*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cooper
The SSO is 7.75/quart.
7.48 / quart when purchasing by the gallon.

This is a lot cheaper than the 10.10 some have stated.

You can extend your OCI to make it cheaper and more effective than pretty much any OTC syn oil not on sale.

Plus, if you live near a distributor, you can get the SSO without shipping.

I got the price right off Amsoils Corperate web site so check your facts! I am not a idiot and can read a web site especialy something as simply as price!! Then you have shipping and now a 5% surcharge to boot on top of that! Not all of us are willing to pay Amsoil $20 a year for the privalage of shoping with them at what should be their market price to begin with. I can only imagine how insane everyone would feel if Walmart made you pay $20 a year to buy their products at their reduced price but offered them for sale to anyone at the say a 30% higher price. Their entire prefered customer program is revolting in my mind and is what stops me from useing their product or doing business with the fine people that sell their wounderful products. Notice I have no problem with the people in the marketing chain or their product since this is entirely Amsoils doing!

Sam's Club owned by Wal Mart and Costco charge something like 50 bucks a year for the privilege of shopping there. I don't see anything wrong with it. The 10 dollar chump change for a 6 month membership pays for itself very quickly.

Even Sportsman's Guide, a major online sporting goods retailer has a preferred membership price.

John Browning - I wouldn't have any problem with your griping like a stuck pig if you bellyached about the pricing of RLI and other higher priced oils as well. Maybe I missed you jumping in those threads....

The PC program is not revolting - and there is really no reason why a person buying a case or more per year shouldn't do it. To assume what you think is the market price of any product is fine, but last I checked we are still somewhat of a free economy and suppliers can charge what the market will bear.

Originally Posted By: JohnBrowning
I got the price right off Amsoils Corperate web site so check your facts! I am not a idiot and can read a web site especialy something as simply as price!! Then you have shipping and now a 5% surcharge to boot on top of that! Not all of us are willing to pay Amsoil $20 a year for the privalage of shoping with them at what should be their market price to begin with. I can only imagine how insane everyone would feel if Walmart made you pay $20 a year to buy their products at their reduced price but offered them for sale to anyone at the say a 30% higher price. Their entire prefered customer program is revolting in my mind and is what stops me from useing their product or doing business with the fine people that sell their wounderful products. Notice I have no problem with the people in the marketing chain or their product since this is entirely Amsoils doing!

John, sadly everything is going up in price, Amsoil is no exception. I buy their products despite their MLM due to the obvious superiority of their offerings. I will admit this is not for everyone, so many other very good oils and filters are available. I choose to use the best oil and filters I can buy. Sure it costs me a bit more, but I really like how my Civic performs with the SSO and the fantastic UOA's considering that I now have over 245,000 miles on the clock.

The one way I could make Amsoil make economic sense for me (ie, no shipping) failed. A few yrs ago while on a trip to the bro&sis inlaws in Dallas Tx I tried to go by the Ams. dist. ctr. The dist. ctr. is right between Ranger stadium & Six Flags (or thereabouts). It was opening day for the Rangers and Six Flags was cranking. The 20 mile trip took about 1 1/2 hours & I got there after they closed.

May try it again on the next trip - coveting some of those Ea filters. I would leave one of those on for 18 months no problem.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
The one way I could make Amsoil make economic sense for me (ie, no shipping) failed. A few yrs ago while on a trip to the bro&sis inlaws in Dallas Tx I tried to go by the Ams. dist. ctr. The dist. ctr. is right between Ranger stadium & Six Flags (or thereabouts). It was opening day for the Rangers and Six Flags was cranking. The 20 mile trip took about 1 1/2 hours & I got there after they closed.

May try it again on the next trip - coveting some of those Ea filters. I would leave one of those on for 18 months no problem.

I hate when that happens, when you eventually connect, you will experience a fantastic oil/filter combo. My mileage went up but I see that others have had no MPG increase. The Amsoil distributor is 165 miles from me. I plan my trips to return during their business hours to save as much as I can on the SSO and EAO's.

