*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: harry j
I just put the SSO in my '93 Civic. My first impressions are that the engine runs smoother and has more pickup than the TSO. These are only impressions, we will have to wait for the UOA to learn more. I keep comprehensive fuel usage records, it will be interesting to see if there is any MPG difference.

Cool. How long before a uoa? Are you running it long?

Buster,
I plan to go 5,000 miles before the UOA, but who knows, I may do it sooner. I am using the EAO20 filter and a neodymium drain plug magnet. The oil stays pretty clean with this combination. I have a new AFE Dry Pro air filter that I'm itching to install. I wanted to see if any performance improvements were due to the SSO, and so far, that is a resounding YES!

Dragging this one back up.

I just put in my first order for some AMSOIL. I've been trying a bunch of different oils recently, GC, RP, and the car says to use M1. RP was the worst, making my valvetrain so loud it was annoying.

I decided to order 14qts (6.5/change) SSO and 2 Ea filters. I figured if I'm going to pay a premium I might as well get the best of the best.

The SSO is going in my 06 GTO with an LS2. The internals are stock, but it has headers, intake, ported TB, and a tune. It gets drag raced about once a month and I'm pretty nice to it most of the time besides that. How long do you think I can run this oil for, I've been doing 5k changes with others.

I would say 7.5-10K would not be unreasonable. Were you planning a UOA?

I hope you ordered from a site sponsor!
whistle.gif

quantim0,

As Pablo suggests, 7.5 to 10K should be easy. Keep an eye on MPG's and engine noise. Try to notice especially any noise on startup and how long (if any) it lasts.

Harry

I have been using the new SSO for some time now and can make some observations. The fuel mileage has gone up vs the TSO. The engine runs incredibly smoothly. Wear metals are extremely low or non existant. Startup is quiet (no lifter noise). Probably the thing I like best is the engine pulls like there are a few more ponies under the hood. Any one else?

Originally Posted By: Pablo
I don't know about all that. But my Volvo has consumed zero oil in almost 6K miles.

Yes Pablo, I forgot to mention that. The oil level stays full, there is no apparent oil burn off. I don't have to add any SSO between oil changes. As far as the rest of it, it is all true, This is easily the finest oil I have ever used.

Quote:
The oil level stays full, there is no apparent oil burn off. I don't have to add any SSO between oil changes. As far as the rest of it, it is all true, This is easily the finest oil I have ever used.

SSO seems to have a very good resistance to burn off.

harry, I don't doubt it's a very good oil but if you go to other forums, you'll soon find that most of what you think is a smoother running engine is psychological and variations in gas quality.

I actually came across a forum where several members claimed M1 0w40 made their engines noticeably smoother..go figure.

Originally Posted By: buster
Quote:
The oil level stays full, there is no apparent oil burn off. I don't have to add any SSO between oil changes. As far as the rest of it, it is all true, This is easily the finest oil I have ever used.

SSO seems to have a very good resistance to burn off.

harry, I don't doubt it's a very good oil but if you go to other forums, you'll soon find that most of what you think is a smoother running engine is psychological and variations in gas quality.

I actually came across a forum where several members claimed M1 0w40 made their engines noticeably smoother..go figure.

I do believe that this statement is false. A smoother running engine is not psychological. Sometimes when it is running good, and you change oil, and think, "it may be better", then it is psychological. But, with the variences in oil weights, base stocks and such, you can tell a big difference between different oils. For me, I can't run GC in my 2.5 Altima. I really wanted it to be good, but it runs rough, idles hard etc... When I put in 5w30 Pennzoil Platinum, it purres again, no harsh idle, and start up noise is gone. If it was psychological, GC would have been great, because I have a stash of it, and I really wanted to run it in this car. I have tried it twice, and both times, the same thing.

Coop, I agree with what you said. I also think in some instances we want to think it's better. That was point. No doubt some oils can improve engine performance to some degree.

I just got home from a trip to Gainesville, FL. Round trip mileage was 603 and The Civic burned 12.9 gallons of Shell regular gas. That comes out to 46.7 MPG.

Hi all,

Contributing late to this thread. I'm running AMSOIL SSO 0w30 in my 06 Civic SI; now in for over 4k miles and planning on running it another 10k (K&N Panel filter and EaO oil filter).

