NEW 3/17/23, Quaker State Ultimate Protection FS w/20k mi or 1 yr guarantee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm wondering how much Moly would be in there along with boron. If it is an SP rated oil, I am guessing zinc took a hit as did calcium. GTL based for sure as it is a SOPUS product.

Competition is still and not everyone uses BITOG to get the nitty griddy details on oils. You think the average Joe gives a crap about add packs? They see "up tp 20k miles" and they start jumping for joy. Ignorance is bliss sometimes and knowledge definetly is a double edged sword. None the less, I am sure this is a good oil. and if swapped out at 5k miles with a stout filter, you will never run into a oil/engine related issue.

All of the shelf oils are great, it comes down to marketing, brand loyalty and price for the everyday non BITOG consumer.

Well shoot... Pennzoil Platinum they offer 500,000 mile warranty. Are they more confident in that product? Or just trying to boost sales of Quaker State? Then again, there is no cash prize for trade in value on the Pennzoil warranty once you hit 300k miles

Top tier according to whom/what?
Me. My logic is that there are specialty/boutique oils like Amsoil, HPL, Redline, then top tier mainstream oils, like Castrol, Pennzoil, QSUD, Mobil, then there is all the rest, from branded (Kirkland, Supertech) and the no-name stuff from wherever. Not much help, but I know where oils fit into my rubric on sight. Sorry that there is no science here, but the original thread was, essentially, asking whether Quaker State was in with the good brands (I think so), or not.

This will sit on shelves and not sell around here. The amount of ignorance concerning QS never ceases to amaze me. We offer full service LOF QSFS for 44.88 and Castrol Edge for 62.88, never have to reorder the QS ecobox.
In another thread, maybe sometime last week, it was pointed out that QS has suffered from a damaged reputation due to some problems they had back in the '70s or '80s. I resist using it because of the problems I had with it in the early 1960s. In retrospect, those problems may have only been perceived or may have had other causes, but our Chevy engine was toast after 32,000 miles using only Quaker State Super Blend. Regardless, I've eschewed QS ever since then. Bad feelings are sometimes hard to overcome.

For anyone who wants to make their favorite oil brand 20,000 miles capable, I have some stickers that I can print on my laser printer and you just stick them on the bottle. It works for any brand!
I went over 17k on PUP that people seem skittish to run 5-6k on for some reason. Some people would be amazed what oils can do if they rely on unemotional data rather than histrionics and groupthink.

Just look at what @dnewton3 has done with “unworthy” conventional oils- churning out great numbers at distances farther than most people on the board will run full synthetics! Because he uses data and not emotions!

Does it have a bigger additive pack, does it have more or less magnesium, calcium, zinc, is the viscosity a little higher or a little lower from the start, etc compared to the regular full synthetic. What is so wrong about wanting to know these details?
There’s nothing wrong at all wanting to know, but you’re missing the point. Every manufacturer will take a slightly different path to their final product; but when there are certifications involved there’s really only a handful of ways to blend an oil for something like d1G3. If sticking to “certified” oils, I’d personally look for the one that meets my engine specs, and then also meets one of the much more stringent Euro specs as well. Euro specs are much more “performance” based rather than “bench-testing” based and there will be some differences there.

About the only way there would be a difference in cleanliness is if an oil had ANs & esters, and that won’t show up in a UOA.

I have much more faith in XOM making a 20k mile oil than Shell. Not that Shell can't do it, but Mobil has shown through multiple videos (Engineering Explained being one) of the extensive testing they've done to ensure the product is capable. QS hasn't done anything and Pennzoil owns Jiffy Lube lol.

View attachment 145576
This graph shows time on the x-axis. The meaningful variable is mileage of distance. The graph must be for a very long (years) time horizon.

In another thread, maybe sometime last week, it was pointed out that QS has suffered from a damaged reputation due to some problems they had back in the '70s or '80s. I resist using it because of the problems I had with it in the early 1960s. In retrospect, those problems may have only been perceived or may have had other causes, but our Chevy engine was toast after 32,000 miles using only Quaker State Super Blend. Regardless, I've eschewed QS ever since then. Bad feelings are sometimes hard to overcome.
Find a good “cleanse thy soul” meme … it’s just as relative to oil from that period …

This will sit on shelves and not sell around here. The amount of ignorance concerning QS never ceases to amaze me. We offer full service LOF QSFS for 44.88 and Castrol Edge for 62.88, never have to reorder the QS ecobox.

Same here... Quaker State is ALWAYS one of the last on the shelves at Wally World here in my town when stock is running low.... Multiple times now ALL the 5W-30 was gone EXCEPT for Quaker State.

Mobil & Supertech is always the first to go, then pennzoil/castrol and then Valvoline and quaker state are the ones that seem to sell slower...

There is a Walmart right next to my work so I often walk through there on lunch.. so I always take a peek at the oil section every couple of days.. LOL

$23.98? I haven’t been to Walmart in quite a while (thank god), but last I was there, I believe $23.98 would be the lowest priced 5 quart jug of synthetic they have on the shelf? Am I wrong? Or is Super Tech less than that?

But the last time I was in Walmart one of the workers by the door was loudly complaining that “there’s another one questioning why I‘m asking to see their receipt”. This went on for a loud five minutes, before I said...they’re questioning it because legally they don’t have to show you that receipt, it’s their property at that point, and if you suspect theft you can retain them and call the police, but they can legally refuse to show you their receipt if they want. She said I was wrong, and then told me to go F myself. Right in front of everyone. Never had that happen before😁😁

GTX synthetic is probably the comparable oil to QSFS.

Wonder if they'll make a high mileage version of this? 🤔
For another dollar of course they will!
$23.98? I haven’t been to Walmart in quite a while (thank god), but last I was there, I believe $23.98 would be the lowest priced 5 quart jug of synthetic they have on the shelf? Am I wrong? Or is Super Tech less than that?

But the last time I was in Walmart one of the workers by the door was loudly complaining that “there’s another one questioning why I‘m asking to see their receipt”. This went on for a loud five minutes, before I said...they’re questioning it because legally they don’t have to show you that receipt, it’s their property at that point, and if you suspect theft you can retain them and call the police, but they can legally refuse to show you their receipt if they want. She said I was wrong, and then told me to go F myself. Right in front of everyone. Never had that happen before😁😁
When you have them ship it to your house she doesn't come with the package to check your receipt!

Another reason why I try to avoid Walmart. (Besides their surveillance cams which are everywhere. I'm surprised they do make us go through a TSA scanner and then do a background check!) Crazy.... There are so many security aspects that asking for a receipt seems redundant at this point.

$23.98 is one of the lowest prices I've seen. Supertech (at one time) was the lowest priced... But now, QS seems to be. I think you're correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back