*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
GC seems to have gone by the wayside. I personally thing SSO is 2 times better than GC. I have used both GC Green and Gold and SSO. I am sticking with the SSO.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Buster have the mpgs increased yet? I am expecting them to soon.

No.

MPG seems to be increasing by about 1 mpg. I have a MPG gauge in the car, and it has slowly been moving up. It recorded the average MPG, not the current MPG like some others do. It keeps track of the whole tank of gas, and you can reset it at any time. I know my Ford that I used to have used to change when you pressed the accelerator. Doesn't happen with this car.

With my current gas fill, it is getting about 1 MPG better than the previous OCI. Same driving, same route, no changes in average speed.

Originally Posted By: buster

No.

I see no reason why your MPG would change Buster. But then again I rarely see Steve S in M1 or RP mpg claim threads.......
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I just change my wife's 2004 Subaru 2.5 RS over to the SSO from the TSO and I was a little skeptical if I would notice any difference. To my surpise the car was smoother, quieter, and felt like it didn't have to work as hard. Since I purchased a case I will change my WRX's oil also tonight with it.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

No.

I see no reason why your MPG would change Buster. But then again I rarely see Steve S in M1 or RP mpg claim threads.......
LOL.gif
crackmeup2.gif

I have never noticed any one using M1 or RP claim an increase in mpgs .I don't think there has been anything claimed for RP worth posting about. There should be an increase in mpg because it is Amsoil.

I have never noticed any one using M1 or RP claim an increase in mpgs .I don't think there has been anything claimed for RP worth posting about. There should be an increase in mpg because it is Amsoil.

M1 claims 2% MPG increase. Oops I mean UP TO 2%. The thread is current.

Originally Posted By: Pablo

M1 claims 2% MPG increase. Oops I mean UP TO 2%. The thread is current.
Oops I mean UP TO 2%. Thankyou!!!

Update: 1,500 miles on SSO. Down about 1/5qt already. No improvement on mpg.

I have about 9,000 on ASM 0w20 in the Mazda. Might just switch back to Amsoil 0w20 being it doesn't appear the SSO is reducing any oil consumption, which is why I gave it a shot.
cheers3.gif

Be patient buster, let the SSO work it's magic.It took a while for my Civic to stop burning oil, may be the same for yours.

I have about 9,000 on ASM 0w20 in the Mazda. Might just switch back to Amsoil 0w20 being it doesn't appear the SSO is reducing any oil consumption, which is why I gave it a shot.
cheers3.gif

Sometimes oil consumption is not related to oil choice....or rather, you can only reduce oil loss by so much with oil choice.

cheers3.gif

1/5 of a quart in 1,500 miles? That doesn't sound too bad. Is that what your engine was doing before the SSO?

No, it was less with the other oils but that is nothing unusual when switching brands.

Well, after changing my WRX over to SSO I had the same results, however I did notice that temp gauge is ever so slightly up. What would be the cause? Using a slightly thicker oil?

Originally Posted By: littletank
Well, after changing my WRX over to SSO I had the same results, however I did notice that temp gauge is ever so slightly up. What would be the cause? Using a slightly thicker oil?

You have had more oil consumption or less? What were you using before?

Switching oils can often result in increased oil consumption for several thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: littletank

I am a little suprised to hear this. So far, everyone that has used the SSO has commented on how much cooler their engines have run.

No, it was less with the other oils but that is nothing unusual when switching brands.

buster, before switching to Amsoil 0W-30, I used Castrol 5W-30 GTX. On a 3,000 mile trip, I burned 3 qts of the Castrol and the rear bumper was all sooty around the exhaust pike. The car had 85,000 miles on it at the time. Many thousands of miles later, I did the same trip this time with the TSO in the sump. I think it was about 125,000 miles. This time, the oil was still at the full mark when I returned. Mind you, this didn't happen overnight. The engine still went through some oil for a while. Now with 242,000 miles on the engine, the SSO level is full at all times, I have almost given up checking it anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back