Oh I freq. recomend Amsoils products because I believe they make a fine product!!! In fact their S3K 5W30 is one of my favorite products! I also like their Universal ATF!!! So just want to make sure everyone knows I am not bashing their products!!

Pablo I do bash priceing on other high priced oils! I made a huge stink about the price of RLI's products! My Dad always said that "Some people have more money then brains!" and I have to say that this statement is definately true in mind when it comes to some of these high end oil's! Luckily like you said we have a market driven economy and people are free to market their product for what ever the market will bear. Like wise if people want to light their cuban cigar's with $20 bills theya re free to do so! I almost had a heart attack when I first say the price of RLI's oil's!!!

In my mind I draw the line some place between $6.95 and $9 dollars as my personel upper limit for oil. That includes all associated cost's includeing shipping and $20 a year prefered customer fee etc.... You will not see me useing Fuch's or any other over the top high priced oil's. When Redline was $6.96 a quart I would use it but if it is anything like Amsoil then they have priced themselfs out of my comfort zone.

Now I can see the higher price if someone actualy did the 12 month oil change interval. Then the cost is not that bad.

I am not saying at some point Pablo I would not pay the $20 to join the program but I do find it revolting.

Originally Posted By: buster
Originally Posted By: littletank
Well, after changing my WRX over to SSO I had the same results, however I did notice that temp gauge is ever so slightly up. What would be the cause? Using a slightly thicker oil?

You have had more oil consumption or less? What were you using before?

Switching oils can often result in increased oil consumption for several thousand miles.

There is no comsumption at this point. I was using Amsoil's TSO. Have running this oil for a while the temp gauge is back to where it was before.

I have 5 qts at home and an EAO29 and was trying to decide wether to run it in my daughters 04 Aveo(1.6L) or my wife's 03 Impala(3.8L),the Imp loses about a 1/4 of a quart in 6k,let's see what the SSO will do in the Imp!

My wife's driving will put this oil to the test,5 days a week its started and driven 1.5 miles off for 5 hours,started and driven 1.5 miles home,off for ?? and could be driven on the highway once a day or once a week,it does get up to full temp daily at some point but it's a stop & go kinda schedule. Amsoil says 1 year or 17k under severe conditions,we'll see.

Originally Posted By: Bambam
I have 5 qts at home and an EAO29 and was trying to decide wether to run it in my daughters 04 Aveo(1.6L) or my wife's 03 Impala(3.8L),the Imp loses about a 1/4 of a quart in 6k,let's see what the SSO will do in the Imp!

My wife's driving will put this oil to the test,5 days a week its started and driven 1.5 miles off for 5 hours,started and driven 1.5 miles home,off for ?? and could be driven on the highway once a day or once a week,it does get up to full temp daily at some point but it's a stop & go kinda schedule. Amsoil says 1 year or 17k under severe conditions,we'll see.

Sounds like an interesting test, please keep us posted.

You the man Bambam! The Amsoil and M1 engineers have done their homework, stated their case, backed it up in writing - yet, apparently, to no avail. The short trip recommendation I hear most is 3k for conventional and 5k for synth.

You'll probably find that your wear metals accumulate up a few ticks, and this level of wear metal increase will have your car smoking slightly at the 1.2 million mile mark. So I would run it out to 1.4 million or so and then sue the pants off Amsoil.

Add another soon to be SSO user to the list (this weekend hopefully). After using GC for several years, I just wanted to try Amsoil.

I nearly went with something thicker, but littletank's use of TSO/SSO in a modified WRX and the price of gas helped me decide on the SSO.
55.gif
Plus everyone says that "thin is in". Well, some of you.
grin2.gif

My daily trips are 5-7 miles each way and I'll be making a trip to RI in May and to SC in June. I usually only had about 1/2 quart consumption with GC in 7,500 miles, but it went up to 1 qt. in 8k on the last one.

