*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK buster, here goes. I just completed a 2,100 mile trip. I changed the SSO just before leaving.
The oil level did not change at all, it was still full when I got back.
I averaged 45.5 MPG all HWY. The Civic originally stickered at 38 MPG HWY in 1993.
All travel was done on I-95, except a small amount on 495 and 270.
Civic now has 245,000 miles.

Last edited:
Down 1/2qt at 3,200 miles. So, this engine just consumes that amount regardless of oil. I was driving very fast/highway miles.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Buster it might be a rpm thing [oil consumption]

I agree.

My Corolla uses 24oz in 4000 miles when running Syn.

When I run conventional 5w-30 (only grade the car has seen) like Halvoline DS it drops to around 1/3 quart (I do not top off since it is so little) in 7k.

Both you and I Buster do the 3k RPM for some time driving. I think it does use more oil.

You should do a OCI with Pennzoil conventional or Halvoline DS and see how things go. And really be daring and get a UOA after 7k...
shocked2.gif

Take care, Bill

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: Steve S
Buster it might be a rpm thing [oil consumption]

I agree.

My Corolla uses 24oz in 4000 miles when running Syn.

When I run conventional 5w-30 (only grade the car has seen) like Halvoline DS it drops to around 1/3 quart (I do not top off since it is so little) in 7k.

Both you and I Buster do the 3k RPM for some time driving. I think it does use more oil.

Take care, Bill

I think you are right. I was thinking of just using Havoline again.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
$10.10 a quart list price + shipping???? They must be mad!
Worth every penny it is magic oil.

My Civic used to burn oil when I was using Castrol 5W-30 GTX, especially during 75 MPH runs. It continued to burn oil under these conditions for a while after changing to Amsoil TSO. The oil burn eventually stopped after continued use of the TSO. Now I can't get the engine to burn off any even at 90 to 110 MPH. This is why I say to give the SSO a chance, go for a few OCI's to see if this happens to your engine as well.

Buster just use Havoline 5w30 you're just wasting money on this overpriced overrated Amsoil. Also think about Maxlife another great choice.

JB - let's see you post the same for the RLI users. RLI is over $11/quart and the shipping is a lot more than Amsoil's shipping cost.

Bill - please, different cars and when was last time you ran synthetic oil and how many times? Apples to oranges.

SSO is not overated - Buster's car burns some oil, and has continued to do so with his first 3000+ miles on SSO. What's the big deal? I want to see any of the oils mentioned in Buster's car - dollars to donuts they will burn at a faster rate and will look downright dangerous at 15,000 miles.

In some cars I have seen downright marked consumption improvement with SSO. I cannot say or know why. These cars had no known mechanical problems to begin with. My Volvo has always used a bit of oil....I put SSO early last fall. Finally as we approach May (7+ months) I see the dipstick a mm or so off the full mark.

Yeah, this isn't the SSO's fault at all. I want to be clear about that. It's how I drive that is the main reason why I burn oil and why I gave this oil a shot. Has nothing to do with SSO.

The Honda 2.4 does seem to respond better to 20wt oils although this oil is very quiet at high rpm. It's amatter of whether I want to keep adding makeup oil that is expensive.

Quote:
Bill - please, different cars and when was last time you ran synthetic oil and how many times? Apples to oranges.

I've run Syn for 2 OCIs in my Subaru and 2 OCIs in my Corolla lately.

Ran the Syn in the corolla from 11k to around 28k (I'd go do a search but need to keep my blood pressure down so approx those numbers)

Also have run a OCi of syn here and there.

The fact is this car uses more oil using syn than conventional.
21.gif

At least I'm running both oils, trying both with a open mind and do UOAs.

you think I'd get a little respect over the blanket "brand XX is the best for Xx OCI" responses we see here.

I'm about to just give it up.
33.gif

Just go do my thing like I have for 30+ years and hundreds of thousands of miles , save the $$ and blood pressure.

Who needs to help anyone??

Take care, Bill

Agree it's not the oil's "fault". It seems that the better flowing,less dense, oils tend to exhibit more consumption/burn off. I think it is also a function of the rpms the engine sees. 02.

Originally Posted By: buster
Yeah, this isn't the SSO's fault at all. I want to be clear about that. It's how I drive that is the main reason why I burn oil and why I gave this oil a shot. Has nothing to do with SSO.

The Honda 2.4 does seem to respond better to 20wt oils although this oil is very quiet at high rpm. It's amatter of whether I want to keep adding makeup oil that is expensive.

Buster, I don't know if all engines respond to the SSO like mine did. Please keep trying the SSO to see if your engine comes around. It may take a couple of changes to get to that optimal level, yeah I know, it is a little expensive, but if I didn't experience the elimination of the oil burn first hand, I would not advise you staying with the SSO.

The SSO is 7.75/quart.
7.48 / quart when purchasing by the gallon.

This is a lot cheaper than the 10.10 some have stated.

You can extend your OCI to make it cheaper and more effective than pretty much any OTC syn oil not on sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back