Video - Best Oil Filter for Hyundai? Fram Ultra 9688 Missing Bypass!?

I change filters every oil change, every 4k miles on my Kia cars, easy, quick and cheap to do and gives me peace of mind.
Between 3750-5000 or 6 months should be the golden rule of car ownership! I changed the oil on a friend's car recently that hadn't been changed in 2 years and over 13,000 miles. We'll see how long that car lasts with the way he takes care of it haha.

I ran 5k miles OCI on Sportage once, oil was very nasty with thick floaters, 4k seems to be the ticket with this engine. Also, I start to see oil level going slightly down after about 3k miles into OCI so I need to add a bit; level stays put for first 3k miles.

I normally use STP XL or Fram Titanium with the pink media on 1.6L Gamma on the friends Kia Rio. The last one I pulled off her vehicle was in decent shape but collected sludge at the bottom due to 1 year of use and lots of short tripping.

I've spent a lot of time on this forum among others looking for info on the best filter to use for the Hyundai 2.4 Theta ii non-turbo engine. With posts going out of date as manufacturing has changed, and with a lack of information on many of the filters available for this engine, I finally bought my own filters to cut open and posted a video on it. I've been wondering what's inside these things for a while, and I'm glad I'm able to contribute this information to others who are looking for it:

- Super Tech ST9688
- Mobil 1 M-104A
- Fram XG9688
- Fram TG9688

Two of the most interesting things I found from doing this:
  • Though the filters had differing heights, widths, pleat counts, end caps, and core diameters, the total filtering surface area of each filter remained pretty consistent (much more than I expected, though all a lot less than the oem 26300-35505).
  • Finding that the Fram Ultra 9688 was missing the bypass valve spring and plastic plug. This style bypass valve is on so many filters these days, and I've never seen or heard of this happening. The filter was sealed with a sticker when I purchased it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't tampered with. I'll likely contact Fram about this, since an unknowing person could've used this filter and had some unexpected issues!

That fram missing

I've spent a lot of time on this forum among others looking for info on the best filter to use for the Hyundai 2.4 Theta ii non-turbo engine. With posts going out of date as manufacturing has changed, and with a lack of information on many of the filters available for this engine, I finally bought my own filters to cut open and posted a video on it. I've been wondering what's inside these things for a while, and I'm glad I'm able to contribute this information to others who are looking for it:

- Super Tech ST9688
- Mobil 1 M-104A
- Fram XG9688
- Fram TG9688

Two of the most interesting things I found from doing this:
  • Though the filters had differing heights, widths, pleat counts, end caps, and core diameters, the total filtering surface area of each filter remained pretty consistent (much more than I expected, though all a lot less than the oem 26300-35505).
  • Finding that the Fram Ultra 9688 was missing the bypass valve spring and plastic plug. This style bypass valve is on so many filters these days, and I've never seen or heard of this happening. The filter was sealed with a sticker when I purchased it, so I'm pretty sure it wasn't tampered with. I'll likely contact Fram about this, since an unknowing person could've used this filter and had some unexpected issues!

The M1 looked really good. I’m a regular user of the ST type champ ecores.
That Fram Ultra missing the bypass valve is just one more example of what a disgrace fram has become. That’s absolutely unacceptable. We’ve seen missing filter pleats from the factory as well with fram.
Anyway whatever, I can’t imagine why anyone in the know would give any fram filter other than the endurance (champ labs made) the time of day.

That fram missing

The M1 looked really good. I’m a regular user of the ST type champ ecores.
That Fram Ultra missing the bypass valve is just one more example of what a disgrace fram has become. That’s absolutely unacceptable. We’ve seen missing filter pleats from the factory as well with fram.
Anyway whatever, I can’t imagine why anyone in the know would give any fram filter other than the endurance (champ labs made) the time of day.

Yeah right. 🥱🥱🥱🥱

Contact Fram, link your video and give them the date code. They will probably send a replacement or two.

Would anyone want Purolator or any other M+H made filters based on all their messed up filters posted here? :unsure:🙃

Back