New Mobil 1 Oil Web Page - EP Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
The redesigned oil finder on the Mobil site is pretty neat. Now they don't ask you only what model year and make you drive, they also ask for mileage and whether the car is still under warranty. They also ask if the car is being driven at under or above 0 degrr F, and they ask for the level of protection you seek.

Until recently, the oil finder would list only two M1 oils as "maybe" suitable for my car:

- M1 0W-40
- M1 15W-50

The new oil finder lists only M1 15W-50, and only if I pick the highest level of protection.

I hope they won't find out I'm secretly using M1 5W-40.
tongue.gif

I picked up some of the buy 3 get 3 coupons from Pep Boys so I tried the oil finder on the Mobil website. For my 04 Concorde 6K under warranty it recomended Mobil 1 10W30 and for my 96 Blazer 81K miles it recomended Mobil 1 5W30.

So for a European car, designed for 5w-40 oil, would you put in M1 0W-40 or M1 Extended 10W-40? This is for northern Ohio, where we go down to about 0-5 degrees only a few times a winter.

quote:

Originally posted by pete643:
So for a European car, designed for 5w-40 oil, would you put in M1 0W-40 or M1 Extended 10W-40? This is for northern Ohio, where we go down to about 0-5 degrees only a few times a winter.

0w-40 winter, 10w-40 summer!

quote:

Originally posted by Drew99GT:

quote:

Originally posted by pete643:

0w-40 winter, 10w-40 summer!

BRILLIANT!!!
 -

quote:

Originally posted by JHZR2:
OK, those products look in a way to be exciting. But... No API SM? No GF-4? No GM-LL?

Gee, I had hoped highly that thy would have a 0w-30 or 5w-30 that met the GM long-life 30k km extended drain interval. Sure the 0w-40 euro car formula does, but they DO make a 30 weight in europe for the same purpose.

I already knew that M1 was ok for over 10k miles in its old form... I dont see much of a need for this new one, especially since it doesnt meet the GF-4 and SM standards. WHats my real benefit, if highway driving is easy on oil, doesnt dirty it too much, and past UOAs are good?

I guess I just was expecting a little bit more out of the M1 products...

JMH

The Saab Turbo 0W 30 is Mobil 1 and has the GM LL spec. It can be bought at any Saab dealer. My UOA has been posted and it was pretty good.
Good point here on specs--where are the extended drain specs for MB, BMW, VW, GM/Opel etc.???

quote:

Originally posted by Pat in Speedway:
I'm guessing "our conventional oil, Mobil Clean" is referring to Drive Clean. Does this mean it's now just a bulk oil for dealerships & the like??
confused.gif

Looks like it. Currently Costco sells Drive Clean, I guess they'll be selling Clean 5000 when they sell out of the the Drive Clean?

Are these products replacing the current line of commercially available Mobil-branded oils?

Mobil Clean 5000, Mobil Clean High Mileage, Mobil Clean 7500 are completely new products from ExxonMobil. They will replace Mobil Drive Clean Plus and Mobil Drive Clean, which are being discontinued.

It's also interesting that we were told that Drive Clean would be using a Group III base and lo and behold several months later it's being discontinued and replaced with a slightly more expensive product. (Clean 5000 is apparently showing up at some Wal-Marts for $1.69/quart, compared to the $1.20/quart that Drive Clean sold for..)

people were asking when will it be out. I just bought some tonight at walmart, 5 quart jug for $23.82 in the 5w30, they did not have many, maybe 2 or 3 more hidden on the back side by the other randon 5 quart jugs.

quote:

Originally posted by CosmicFlash:
The Saab Turbo 0W 30 is Mobil 1 and has the GM LL spec. It can be bought at any Saab dealer. My UOA has been posted and it was pretty good.
Good point here on specs--where are the extended drain specs for MB, BMW, VW, GM/Opel etc.???

From what I understand, SAAB Turbo 0W-30 will no longer be imported and SAAB dealers will use Mobil 1 0W-40 instead.

Material Safety Data Sheets are in!!web page

MOBIL CLEAN 5000 5W-30 and MOBIL DRIVE CLEAN OIL 5W-30 are different. Pour points are different. -11f to -44f

I might have to pick up more Drive Clean before it sells out.

Mobil has come out with its new oils...

Mobil 5000 = Dino $2.09 a quart
Mobil 7500 = Semi Syn $2.59
Mobil1 Extended (15000) = FULL syn $5.99
Mobil 1 performance = Full syn that meets GF4 specs ?no price yet?

Prices are from a Autozone that JUST got the new stuff today.

The obvious question to ask here is if the semi-syn @ < $3.00/qt is good for 7500 miles, why aren't they recommending 10,000-12,000 mile intervals with Mobil 1?
smile.gif
Of course, that's about twice as long as most folks run the stuff, so they would sell less oil.

I'm glad to see the suggested retail of $5.99/qt for the 15,000 mile stuff. That's what I sell the Amsoil 5w-30/10w-30/10w-40 for locally on the shelf at retail accounts.

TS

I want to send off for a VOA but I'm waiting bc I think milerl already did.

I don't think any company can compete with Mobil as far as sales $$$ on synthetic oil on a retail level as they just got to much power period.

Amsoil is of quality, and not on the retail selling. Extended synthetic OCI is hard to sell(backing it's warranty) on a retail level because it has to be done properly is why they have dealers like TooSlick educating the product Amsoil has to offer. He wants good for his costumers is what Amsoil's market is about.

I will agree it's hard to sell extended synthetic oil on the market and have warranty to it's product it's because one has to be educated in using synthetic oil to have full impact on it's use. Try going retail and back your words on synthetic oil application where the consumer has no idea what synthetic oil is but what he reads on the label. I think Amsoil tried to bridge that gap with it's dealers as educating synthetic oil application.

Either way I look at it, Mobil will always be the leader. I think in a way, Amsoil needs Mobil just as much Mobil needs Amsoil in selling synthetic oil. They learn from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back