Particle Count Comparisons! Fram Ultra vs K&P Reusable Stainless Mesh oil filter

Reasons were given why there could be no real wear difference seen in a couple of short run UOAs. Even the left over oil from one OCI could effect the UOA wear metal counts on the next OCI, depending on how dirty the oil was on the last OCI. Comparing just two short OCIs could make it even less useful of a test method in that case.

Do three 10K mile OCIs in a row with one filter model, then do another three 10K OCIs in a row with the other filter model after doing a clean oil "flush run" before the first run with a different efficiency filter. That would give a better comparison, but it would take 60K miles to see the trend results. UOAs are all about controlled long term trends.

As mentioned, the longer the OCI, the more wear difference could be seen between sump cleanliness levels (particle count levels). But a seen difference in the PC level with only 2500 mile UOAs may not show much if any difference in wear metals. Plus, without looking closely with a 10x-30x magnifier for any visible wear debris in the oil filters (that wouldn't show up on a UOA) is the other needed part of the comparison. It's entirely possible to have elevated wear with visible metal debris caught in the filter, and not see much up-tick in UOA wear metals in one short OCI. It takes long trends to see something like that. Some examples of that have been discussed in other threads about excessive wear and UOAs to detect it.

If you believe the short UOA info, then it still says that very short OCIs don't need as efficient of an oil filter to keep wear from dirty oil in check. That's been mentioned in many threads about how oil filter efficiency can keep the oil cleaner and help reduce wear. The oil filter is the last line of defense once debris gets into the oil, regardless of the source of the contamination. A more efficient filter will always keep oil cleaner than a less efficient filter.
Expand for the bold part. That is what I'm trying to say with the "grace period" wording I used. When contamination of the oil reaches a point of excessive wear with a less efficient filter or efficient one. Not that it has no wear at all. I think the same as you about clean oil. But I'm not going to say it's some fragile oil that can't stand some level of debris without causing excessive wear to the engine. Just trying to add more clarification. 👍

Expand for the bold part. That is what I'm trying to say with the "grace period" wording I used. When contamination of the oil reaches a point of excessive wear with a less efficient filter or efficient one. Not that it has no wear at all. I think the same as you about clean oil. But I'm not going to say it's some fragile oil that can't stand some level of debris without causing excessive wear to the engine. Just trying to add more clarification. 👍
Contamination with what? And how is any oil fragile as compared to the level of debris? None of this makes any sense.

The oil itself will perform the same in terms of performance parameters associated with the oil viscosiy and formulation regaurdless of the level of debris in the oil - all others factors affecting oil performance being constant.

The level and type of contamination, and how long that contaminated oil is pumped through the oiling system (the OCI) determines the wear factor associated with the dirty oil. A dirtier sump of oil pumped more times through the oiling system will cause more wear than cleaner oil not pump as long through the oiling system. Where the "grace period" is defined when the contamination level of the oil reaches a point of excessive wear with a less efficient filter or an efficient one is anyone's guess without doing some controlled long term and expensive test program.

But there's a simple and low cost solution to all that ... just use a high efficiency oil filter and take all the guess work out of trying to decide when the oil is "too dirty" with debris. Spending an extra 3 or 4 bucks for a good high efficiency filter instead of one $30 UOA (which won't tell you anything about the wear without doing many UOAs to track a long term trend) would equate to the difference of 8 to 10 filter cost deltas. And if it's a long OCI rated filter it could be used for at least 2 reasonable OCIs, which would cut the filter cost per OCI in half. What could be simpler than that to keep the oil cleaner for longer to help reduce some wear?

Last edited:
Looks like below 20u the stainless mesh really loses efficiency, which would be expected since the mesh is a fixed size. What does K&P say the efficiency is on that filter? It did pretty good above 20u, better than expected so it must be ultra fine screen.
I don't understand this?

Readers Digest for this post. Too short of a UOA

Huge thanks to the OP for doing this!!!!

The oil itself will perform the same in terms of performance parameters associated with the oil viscosiy and formulation regaurdless of the level of debris in the oil - all others factors affecting oil performance being constant.

The level and type of contamination, and how long that contaminated oil is pumped through the oiling system (the OCI) determines the wear factor associated with the dirty oil. A dirtier sump of oil pumped more times through the oiling system will cause more wear than cleaner oil not pump as long through the oiling system. Where the "grace period" is defined when the contamination level of the oil reaches a point of excessive wear with a less efficient filter or an efficient one is anyone's guess without doing some controlled long term and expensive test program.

