*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was not my only experience. My wife's 96 Accord did a 1,600 mile trip and averaged 35.4 MPG. Most of this figure was highway but some was local driving. This is the cumualitive average.

The UPS man just arrived, no SSO only the ATF. I was told that the SSO is on backorder, is word getting out how good this oil really is or is Amsoil just unable to keep up with demand (same thing I guess). I hope the oil quality doesn't suffer because of this, victim of their own success.

Originally Posted By: klvaleri
Question on SSO 0W30. Can this SSO 0W30 oil with K&N oil filter good for 10K OCI? Thanks.

In a clean engine, in good working order - no problem.

NOB question follows: I have seen in one bitog post (can not find it now) that Exxon is one of Amsoil suppliers. Do they supply the base 0w-30 oil that Amsoil then formulates SSO from or does Amsoil have it own refinery?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: smithph
NOB question follows: I have seen in one bitog post (can not find it now) that Exxon is one of Amsoil suppliers. Do they supply the base 0w-30 oil that Amsoil then formulates SSO from or does Amsoil have it own refinery?

smithph, I read somewhere that Exxon/Mobil does indeed supply the raw base material for Amsoil. I of course have no idea if this is true or not. perhaps Pablo would know. Anyway, the finished products are top notch.

Originally Posted By: harry j

smithph, I read somewhere that Exxon/Mobil does indeed supply the raw base material for Amsoil. I of course have no idea if this is true or not. perhaps Pablo would know. Anyway, the finished products are top notch.

ExxonMobil supplies some of the PAO's used by Amsoil. (Because they are a large supplier of good PAO's) BUT they are not the only supplier to Amsoil nor does it have bearing on the end product as you state. It is an interesting supplier/customer relationship without doubt, and I am entertained by people who say the two oils are the same.

If you read the Mobil website, Mobil doesn't formally acknowledge Amsoil. They don't say Amsoil is better or worse, just that Mobil is confident in its products and they feel how widely manufacturer approved and recommended they are is statement enough when asked a loaded question in their Ask Mobil 1 section.

As well, it seems like every time Amsoil publishes a test for anything, it goes Amsoil, a gap to Mobil 1, and then all other comers a similar distance to that between Amsoil and Mobil 1 behind Mobil 1. I am not saying there is manipulation, but I am saying it always seems to appear that "if not for Amsoil, Mobil 1 would be the best" in those tests.

I am sure that ExxonMobil doesn't want to step on the toes of a big customer, and that Amsoil is somewhat dependent on that XOM business relationship. There are only so many suppliers of PAO out there, and ExxonMobil happens to be the biggest. Amsoil dealers (I am not saying Pablo and Gary and Don, but there are a lot of them out there who are not that reputable) seem to talk a lot of trash about Mobil 1, but Amsoil itself takes the high road.

I am sure that Amsoil is comfortable with the situation, as is Mobil. Amsoil makes good products, as does Mobil, and really as far as major brand oils are there even really bad ones out there?

Quote:
As well, it seems like every time Amsoil publishes a test for anything, it goes Amsoil, a gap to Mobil 1, and then all other comers a similar distance to that between Amsoil and Mobil 1 behind Mobil 1. I am not saying there is manipulation, but I am saying it always seems to appear that "if not for Amsoil, Mobil 1 would be the best" in those tests.

I've noticed that. M1 does very well in independent testing from practically everyone that does test it. Oil analysis would make you wonder. It's kind of like Redline. People say great things about it, but you wouldn't know it from oil analysis results.

I just placed my order for some SSO today along with some other stuff! I cant wait till I see those boxes on my front step. A big thanks to Pablo for setting up my commercial account and answering all of my questions! Amsoil customer service is also top notch. Great experience
10.gif

Buster if you notice in BITOG oil analysis' with a brand x oil some are stellar but most aren't, not really bad but not what is expected. The advertisements and tests are the stellar results.

Originally Posted By: MGregoir
If you read the Mobil website, Mobil doesn't formally acknowledge Amsoil. They don't say Amsoil is better or worse, just that Mobil is confident in its products and they feel how widely manufacturer approved and recommended they are is statement enough when asked a loaded question in their Ask Mobil 1 section.

I am sure that ExxonMobil doesn't want to step on the toes of a big customer, and that Amsoil is somewhat dependent on that XOM business relationship. There are only so many suppliers of PAO out there, and ExxonMobil happens to be the biggest. Amsoil dealers (I am not saying Pablo and Gary and Don, but there are a lot of them out there who are not that reputable) seem to talk a lot of trash about Mobil 1, but Amsoil itself takes the high road.

I am sure that Amsoil is comfortable with the situation, as is Mobil. Amsoil makes good products, as does Mobil, and really as far as major brand oils are there even really bad ones out there?

MGregoir, I am not oil analysis nor know anything about oil at all, just regular consumer tried to find what best oil out there, but it seems like Amsoil is good according the people this site. I have found a guy that knew a lot about this Aimsoil from other Nissan site his user name il_signor. Why don't search for this guys and read what he wrote about M1, Aimsoil, PP, and Castro 0W30 from Germany. I hope I get his right.

35 miles on SSO so far. It's not smoother or more quite than any other oil I've used. Tad more sluggish in the Honda 2.4L, which does call for a 20wt. That is not surprising, but I want to see if burns off less.

Originally Posted By: BarkerMan
buster, how often do you change brands of oil? And how many vehicles do you support?

I've been averaging 10-11k mile drains with the Accord. I've primarily used M1/Amsoil.

The Mazda 3 has Amsoil 0w20 with about 8,500 on the oil. 12,500 on the car.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: harry j

ExxonMobil supplies some of the PAO's used by Amsoil. (Because they are a large supplier of good PAO's) BUT they are not the only supplier to Amsoil nor does it have bearing on the end product as you state. It is an interesting supplier/customer relationship without doubt, and I am entertained by people who say the two oils are the same.

Pablo, I was talking about Amsoil's finished products.

Originally Posted By: buster
35 miles on SSO so far. It's not smoother or more quite than any other oil I've used. Tad more sluggish in the Honda 2.4L, which does call for a 20wt. That is not surprising, but I want to see if burns off less.

buster, what other oils have you used? I remember when I first installed the SSO. I thought that it was similar to the TSO and was hard pressed to tell any difference at all. That is until some MPG numbers showed an improvement and the UOA's showed hardly any wear metals. Now after using the SSO for a while, I can state that it is functionally superior to the TSO, subjectively and objectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back