. The only place it appears is in the extended performance category.

Looks like Mobil decided the same thing as a lot of us. That the GF-4 additive limits are not conductive to making an extended drain oil...

The "regular" Mobil 1's are mostly GF4 now (except 0w40 and SUV). 0w20 is not listed, 5w20 is added. Looks like they're meeting new car warranty specs. Now, if you don't want a GF4 oil you can get the extended drain, or 0w40 or SUV. It looks like good marketing, they've covered the GF4 and high performance market.

I suspect the newer oils are using the "UltraSyn" series of PAOs as the majority base oil.

In fact, they may aleady be using some of the UltraSyn basestock in current Mobil 1 formulations.

quote:

I already knew that M1 was ok for over 10k miles in its old form... I dont see much of a need for this new one, especially since it doesnt meet the GF-4 and SM standards. WHats my real benefit, if highway driving is easy on oil, doesnt dirty it too much, and past UOAs are good?

Ditto. Where are they taking us that we haven't already been? They already make great extended drain oils. The only people that can take advantage of them are doing lots of miles. With a 1 year OCI limit ..how much more can this stuff be worth than the current offerings
dunno.gif

quote:

This line complements, not replaces, the existing line.

That's my first impression. They dropped some ..added others. Moved a few around ..kept the "core" intact.

No revolution ..just evolution.

I wonder how the M1R 0w30 now fits into the scheme of things? I see it's now off to the side with a separate link. Would the M1 Extended 10w40 make a good substitute for no M1R 10w40? Or are these totally different formulations for totally different purposes?

quote:

Originally posted by Gary Allan:
Ditto. Where are they taking us that we haven't already been? They already make great extended drain oils. The only people that can take advantage of them are doing lots of miles. With a 1 year OCI limit ..how much more can this stuff be worth than the current offerings

I would suspect that, if you have been following the UOA's and the discussion here over the past while, you would realize that time is nearly irrelevant insofar as the life of motor oil is concerned.

Oil companies specify a 'time' limit for very few reasons:

1) To protect themselves from warranty claims arising from instances where someone literally idled their engine for an extended period and didn't drive anywhere.

2) To sell more oil and to continue to propogate the myth of the 3 month/3k mile oil change.

3) To satisfy the corporate bookkeepers and insurers who are obliged under the GAAP rules to account and assign an actuarially based liability for outstanding warranties and performance guarantees.

Other than that, there is no reason why time-based intervals are even specified. I have personally had original fills of oil in service for over 40 years in some equipment I formerly managed at a former employer, and year after year, it came back just fine, with no breakdown whatsoever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back