But there's a simple and low cost solution to all that ... just use a high efficiency oil filter and take all the guess work out of trying to decide when the oil is "too dirty" with debris. Spending an extra 3 or 4 bucks for a good high efficiency filter instead of one $30 UOA (which won't tell you anything about the wear without doing many UOAs to track a long term trend) would equate to the difference of 8 to 10 filter cost deltas. And if it's a long OCI rated filter it could be used for at least 2 reasonable OCIs, which would cut the filter cost per OCI in half. What could be simpler than that to keep the oil cleaner for longer to help reduce some wear?
Yep, an efficient filter & good oil are good combos along w/severe oil change interval should cover most. Taking the guesswork or long term UOA testing out of the equation.

I don't understand this?
What's not understood? Look at the PCs of the two UOAs to see what I was describing. The wire mesh filter has a fixed screen size, and it shows in the PC data.

Based on the UOA in this post there was no noticeable additional wear from the prior test. No one is claiming a $30 UOA shows the "Best Oil" or "Which oil produces the lowest wear". A UOA can be used as a trending wear test though.
The tool doesn't have the resolution to allow you to draw that conclusion. There are so many factors that influence the ppm numbers that spectrography presents, it's like you trying to determine my waist size from a sample pulled 10 miles downstream from where I pissed in the river.

I believe that the oil will eventually get to a point of contamination that it will no longer have full wear protection & cleanliness. Is there no sort of "Grace Period" until oil gets too contaminated when additional wear & varnish starts? I would assume a UOA could show additional wear trends that dirty oil would be causing but short of that I'm not sure what else other than what I've mentioned earlier. The studies you mention said the clean oil caused less wear so when did the oil reach the diminishing returns & start additional wear?
There is a certain level of contamination required to start causing a meaningful increase in wear.

From a study that intentionally contaminated an engine's oil sump with varying concentrations of dust, wear increases roughly linearly with dust concentration above 10 ppm, but at 10 ppm, wear is only 1.6 times higher than the baseline with no added dust. Dust in engine oil at the end of an OCI should usually be < 1ppm with good air filtration and paved-road driving. The difference in wear between, say, 0.01 ppm and 1 ppm should be insignificant.

680536 - Dust in Engine Oil.jpg

It's the same for air and fuel filtration, with wear approaching baseline levels once it reaches a certain level of cleanliness.

680536 - Dust in Fuel.jpg

680536 - Wear vs Dust in Air.jpg

Dust in engine oil at the end of an OCI should usually be < 1ppm with good air filtration and paved-road driving. The difference in wear between, say, 0.01 ppm and 1 ppm should be insignificant.
If you look at all the UOAs in the "Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline" forum, the wear metals are way above 1000 miles on long OCIs. Keep in mind that everything that ends up in the oil is not from external dust making its way into the oil. Wear metals from metal-to-metal contact and combustion blow-by also contributes to oil contamination and additional wear debris. And the longer the OCI, the more contamination debris build up and wear metals ppm there will be.

Oil cleanliness vs engine wear studies show that the better the oil filtration, the lower the oil debris particle counts, and that results in a lower engine wear rate. There has never been one study done that shows that better filtration results in the same of less engine wear with all other factors held constant. And of course, the longer the OCI, the more important the filter's higher efficiency becomes.

Last edited:
From a study that intentionally contaminated an engine's oil sump with varying concentrations of dust, wear increases roughly linearly with dust concentration above 10 ppm, but at 10 ppm, wear is only 1.6 times higher than the baseline with no added dust. Dust in engine oil at the end of an OCI should usually be < 1ppm with good air filtration and paved-road driving. The difference in wear between, say, 0.01 ppm and 1 ppm should be insignificant.

680536 - Dust in Engine Oil.PNG
What would be interesting to see in this case (for example) is what does 50 ppm or 200 ppm of 0-5 micron test dust equate to on an ISO 4406 particle count per mL of oil. Did the study have any data correlating test dust particle counts to ppm of test dust? Based on the looks of the graphs, the study looks relatively old.

If you look at all the UOAs in the "Used Oil Analysis - Gasoline" forum, the wear metals are way above 1000 miles on long OCIs. Keep in mind that everything that ends up in the oil is not from external dust making its way into the oil. Wear metals from metal-to-metal contact and combustion blow-by also contributes to oil contamination and additional wear debris. And the longer the OCI, the more contamination debris build up and wear metals ppm there will be.
Wear metals tend to be a lot more abundant than dust, but it's possible that they don't cause as much wear for a given mass of contaminant, due to differences in abrasiveness or particle size. If wear metal particles tend to start out a lot smaller on average than 0-5 micron dust, it would take a lot more metal to start causing significant wear.

