you thoughts on Mobil 1 EP 0W-20 for '13 Honda 3.5 & '17 Chevy 5.3

M1 EP 10W-30 if I lived in S. Texas. As long as it meets the specified oil requirements in your owner's manual.

I use it in my v8 Tundra in WA which can get much colder and I recently changed the oil and did not have a bad ear day and the engine sounded smooth. 🤣
Out was Valvoline EP 5W-30 which is my other favorite oil for this car. I switch back & forth.

Also if any of your cars burn any or a little oil, try the EP 10W-30. It may surprise you. It does well in my old cars too.

At WalMart I can get Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 5-qt jugs for under $30.

I do oil changes on a '13 Honda Pilot 3.5, '17 Silverado 5.3 and a '17 Tahoe 5.3. I live in South Texas with high heat most of the year and non-freezing winters.

What are your thoughts on this oil for these 3 vehicles w/ Fram Ultra filters? I try to run down the OLM on my vehicles down to 5%-10% before doing an OC, but sometimes I will go past when it hits 0% due to my busy schedule.

Thank you
Use Mobil 1 0W-20 EP(Extended Protection) HM(High Mileage) motor oil, only. Use Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram Endurance filter. Reset the OLM as usual, but extend oil OCI intervals for you savings & convenience. Run the M1 0W-20 EP HM for 15k miles of 20k miles of Mobil marketed OCI. Can run in cars & trucks past one year Mobil marketed time, if cars & trucks are not short-hopped. Please note: even in Death Valley, California (130F max temp), a 0W-20 is the specified oil by Honda (look up GM) because the engine operates perfectly on it, with maximum HP, torque, & MPG. Typical warmed-up engine temps are already very hot at 195F to 220F, in all climates, and engine temp is always hotter than any outside temp, so there is no need for a "thicker" (more viscous) oil at any outside temp. A "thicker" oil reduces HP, torque, & MPG, and does not lubricate oem designed internal engine components any better than specified oil
At WalMart I can get Mobil 1 EP 0w-20 5-qt jugs for under $30.

I do oil changes on a '13 Honda Pilot 3.5, '17 Silverado 5.3 and a '17 Tahoe 5.3. I live in South Texas with high heat most of the year and non-freezing winters.

What are your thoughts on this oil for these 3 vehicles w/ Fram Ultra filters? I try to run down the OLM on my vehicles down to 5%-10% before doing an OC, but sometimes I will go past when it hits 0% due to my busy schedule.

Thank you
Consider using Mobil 1 0W-20 EP(Extended Protection) HM(High Mileage) motor oil. Use Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram Endurance filter. Reset the OLM as usual, but extend oil OCI intervals for your savings & convenience. Run the M1 0W-20 EP HM for 15k miles of 20k miles of Mobil quoted OCI. Can run in cars & trucks past one year Mobil quoted time, if van & trucks are not short-hopped. Please note: even in Death Valley, California (130F max temp), a 0W-20 is the specified oil by Honda (look up for GM trucks) because the engine operates perfectly on it, with maximum HP, torque, & MPG. Typical warmed-up engine temps are already very hot at 195F to 220F, in all climates, and engine temp is always hotter than any outside temp, so there is no need for a "thicker" (more viscous) oil at any outside temp or conditions. A "thicker" oil reduces HP, torque, & MPG, and does not lubricate oem designed internal engine components any better than specified oil.

M1 ESP 0W-30 is now on sale at Walmart for less than $30/jug. Amazing that this oil can be had this cheap considering the tough approvals it has.

The 3.5 HTHS would give me confidence in the heat of Texas.

It's what I'm running in our new Odyssey with the 3.5 V6.

Our Tacoma currently has M1 0W-40, however, considering the fact that it's now on the shelf at Walmart for so cheap, I'm considering making the ESP 0W-30 my "one oil" for both vehicles.

For some reason Death Valley makes me think of a stout 30 (A3/B4) and/or a nice 40 ... Plus a few added Euro specs for safety since I don't want to push the car uphill in that heat! 🤣

M1 ESP 0W-30 is now on sale at Walmart for less than $30/jug. Amazing that this oil can be had this cheap considering the tough approvals it has.

The 3.5 HTHS would give me confidence in the heat of Texas.

It's what I'm running in our new Odyssey with the 3.5 V6.

Our Tacoma currently has M1 0W-40, however, considering the fact that it's now on the shelf at Walmart for so cheap, I'm considering making the ESP 0W-30 my "one oil" for both vehicles.
Typically, heavy-duty diesel engine lubricants have had a minimum HTHS viscosity of 3.5 cP. ESP oil is formulated for passenger car diesels. There is nothing special about the heat in Texas, since the engine operates at 200 degrees Fahrenheit after a 5 minute warm-up. During warm-up the 0W-20 is superior, even in Texas.

Last edited:
Use Mobil 1 0W-20 EP(Extended Protection) HM(High Mileage) motor oil, only. Use Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram Endurance filter. Reset the OLM as usual, but extend oil OCI intervals for you savings & convenience. Run the M1 0W-20 EP HM for 15k miles of 20k miles of Mobil marketed OCI. Can run in cars & trucks past one year Mobil marketed time, if cars & trucks are not short-hopped. Please note: even in Death Valley, California (130F max temp), a 0W-20 is the specified oil by Honda (look up GM) because the engine operates perfectly on it, with maximum HP, torque, & MPG. Typical warmed-up engine temps are already very hot at 195F to 220F, in all climates, and engine temp is always hotter than any outside temp, so there is no need for a "thicker" (more viscous) oil at any outside temp. A "thicker" oil reduces HP, torque, & MPG, and does not lubricate oem designed internal engine components any better than specified oil

Consider using Mobil 1 0W-20 EP(Extended Protection) HM(High Mileage) motor oil. Use Mobil 1 oil filter, or Fram Endurance filter. Reset the OLM as usual, but extend oil OCI intervals for your savings & convenience. Run the M1 0W-20 EP HM for 15k miles of 20k miles of Mobil quoted OCI. Can run in cars & trucks past one year Mobil quoted time, if van & trucks are not short-hopped. Please note: even in Death Valley, California (130F max temp), a 0W-20 is the specified oil by Honda (look up for GM trucks) because the engine operates perfectly on it, with maximum HP, torque, & MPG. Typical warmed-up engine temps are already very hot at 195F to 220F, in all climates, and engine temp is always hotter than any outside temp, so there is no need for a "thicker" (more viscous) oil at any outside temp or conditions. A "thicker" oil reduces HP, torque, & MPG, and does not lubricate oem designed internal engine components any better than specified oil.
I just purchased one of the Fram Endurance filters after looking at it really good in the store. I can say I was impressed with the internals I could see compare to the Honda OEMs I have in the shop. Seems like a good quality filter for similar price to others.

Back