Hyundai/Kia OEM Oil filter, 3.8K CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is for the model 26300-35504 (newest version) made for Hyundai/Kia by MANN+HUMMEL (Korea).
This was with M1 0W-40 Euro oil (non-FS) for 3,864 miles as my daily driver in my '12 Kia Optima SX 2.0T.
I took hot oil samples for both Blackstone and Oil Analyzers for a combined report.

I used my new JEGS 80532 oil filter cutter on it to open it up (very easy).

Overall, I am very impressed with the construction quality of this filter. Pretty heavy duty. I forgot to take a picture of the ADBV, but it was in very good condition, pliable and without cuts, etc. The mail oil tube has many round holes in it, the pleats were well spaced and without tears or other damage and it has metal end caps. Upon some inspection, I detected no metal flakes in the filter. You can see some dirt in the bottom of the can. The bypass valve looks well made and has the standard metal plate/leaf type spring.

My only knock on this filter is that we don't really know the filtering quality but some older reports for the previous version are 99.2% at >50 microns which is not so good I'm thinking. I suspect the FRAM Ultra XG9688 will be much better.

My imgur album for this: http://imgur.com/a/YLjYo

Last edited:
For those interested, the FRAM Ultra XG9688 that I will switch to has a different construction (obviously).

The holes on the base plate are MUCH smaller but there are more of them. The internal round holes in the center metal core tube are smaller and not really very regular in their pattern. It also seems a bit smaller than the Hyundai/Kia OEM filter but with MUCH better (and known) filtering quality. Filtering quality is 99%+ at >20 microns. I'm looking forward to running it in the future.

My imgur album for what a brand new FRAM Ultra XG9688 filter looks like is here: http://imgur.com/a/VaSVK

My ultimate desire would be the Hyundai/Kia OEM design but with the FRAM Ultra filtering media.

My OCI is 4K miles regardless (severe service).

Last edited:
Thanks for the cut and paste. I'm happy with either, plus NapaGold and STP XL.

Originally Posted By: WhizkidTN
This is for the model 26300-35504 (newest version) made for Hyundai/Kia by MANN+HUMMEL (Korea).
This was with M1 0W-40 Euro oil (non-FS) for 3,864 miles as my daily driver in my '12 Kia Optima SX 2.0T.
I took hot oil samples for both Blackstone and Oil Analyzers for a combined report.

I used my new JEGS 80532 oil filter cutter on it to open it up (very easy).

Overall, I am very impressed with the construction quality of this filter. Pretty heavy duty. I forgot to take a picture of the ADBV, but it was in very good condition, pliable and without cuts, etc. The mail oil tube has many round holes in it, the pleats were well spaced and without tears or other damage and it has metal end caps. Upon some inspection, I detected no metal flakes in the filter. You can see some dirt in the bottom of the can. The bypass valve looks well made and has the standard metal plate/leaf type spring.

My only knock on this filter is that we don't really know the filtering quality but some older reports for the previous version are 99.2% at >50 microns which is not so good I'm thinking. I suspect the FRAM Ultra XG9688 will be much better.

My imgur album for this: http://imgur.com/a/YLjYo

Totally agree. The fram ultra will filter much much better than the OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back