I don't know what size wear metals typically start out at, but they should be smaller than the thickness of the oil film where they're generated, so probably quite small on average. Is there a lower limit to the measurable particle size for wear metals in a UOA?

And of course, the longer the OCI, the more important the filter's higher efficiency becomes.
I think filtration is more important on long OCIs, but I don't think this has to do with abrasive wear. If an engine eventually pulverizes any particle large enough to cause wear, wear-causing particles wouldn't keep building up in the engine over an OCI. Sub-micron particles would keep building up, and may still contribute to issues like sludge formation.

High concentrations of wear metals could maybe cause significant corrosive wear as well, due to mixing of dissimilar metals. Maybe wear metals would also compete with anti-wear additives or friction modifier at component surfaces.

What would be interesting to see in this case (for example) is what does 50 ppm or 200 ppm of 0-5 micron test dust equate to on an ISO 4406 particle count per mL of oil. Did the study have any data correlating test dust particle counts to ppm of test dust? Based on the looks of the graphs, the study looks relatively old.
It's SAE 680536 from 1968. They didn't do particle counts on the used oil. Since ISO 4406 only measures >4 micron particles, and dust larger than that would be broken down by the engine, the test would really only pick up wear metals and other contaminants anyway.

Wear metals tend to be a lot more abundant than dust, but it's possible that they don't cause as much wear for a given mass of contaminant, due to differences in abrasiveness or particle size. If wear metal particles tend to start out a lot smaller on average than 0-5 micron dust, it would take a lot more metal to start causing significant wear.
If it's assumed that what ends up in the oil is wear metals and carbon/soot from the combustion blow-by (assume no dust for this discussion), then how much of the particles per mL that are 5u and below are the wear metals seen in the UOA, and how much is "other" debris created inside the engine? In other words, if you look at the OP's UOA for for the steel mesh K&P oil filter, there were 72,235-18,904=53,331 particles per mL that were between 4 and 6 microns. Some of the meal wear particles that size should be detectable by UOA. So if the iron ppm is 4 ppm, what does that equate to in terms of particle counts per mL?

Also, what we don't know is if there was any difference in wear metal ppm levels for those particles above 5 microns due to a difference in oil filtration because that type of UOA can't detect them if over 5-7u.

I don't know what size wear metals typically start out at, but they should be smaller than the thickness of the oil film where they're generated, so probably quite small on average. Is there a lower limit to the measurable particle size for wear metals in a UOA?
The wear particles detected by the UOA are 5 microns and smaller (some info says up to 7u are detectable). Did those detected wear particles start out that size, or did some start out much larger than that, and the particles not filtered out got pulverized after circulating over and over through the oiling system? Also, the MOFT can get very small in certain components of the engine ... especially in components running a lot in the boundary layer lubrication realm. Even the MOFT in journal bearings can get very thin, even very near or even zero depending on running conditions. Most engine wear studies say that most wear happens from particles less than 10u.

1701041555344.png

I think filtration is more important on long OCIs, but I don't think this has to do with abrasive wear. If an engine eventually pulverizes any particle large enough to cause wear, wear-causing particles wouldn't keep building up in the engine over an OCI. Sub-micron particles would keep building up, and may still contribute to issues like sludge formation.

It's SAE 680536 from 1968. They didn't do particle counts on the used oil. Since ISO 4406 only measures >4 micron particles, and dust larger than that would be broken down by the engine, the test would really only pick up wear metals and other contaminants anyway.
One study that used busses in real world service (the "Bus Study", SAE 902238), where there was no added debris to the sump like in this SAE 680536 test, it showed a good relationship between filter efficiency, oil particle counts and engine wear. The bottom line will always be that better filtration results in cleaner oil, which results in less engine wear ... even in real world engines.

1701038560239.png

1701041037579.png
1701041156225.png

Another engine wear study vs oil filtration efficiency.

1701038475333.png

This is a good SAE paper explaining all the mechanisms of engine wear. You can search for the PDF on-line.

