New Fram Endurance Oil Filter same as Amsoil??

None of this is news; the Endurance has been out for a while.
The minor differences in the two filters are easily accounted for by mere production variation; these are essentially the same.
What does this video prove past what we already know?

Last edited:
$22 for the Amsoil $13 for the FRAM.
For what its worth...and I'm sure a filter expert will chime in soon, I don't think Amsoil is price gouging or anything. Both Amsoil and Fram likely buy this from one of the few filter manufacturers out there. Fram buys and sells probably 1000x more of these filters than Amsoil so their quantity discount is likely way better.

Also...you can get the Amsoil filter for as low as $17.60 if you are part of their "preferred pricing".

In that video, the Amsoil has that crooked seam and that loose thread hanging out. It also has a splotch of some unknown substance staining the media in one spot. Meanwhile, the Fram is dang near perfect.

The "splotch" is present on both; you can see that it's likely a dye code marking (see video at 9:00) which bleeds through the media. There are no "threads"; it's part of the wire backing where the filter is joined to itself to make the continuous loop.

Overall, there's no reason to think these are anything but essentially the same; what variation you see is typical of any high-volume production process.

Both are very good filters; one's just a better ROI than the other.

I'm running some long OCIs on my Taurus with HPL as experiments. I may have to look at using the Endurance and see how well 25k miles really plays out!

Last edited:
For what its worth...and I'm sure a filter expert will chime in soon, I don't think Amsoil is price gouging or anything. Both Amsoil and Fram likely buy this from one of the few filter manufacturers out there. Fram buys and sells probably 1000x more of these filters than Amsoil so their quantity discount is likely way better.

Also...you can get the Amsoil filter for as low as $17.60 if you are part of their "preferred pricing".
At the end of the day it is a $13 filter and probably costs between $3-5 to manufacture, obviously leaving them a good profit margin.

Is the average person paying extra for a membership to bring $22 down to $17.50?, that program is only beneficial for people who use Amsoil products only and even in this situation it is more cost effective for people to just buy the FRAM version and use that membership for oil, free shipping and other products Amsoil sells.

Amsoil offers good products don't get me wrong, great oil, but me personally there is no way I would pay the extra price for that oil filter with a Walmart being nearby.

Now if a Walmart is not nearby then obviously you have to consider at that point do you want to pay the extra in gas or the extra for the filter from Amsoil.

At the end of the day it is a $13 filter and probably costs between $3-5 to manufacture, obviously leaving them a good profit margin.

Is the average person paying extra for a membership to bring $22 down to $17.50?, that program is only beneficial for people who use Amsoil products only and even in this situation it is more cost effective for people to just buy the FRAM version and use that membership for oil, free shipping and other products Amsoil sells.

Amsoil offers good products don't get me wrong, great oil, but me personally there is no way I would pay the extra price for that oil filter with a Walmart being nearby.

Now if a Walmart is not nearby then obviously you have to consider at that point do you want to pay the extra in gas or the extra for the filter from Amsoil.
The Amsoil USED TO BE a superior filter when they used the Donaldson Synteq media-now they're not... Hard to believe they would cheapen one of their flagship products!

The Amsoil USED TO BE a superior filter when they used the Donaldson Synteq media-now they're not... Hard to believe they would cheapen one of their flagship products!
I will have to read up on this Donaldson Synteq media, not something I am familiar with. But nothing surprises me these days, all companies are looking to cut costs, some cut them in ways that don't affect the product while others do.

Possible First Brands won’t make it for them anymore? I can’t see their market being very large. The number of people that would pay $20 for an oil filter must be very small.

Isn't the Synteq media a 2-layer filter of a synthetic media blown onto a cellulose media layer?

The same type of media that BITOG hates on the current Fram Ultra filters?

Isn't the Synteq media a 2-layer filter of a synthetic media blown onto a cellulose media layer?
This sticky thread in the Oil Filter forum has some info on it. See post #2 in link.

Also...you can get the Amsoil filter for as low as $17.60 if you are part of their "preferred pricing

This video comparison was eye opening for me.

Fram is the manufacturer so Amsoil is getting the benefits of their economy of high volume mass production. $22 vs $13; $9 (69%) more or $17.60 vs $13.00; $4.60 (35%) more for a near identical product that came out of the same factory, same process.

The only differences, and they have no impact on stated product performance are;
  • black paint vs blue
  • two more pleats
  • label
  • box
Clearly Amsoil marketing is relying on an uninformed consumer to pay their incredible pricing. And if this is their tactic with an oil filter it makes me question what is going on with their oil.

From an operational standpoint, the Amsoil version of the Endurance only creates complexity, clutter and extra materials in the factory and warehousing for a product that offers no benefit to the consumer over the Endurance.

This video comparison was eye opening for me.

Fram is the manufacturer so Amsoil is getting the benefits of their economy of high volume mass production. $22 vs $13; $9 (69%) more or $17.60 vs $13.00; $4.60 (35%) more for a near identical product that came out of the same factory, same process.

The only differences, and they have no impact on stated product performance are;
  • black paint vs blue
  • two more pleats
  • label
  • box
Clearly Amsoil marketing is relying on an uninformed consumer to pay their incredible pricing. And if this is their tactic with an oil filter it makes me question what is going on with their oil.

From an operational standpoint, the Amsoil version of the Endurance only creates complexity, clutter and extra materials in the factory and warehousing for a product that offers no benefit to the consumer over the Endurance.
I think you are on to something here. I know a Amsoil rep who is a fat cat. Owns the finest of the fine.
Jet Setting the world over. Sits around all day stuffing his face with exotic morsels dipped in Duke's mayonnaise...

I've met quite a few people who believe in going all out when it comes to oil and filter changes. By all out I mean frequent oil & filter changes (as in 2000 - 5000 miles) using the most expensive Mobil 1 product and a Mobil 1 filter (after all, if it costs more, it has to be the best).

Some folk just cannot be talked out of or educated about their perceived notions.

Back