What is your current favorite oil filter to use?

Mine has always been the Fram Ultra. However I see Fram has added the Titanium and Endurance now.
Unfortunately Meijer quit carrying Fram, so I bought a Mobil 1 filter this time. I have no problem with M1 filters but just wasn't my first choice.

What is your current favorite? Does price play a part in your decision?

Mine has always been the Fram Ultra. However I see Fram has added the Titanium and Endurance now.
Unfortunately Meijer quit carrying Fram, so I bought a Mobil 1 filter this time. I have no problem with M1 filters but just wasn't my first choice.

favorite filter is any OG wire backed ultra or titanium. next would be an endurance then any of the premium guards that are silicone gasket/ADBV. if i cant find any of those i’ll default to a purolator BOSS as i dont trust non wire backed media at the moment. nor do i like a nitrile ADBV.

correction: i dont trust non wire backed media from fram/M+H. the premium guards aren’t wire backed but if you look at any of the C&P’s they come out laser straight with zero deformation.

Last edited:
Price plays a good chunk of the buying decision. Value filters like Premium Guard may not be wire backed but they are hard to beat for value if the price on your particular filter is reasonable. Reinforced media such as Purolator's SmartFusion is nice & It's no secret how much I like Purolator brand. Looking at their air filters now. :)

Been using Premium Guards for 10 years, Fram's for the longest, & Purolators in the last 10-12 years. My $0.03c

Last edited:

Donaldson

Don’t care that they have nitrile ADBV. Next would be OG wire backed ULTRA’s I have

For my GM cars i use ACDelco when they seems to be holding up fine and are easy to order in box of 10pcs, Used to buy WIX from a Swedish low price store Biltema but its a long time since i seen a WIX filter on shelfs there.
and for my European cars i use MANN, Mahle, Bosch and Meyle depending on the one that are aviable to get easy.

I just went to the Purolator BOSS for my 12 Kia Optima. Will change to the BOSS on my 23 RAV4 at the next oil change. I have confidence in their filters. Very well made. Decided that the Toyota filter isn't sufficient enough filtration for me.

I just went to the Purolator BOSS for my 12 Kia Optima. Will change to the BOSS on my 23 RAV4 at the next oil change. I have confidence in their filters. Very well made. Decided that the Toyota filter isn't sufficient enough filtration for me.
the toyota has likely better filtration efficiency. the boss line is mostly 99% @ >46um. check out the post today about the new wire backed supertec filter.

the toyota has likely better filtration efficiency. the boss line is mostly 99% @ >46um. check out the post today about the new wire backed supertec filter.
Ascent showed 99%@34Um & ST is 99%@30Um. That is basically the same filtration. If ST can be had w/wire backing from one of those three part numbers, that fits a Kia, then it could be a great deal however.

Ascent showed 99%@34Um & ST is 99%@30Um. That is basically the same filtration. If ST can be had w/wire backing from one of those three part numbers, that fits a Kia, then it could be a great deal however.
just stating that he likely went backwards on filtration efficiency instead of forward as he thought.

After spending hours and hours watching Whip City Wrencher, and reading this forum: my conclusion was I dont care much about brand except that it does the job and doesn't cost a retail arm and a leg. If I'm in a rush I'll get a Toughguard at Walmart. I was impressed with ChampionXL/Supertech MPs from a material/value/cost standpoint and stocked up some but they didnt cost enough to where if they are all ruined in 10 years I wont cry putting them in the dumpster. I did buy a few Endurance's recently for the Riding mowers and probably wont have to change them for 2+ years.

OEM from the dealer every time; I don't even look at the receipt; $9 versus $18 twice a year is insignificant; (Once I bought a 6 pack off Amazon, but now I'm to sketched out about receiving counterfeit.

Back