1701040046232.png

Last edited:
Here's a link to a PDF download of SAE 881827. Read section 7 "REVIEW OF DIESEL ENGINE CONTAMINATION WEAR STUDIES" where they did real world field testing of different efficiency oil filters and did a whole bunch of UOAs to monitor wear metals. Look at the footnote on page 12 of the PDF - snipit below. Since the Spectrographic oil analysis is insensitive because it only can detect particles 5u or less, it makes the resulting change in wear metal ppm counts much lower than they actually could be.

SAE 881827 PDF Download Link

1701115227819.png

Here's another interesting graph that ties into this, where you can see if the wear is above normal (ie, benign). A Spectrographic oil analysis like used by Blackstone can't see any of the wear particulate above 5 microns signified by the red line. Only way to see the wear particulate above 5 microns is by a different test or do a visual inspection of the filter media, which would show a major wear problem going on. See Section 2 on page 772.

Source: See Section 2 on page 772.

1701115404918.jpeg

Reactions: twX
One study that used busses in real world service (the "Bus Study", SAE 902238), where there was no added debris to the sump like in this SAE 680536 test, it showed a good relationship between filter efficiency, oil particle counts and engine wear.
My problem with the bus study is that they equate the amount of wear metals in the oil with engine wear. At a minimum, they should be looking at the wear metals trapped in the filter media as well, and adding this to the total wear metal count.

There's one field study I've read that measured actual component wear (SAE 710813). It did show a significant reduction in wear in diesel engines with better filtration.

Most engine wear studies say that most wear happens from particles less than 10u.
In the Cummins test, it's unclear if it was done with or without oil filtration. The more efficient the filtration is, the more wear will be biased to smaller particle sizes. There's a radioactive tracer study that measured wear vs particle size with no oil filtration, and found that 10-20 and 20-40 micron particles were most damaging. (SAE 650866)

Another interesting aspect of this test is that it shows the effect of larger particles getting pulverized into the 0-5 micron range within the first hour of engine operation.

Particle Size vs Wear.jpg

Please tell me that isn’t the infamous bus study.

I would not get too excited over particle counts, it seems the OP made a good effort in maintaining consistency but fairly small sample differences seem to impact results appreciably.

My problem with the bus study is that they equate the amount of wear metals in the oil with engine wear. At a minimum, they should be looking at the wear metals trapped in the filter media as well, and adding this to the total wear metal count.

There's one field study I've read that measured actual component wear (SAE 710813). It did show a significant reduction in wear in diesel engines with better filtration.
I don't recall what kind of UOA they used in the Bus Study. If it was more sophisticated than a spectrographic type of UOA then it could have has a much larger particle size range detection.

In the Cummins test, it's unclear if it was done with or without oil filtration. The more efficient the filtration is, the more wear will be biased to smaller particle sizes. There's a radioactive tracer study that measured wear vs particle size with no oil filtration, and found that 10-20 and 20-40 micron particles were most damaging. (SAE 650866)

Another interesting aspect of this test is that it shows the effect of larger particles getting pulverized into the 0-5 micron range within the first hour of engine operation.

1701122833650.png
I'd think the Cummings wear particle size vs wear rate was most likely without filtration because if it was filtered that would skew what they were trying to measure, which was the effect of particle size on wear rate of different engine components that operate at different MOFT. The filter efficiency effect was included in the real world field testing of course to see the impact of oil filtration level on engine wear.

The info in the table in SAE 650866 could be seen in a few different ways without knowing exactly how the testing was done. For instance, did they do each of those dust size ranges one test at a time with the same total number of dust particles in each test? - ie, did they do a separate wear test for dust 0-5u and another separate test for 0-10u, 10-20u, etc? What was the dust size break down and volume for the 0-80 micron dust test? Apparently the reduction in engine wear rate in the 30-60 min period of the test is due to the particles breaking into smaller particles, but what's strange IMO is if that's the case then you'd have more smaller partilces to do wear, and as the Cummings and this test show, even the smaller particles cause wear. Did the study say how small the particles broke down to ... was it something like 1 or 2 microns?

If you look at the dust particle size ranges in the 0-30 min wear rate, it looks the highest wear rate is still for particles 20u and below. The Cummings study points to 10u and below. But any way you look at it, a high efficiency oil filter is going to filter more particles 20u and smaller than a "rock catcher" would, and therefore keep the oil cleaner which will help reduce long term engine wear. The bottom line is that every oil cleanliness vs engine wear test concludes that better filtration and cleaner oil always results in less engine wear.