-Dennis

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: harry j
Originally Posted By: Bambam

Sounds like an interesting test, please keep us posted.

I plan on a uoa at 8500 or so and then if all is well on to 17!

UOAs are needed yes. Lots of early warning signs to get from them. But UOAs (imo) breed a "perfectionism" mentality. There's a bazzilion folks out there who don't know any better and are taking Amsoil and M1 at their word. If they ever did a UOA they'd probably stop dead in their tracks and become part of the 7.5k/6 month crowd because "the iron readings are high".

I'm confident that all the ignorant folks out there running Amsoil to 1yr OCIs, and running M1 EP to 15k - they're all pushing their oils to where most UOA readers wouldn't dare - and in the end it's all the same. No oil related problems - for the UOA reader, nor for the ignorant soccer mom who believed the Amsoil rep.

Note: Amsoil and M1 EPs warranties don't state - "below average iron readings at 15k" or "TBN > 3.0 at one year". The engine is a messy chemistry lab. Those who want a prestine lab will chg their oil at 3k. And studying a UOA can give a sense of urgency for the prestine lab (if you let it).

btw - I'm not disrespecting those who want a "prestine lab". I'm just pointing out the UOA gazing can have you chging SSO at 5k if you let it.

Last edited:
Well I do not have a problem with a 12 month oil change interval witht he proper level of filtering and some initial UOA to confirm things are on track. For example my 2003 Camry would not have any problems with insane wear metals over a 12 months OCI but Insolubles would easily get out of control espcialy here in Michigan with our super cold winters! I have seen how easily this car can push the limit of insolubles in a 6 months OCI so even though wear was great the insolubles became the issue. This is often true of most Toyota's. So with out testing how would one know?

This is why I am either going to use bypass filtration or at the very least change out my el cheap-o AAP oil filters every 6 months when I attempt a 12 month oil change interval soon.

I do not want to have to use LC20 to control insolubles for a 12 month oil change interval. If the synthetic oil can not do it on it's own then the economy is false. I really like LC20 but I want to see what the oil can do buy itself.

Now if the oil consumption was high enough then you would not have to worry about tbn as the replenishment would keep the tbn and other chemistries intact. My car does not burn any oil that can be discerned by the dipstick even when 10,000 or more miles have been put on in 6 months time.

Well I do not have a problem with a 12 month oil change interval witht he proper level of filtering and some initial UOA to confirm things are on track. For example my 2003 Camry would not have any problems with insane wear metals over a 12 months OCI but Insolubles would easily get out of control espcialy here in Michigan with our super cold winters! I have seen how easily this car can push the limit of insolubles in a 6 months OCI so even though wear was great the insolubles became the issue. This is often true of most Toyota's. So with out testing how would one know?

This is why I am either going to use bypass filtration or at the very least change out my el cheap-o AAP oil filters every 6 months when I attempt a 12 month oil change interval soon.

I do not want to have to use LC20 to control insolubles for a 12 month oil change interval. If the synthetic oil can not do it on it's own then the economy is false. I really like LC20 but I want to see what the oil can do buy itself.

Now if the oil consumption was high enough then you would not have to worry about tbn as the replenishment would keep the tbn and other chemistries intact. My car does not burn any oil that can be discerned by the dipstick even when 10,000 or more miles have been put on in 6 months time.

Originally Posted By: ericthepig
Note: Amsoil and M1 EPs warranties don't state - "below average iron readings at 15k" or "TBN > 3.0 at one year". The engine is a messy chemistry lab. Those who want a prestine lab will chg their oil at 3k. And studying a UOA can give a sense of urgency for the prestine lab (if you let it).

btw - I'm not disrespecting those who want a "prestine lab". I'm just pointing out the UOA gazing can have you chging SSO at 5k if you let it.

I really like this statement. Maybe not the 3k statement though. Not too many engines can make one sso change live atleast 17k without abnormal tbn or a spike in some form of wear. I do like to see the high mileage uoa's though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back