I've run Mobil One 5w30 extended maintenance, PP 5w30, Royal Purple 5w30, Supertech 5w30, and AMSOIL Series 2000 0w30...

This engine starts the same at 10 degrees fahrenheit as it does at 40...it starts BETTER this winter than the past winter, and the stock battery is a year older.

Engine feels great, returns some of the best fuel economy I've seen (though my driving habits have changed since I switched to AMSOIL)....

But the characteristic I'm truly loving is resistance to burn-off. Previously, all oils were consumed at a rate of 1 quart every 1200-2500 miles (or as much as 1 quart every thousand). The Series 2000 only required 2 quarts in 9500 miles that I ran it. The SSO is still reading almost completely topped off after thousands of miles...I'd guess I'd need about 1 quart every 5000 miles, but it might even be higher.

Further, both the Series 2000 and SSO do not darken much. I don't know what that means, to be honest, but the Series 2000 at 9500 miles was a amber color and the SSO at 4k looks only slighter darker than it did going in (just enough darker to make it easy to read on the dipstick).

My one UOA, at 9500 miles on the series 2000, showed wear to be consistent with UOAs of the same engine after 5300 miles.

I think it's a wonderful oil.

That being said, my wife and I intend to get a Subaru Legacy GT 5-speed for her next vehicle. They pretty much require shorter intervals (there's enough going on with them and proper lubrication that I wouldn't stretch it beyond 7k). For that, I feel like GC 0w30 would be a good application (the almost 40 weight characteristics may be good for the turbo engine), or Pennzoil Platinum, or Rotella 5w40 synthetic.

As much as many poo-poo the idea that a different oil results in a different engine feel, I completely disagree. My Civic SI ran like rawer on the Royal Purple...much more raw feeling when it revved, more vibration.

My wife's 03 Saturn Ion ran smoother tha it's ever been when I switched in Rotella 5w40...I feel like the heavier weight helped damp down the engine.

Just figured I'd share :)

Joe

Quote:
But the characteristic I'm truly loving is resistance to burn-off. Previously, all oils were consumed at a rate of 1 quart every 1200-2500 miles (or as much as 1 quart every thousand). The Series 2000 only required 2 quarts in 9500 miles that I ran it. The SSO is still reading almost completely topped off after thousands of miles...I'd guess I'd need about 1 quart every 5000 miles, but it might even be higher.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to give it a shot. Every oil I've used was consumed at the same rate. I've read numerous times that this oil has a very good resistance to burn off.

My car runs fantastic on M1 0w20. Amsoil/RL/M1/MC all consumed at a rate of 1/2 qt per 5k miles. I was thinking of trying M1 0w30 or 0w40 to see if it would slow consumption. come to think of it, I ran GC 0w30 and consumption was also 1/2qt per 5k so viscosity doesn't seem to be the issue.

Using the SSO, the oil level is still at the full mark at oil change. The engine definately runs smoother, but the thing I like best is the lack of upper end clatter at startup.

Using the SSO, the oil level is still at the full mark at oil change. The engine definately runs smoother, but the thing I like best is the lack of upper end clatter at startup.

Ordered 6qts today. I'm going to see if it lowers my 1/2qt per 5k mile oil consumption. If not, back to M1 0w20.

I did a 5,000 mile trip some time ago. The oil level was full when I left, and was so close to full when I got back, that you could still consider it as full. I mean perhaps an ounce low if that. I will be interested in your results buster. How long will it take to get to 5,000 miles?

'93 Civic, 241,000 miles

I did a 5,000 mile trip some time ago. The oil level was full when I left, and was so close to full when I got back, that you could still consider it as full. I mean perhaps an ounce low if that. I will be interested in your results buster. How long will it take to get to 5,000 miles?

'93 Civic, 241,000 miles

Probably about 2 months?

I don't doubt it's a very good oil, I just get skeptical of the "this oil made my engine so smooth" comments. However, with TSO/SSO I've heard it too many times not to believe it has some impact on performance whether that be reduced oil consumption or noise.

I should have it by Thurs.

2 months, good. Please post your impressions as soon as you can. It is good to be skeptical, you just have to try it for yourself. The SSO is really that good though. I first rely on manufacturers claims, then I try the product. Few come close to what is promised. The SSO is one that does, in fact (proven to me), it exceeded my expectations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back