The info in the table in SAE 650866 could be seen in a few different ways without knowing exactly how the testing was done. For instance, did they do each of those dust size ranges one test at a time with the same total number of dust particles in each test? - ie, did they do a separate wear test for dust 0-5u and another separate test for 0-10u, 10-20u, etc? What was the dust size break down and volume for the 0-80 micron dust test? Apparently the reduction in engine wear rate in the 30-60 min period of the test is due to the particles breaking into smaller particles, but what's strange IMO is if that's the case then you'd have more smaller partilces to do wear, and as the Cummings and this test show, even the smaller particles cause wear. Did the study say how small the particles broke down to ... was it something like 1 or 2 microns?
They performed separate tests with each type of dust. The dust samples had the same total mass, not the same number of particles. The 0-80 micron dust was "Standardized Fine Air Cleaner Test Dust", probably based on old SAE standards but similar to modern ISO Fine A2, which has a fairly linear distribution by mass.

They weren't able to measure the final particle sizes, but explained their reasoning to why they thought the wear rates indicated that the dust was all getting ground down to the same size:

"Another piece of important information is shown in Table
6. The second column shows the wear rates in milligrams/
hour caused by each of these fractions of road dust during
the second half hour after the add. Note the similarity of
the second half-hour rates of fractions larger than 0-5 mi-
crons to the first half-hour rate of 0-5 microns. They are
almost identical. Something is happening to the dust as the
test time progresses to make it all wear like the 0-5 micron
fraction did initially. There is no filter in the circuit, so
none of the dust is being filtered from the oil.

The Standardized Fine Air Cleaner Test Dust acts in the
same fashion, and a further measurement of the wear rate
occurring during the time between the first hour and the third
hour shows that it continues to decrease with time.

We have hypothesized that the dust is changing in parti-
cle size by grinding in the oil pump and between the wear-
ing surfaces of the engine. Some change in particle size
distribution of and reduction in the amount of recirculating
contaminant undoubtedly does occur from settling out of
particles, particularly the larger ones. However, the data
show that the 0-5 micron fraction also changes quickly, and
it is hard to visualize that a significant amount of these small
particles settles out of lubricating oil in half an hour.

Attempts at measuring the particle size distribution of
contaminants in crankcase oil by us, and by others have been
largely inconclusive, because of the many variables involved,
and because of the difficulties of sampling and measuring.
However, we do know from these studies that, in general,
contaminant grinding does occur in an engine. Also recent
work by the SAE Filter Test Methods Committee has shown
that the contaminant mixing pumps on the SAE standard oil
filter test stand, as well as the oil flow pump itself, do cause
contaminant grinding to a marked degree.

This information might tend to support a theory that the
original particle size of a test dust is of little relevance be-
cause it is quickly ground up by the engine into small parti-
cles less than 5 microns in size. If we were concerned only
with sump clean-up over a long period of time, this premise
might be acceptable, but since we are concerned with en-
gine wear, and since the grinding of contaminant in the en-
gine obviously causes engine wear, we must be concerned
with the particle size of test dust. "

Particles = wear
More and bigger particles = more wear
Going from a state of the art 1970s 40mu filter being "standard engine wear", going to a 7mu filter will reduce wear 85% and the engine could last 7 times longer.

^^^ Quotes from the SAE 650866 paper above:

"We have hypothesized that the dust is changing in parti-
cle size by grinding in the oil pump and between the wear-
ing surfaces of the engine. Some change in particle size
distribution of and reduction in the amount of recirculating
contaminant undoubtedly does occur from settling out of
particles, particularly the larger ones. However, the data
show that the 0-5 micron fraction also changes quickly, and
it is hard to visualize that a significant amount of these small
particles settles out of lubricating oil in half an hour."

Wonder if they looked for embedded particles in the soft journal bearings?
Maybe some of that going on reduced the amount of dust circulating. 😄

"Attempts at measuring the particle size distribution of
contaminants in crankcase oil by us, and by others have been
largely inconclusive, because of the many variables involved,
and because of the difficulties of sampling and measuring.
However, we do know from these studies that, in general,
contaminant grinding does occur in an engine. Also recent
work by the SAE Filter Test Methods Committee has shown
that the contaminant mixing pumps on the SAE standard oil
filter test stand, as well as the oil flow pump itself, do cause
contaminant grinding to a marked degree."

This testing was done in 1965, so not sure what kind of particle count testing
was available then, and how accurate it was. It would have been interesting to
see an accurate particle count of the virgin oil spiked with the test duct verses
the used oil after the test run to see how the particle count distribution changed
from the testing.

Last edited:
Back