*New Amsoil SSO 0w-30

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is wierd as I was on the Amsoil site this morning thinking about using it in my '03 GMC Sierra with 124,000 on it!
crazy2.gif

I have been using mostly PP and Amsoil ASL on occasion.
thumbsup2.gif

I tow quite a bit and it gets used as a real truck should get used. The SSO may be worth trying in my application??

Pablo or anyone??

Originally Posted By: tpitcher

I have been using mostly PP and Amsoil ASL on occasion.
thumbsup2.gif

I tow quite a bit and it gets used as a real truck should get used. The SSO may be worth trying in my application??

Pablo or anyone??

If you were using ASL in the past then SSO is worth a go. I've had it in my nearly 120K mile 1996 Volvo 850 for nearly 6 months and I have seen no movement on the dipstick. I've never seen this with ANY oil in this engine. Even when brand new. And with this engine, regardless of viscosity - when the oil is new, the engine is quiet and smooth. As I get the toward the next oil change I can hear/feel slight differences in the engine, again regardless of oil. Not so with SSO - sounds exactly like I just changed the oil. Call me a freak.....

It used to be that I couldn't keep a case of ASL 5W-30 around -still can't because most all cars are 5W-30 (not many locals buy 0W/5W-20 including new Honda/Ford/Toyota/etc owners....hmmm.....I try to tell them....). Point is I never sold much TSO, I even thought it was overpriced and had no confidence......but now, I can't keep enough SSO....these guys aren't BITOGers, so who is spreading the word? I have 6 qts right now, probably need to drop them by somebody by Friday.....need to get a couple more cases.

Pablo,

Is it OK to use SSO on Honda Accord V6? Honda recommended 5W20 and How long will this SSO last before next interval OCI. I have been used Amsoil 5W20 for last two oil change. Thanks for your advice.

Originally Posted By: klvaleri
Pablo,

Is it OK to use SSO on Honda Accord V6? Honda recommended 5W20 and How long will this SSO last before next interval OCI. I have been used Amsoil 5W20 for last two oil change. Thanks for your advice.

I'm not Pablo but yes it is, but also consider Amsoil 0w20. Very good oil.

One of the service advisors at Honda is now using the SSO in his new Accord, he is amazed at how much difference this oil made in his engine.

Pablo,

It will work fine. But I do recommend 0W-20 ASM (or 5W-20 XLM) unless you drive like Buster. (Italian Racer Dude)
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Pablo,

It will work fine. But I do recommend 0W-20 ASM (or 5W-20 XLM) unless you drive like Buster. (Italian Racer Dude)
grin2.gif

LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: harry j
One of the service advisors at Honda is now using the SSO in his new Accord, he is amazed at how much difference this oil made in his engine.
Running that thick honey like 30 wt oil must make the engine feel sluggish and the mpgs must take a hit.
blush.gif

Lol at this thread...

I want to add some things about my lack of burn off experience with AMSOIL. I went from driving 18k a year to about 25-30k a year, so my amount of driving increased...therefore, I am putting my miles on the car in an equivalent time period. Furthermore, I am doing so while starting the car less cold and putting more miles on it between start-ups.

What this means, to me, is that where previously I may have driven 6-7 miles per cold start-up, I am now driving 10 miles per cold start-up (numbers used as example only). So the chance for the oil to be lost as a result of in-adequate sealing on cold-start up has lessened...this may be part of the reason my burn-off has gone down so completely.

Pablo - I had a 1995 Volvo 850 turbo. When I bought it in 04 with 113k miles on it, the oil that came off the dipstick (after the car had been sitting) had literal grit in it. Not only was it black, but it looked like it had been collecting dirt. I, foolishly, ran a cycle of gunk motor flush through the engine. Nothing bad happened, and the next oil was must cleaner. I tried a variety of oils over the next 28k miles of ownership, and I found that two oils resulted in the best feel:

A synthetic blend (I bought it on a whim, heavily discounted, Castrol Syntec 5w30) and a 5w40 full synthetic.

My thought was that those robust volvo 5-cylinders tend to run smoother with a heavier weight oil in them.

Regardless, that turbo engine was a tank. [censored], I even drove it for a few miles after the trans hose to the trans oil cooler came out, spilled all the trans fluid, and with the transmission slipping insanely. Filled it back up with el-cheapo trans fluid and off we went :)

Joe

Joe, thanks for the feedback. There is something unique about this oil that does help reduce oil consumption. Probably some fancy ester.

Originally Posted By: Steve S
Running that thick honey like 30 wt oil must make the engine feel sluggish and the mpgs must take a hit.
blush.gif

That simply has not been the case. It stays rather hot here in south Florida and the 0W-30 is just the ticket.

Originally Posted By: buster
Joe, thanks for the feedback. There is something unique about this oil that does help reduce oil consumption. Probably some fancy ester.

Whatever it is buster, it works! I have just about given up (gasp) checking the oil level at all.

Whatever it is buster, it works! I have just about given up (gasp) checking the oil level at all.

If my order arrived today, it will go in the car this w/e. No oil to date has been any different from the next. 1/2qt per 5k. I'm very curious what it does.

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have used the SSO in my 98 4Runner for two cycles and about 15k. The car has not used a drop. Fantastic oil.

Did it ever burn any oil?

Originally Posted By: e55amgbenz007
I have used the SSO in my 98 4Runner for two cycles and about 15k. The car has not used a drop. Fantastic oil.

Did it ever burn any oil?

My Civic used to go through a quart of Castrol GTX 5W-30 every 1,500 miles. It left a large hidious black mark on my bumper. After a couple of TSO changes, oil consumption stopped, smudge was gone! The SSO is even better, mileage is up, engine runs incredibly smoothly, turbine like, and no noise on startup. It gives instant oil pressure. I went 503 miles recently before refueling, 10.6 gallons for 47 MPG.

Quote:
My Civic used to go through a quart of Castrol GTX 5W-30 every 1,500 miles. It left a large hidious black mark on my bumper. After a couple of TSO changes, oil consumption stopped, smudge was gone! The SSO is even better, mileage is up, engine runs incredibly smoothly, turbine like, and no noise on startup. It gives instant oil pressure. I went 503 miles recently before refueling, 10.6 gallons for 47 MPG.

harry, don't take this personal but I think you are REALLY stretching it a bit. I've used almost every brand of oil on the market and many Amsoil oils and I never noticed any significant differences. The grade of gas i used by far had more of an impact. Sorry, I'm not buying it.

buster, I am only reporting from my personal experiences. I keep an extensive fuel log and the Civic did indeed go 503 miles and only required 10.6 gallond of Shell regular. I am very pleased that the dark smudge on my rear bumper is history. The engine with now 241,000 miles on lt, runs like a Swiss watch. It was some time ago when I took the plunge and installed the TSO. The difference between what I was using and the Amsoil was like night and day. The SSO is that and more. It sounds like you haven't tried it yet. Please give it a shot and then report back. I am very interested in hearing from your experience.

Harry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back