Mobil 1 Truck SUV vs Extended Performance

As far as either of these oils which of the two is better. I'm specifically interested in the 10% higher resistance to oil break down claim of the truck/ SUV model. Seems like it may be a better choice for a GDI engine vs EP. Many people claim marketing but the truck/ SUV usually costs more than EP at Walmart. Already have a stash of EP but considering the current Mobil 1 sale at Walmart looks like truck/ SUV is only $22 vs the usual $37. Oil would be used a 2024 GM 5.3 or 2021 Subaru Outback 2.5.

Mobil lists the EP as their Top Tier oil and it is higher in the chain than Truck/SUV...it is also good for 20K miles rather than 10K miles regardless of when you change your oil...generally don't go longer than 5K miles for either the GDI no turbo, single turbo, twin turbo or non GDI truck engines I take care of...

full disclosure: I used Quaker State Full Synthetic 5W-30 for the 2005 GMC Denali 6.0 this last oil change and will continue to do so for that vehicle...I still prefer M1 and use the M1 EP in the others...

good luck with your choice

Bill

I dont know what their hths are, but

Kinematic Viscosity @ 100 C, mm2/s, ASTM D445

ep is 10.12 vs fs euro is 12.2 vs truck 10 vs plain m1 10.8 vs 11.9 esp

Similar trends in other tests

(opinion) ..... and you never mentioned the specific engines. So guesswork is more prevalent here.

I'd expect Mobil to say their preference is the EP and it's mine also.
In any oil dealing with GDI / TGDI, I favor the one with less Calcium and increased Magnesium and I believe that's EP.
I agree about the EP. So long as it's SP/SN+ it passes the LSPI tests.

If you have data EP is better than truck/SUV I’d like to see it. Would truly help me decide on my oil choice.
Both oils have the same API SP license and zero OEM approvals. They will both perform very very similarly. I don't put much stock in Mobil's mileage claims, as they are highly platform and use case dependent. It's not the same to do highway 25K miles in a port injected naturally aspirated V8 with an 8 quart sump as it is to do 5000 miles in a 1.5L Honda turbo charged engine with a four quart sump.

I use Mobil 1 EP 5W-30 in a Pentastar V6 PUG that calls for 0W-20 and change it every 5~6K miles. It's convenient, easy to get, change it once or twice a year. I also run a catch can. I could also use just about anything else. It won't make any difference if you use Truck & SUV or EP. Just pick one and be happy, don't lose any sleep over it.

Both oils have the same API SP license and zero OEM approvals.
Partly correct. Both do have current Ford spec among other OEM approvals. I'm using the 5w-30 interchangeably in my 5.0 F150. Since I'm using the OLM interval of about 7,500 miles, I feel equally confident with either. Next OC going with QSUP (also has current Ford xxx-961 spec) to see if there's any noticable difference.

If I could buy both for the same price I'd buy (and use) the EP....as addyguy said..."stronger for longer" ....which works better for me.

"Stronger for longer" would be a full SAPS oil like Mobil 1 FS 5W-30/0W-40/5W-40. You loose a bit of fuel efficiency but gain better wear protection in case you need it (towing, tracking, whatever abuse you may do to your engine).

M1 new Triple Action Formula has a very Robust base stock according to them . with that being said we can assume M1EP is the cream of the crop with there 20k protection claim.

Truck / SUV has 10% more Group II+/3. What it has less of I do not know - I will let someone smarter answer that part

Truck/SUV 5w-30
1706471870262.png

5w-30 EP:
1706471851758.png

Back